Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Route to Garda

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all

I know its a bit early but I am trying to plan next years holiday.As we are now both retired we are planning an epic 6 week trip part of which includes traveling to Lake Garda for a 5 day stay. We will be traveling in a 6 meter motorhome and my sister and her husband who are coming with us will be in their 7.9 meter Buccaneer caravan towed by a 3.2 litre Shogun. We wish to avoid motorways and toll roads particularly in France and Switzerland and are not in too much of a hurry to get there. I have worked out a route going via Reims,Colmar, Titisee, Lake Zurich,on Route 3 to Chur then the Julier pass to Silvaplana then onto route 29 and down through the SS38,SS39,SS42,SS510 to Iseo then on to Garda.We intend leaving in mid May and I have been assured by the Swiss tourist board that the Julier pass is always open and suitable for large caravans. Does anyone have knowledge of this route and is it a suitable route for a caravan of this size. I will add that my brother-in-law as an ex-trucker is a very competent and confident tower. We would be very grateful for any input on this subject and also any suggestions for campsites when we get to Garda.

all the best mike.b

Posted

We have been to the Lakes for the last 10 years, we usually go Dunkerque, Luxembourg,Saabrucken Pirmasen,Karlsruhe,to Stuttgart down to Ulm,Bregenz, Austrian motorway ticket but a lot cheaper than the Swiss, on to Landeck to Bolzan a really pretty drive, then on to the Italian motorway. Or Luxembourg to Nancy to Strasburge, Freiburg around Lake Konstanz it can get busy and in the height of the summer nose to tail.If you are going near Lake Iseo it is worth a stop we spend 2 weeks there. When at Garda we stay at Lazise at the municipal site the only drawback there is you cannot book so you have to just turn up we have never had a problem and we always go in August as long as you get there quite early. This year we are going through to Zurich then down to Chur to Lake Como on to Garda and Iseo. I hope you all have a wonderful time next year. ::):

Posted

done it on a motorbike over the stelvio pass ...... definately NOT suitable for a caravan

P.S. I came off at hairpin 25, they number them so that you know :blush:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stelvio+pass&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=567&prmd=ivnsfdm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wagMTpHqFYOp8APtptm1Dg&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ

Posted

We have been to the Lakes for the last 10 years, we usually go Dunkerque, Luxembourg,Saabrucken Pirmasen,Karlsruhe,to Stuttgart down to Ulm,Bregenz, Austrian motorway ticket but a lot cheaper than the Swiss, on to Landeck to Bolzan a really pretty drive, then on to the Italian motorway. Or Luxembourg to Nancy to Strasburge, Freiburg around Lake Konstanz it can get busy and in the height of the summer nose to tail.If you are going near Lake Iseo it is worth a stop we spend 2 weeks there. When at Garda we stay at Lazise at the municipal site the only drawback there is you cannot book so you have to just turn up we have never had a problem and we always go in August as long as you get there quite early. This year we are going through to Zurich then down to Chur to Lake Como on to Garda and Iseo. I hope you all have a wonderful time next year. ::):

Thanks for that Hairdresser, unfortunately my brother-in-laws unit has a combined weight over 3.5 tonnes so I believe he has to purchase a Go-box which is considerably more expensive. It looks like your route is very similar to ours.We are going that way through France and Germany as we want to make return visits to Riquewihr and Titisee which we have enjoyed immensely on previous visits. The municipal at Lazise is very high on our list. Also Camping Butterfly at Peschierra who make dogs very welcome apparently (molly our spaniel will be delighted to hear this im sure).

Curzon

Thats very thoughtful of them. Hopefully the Julier pass is not so dangerous

All the best mike.b

Posted

We have never taken the van but we have stayed here several times in their appartments & although no mention of it on the website we know they DID have a small area of pitches,I would recommend the site on the strength of the owners & apartments, never bothered having a good look round the campsite bit so cant vouch for that, passed camping butterfly a lot but again never been inside but from the outside it looks nice & is in an excellent location, 5 mins stroll into Peschiera & all its boat/ferry links plus the train station ( 2 hours to Venice or Milan)

http://www.luganamarina.it/rosa/index_ing.html

Posted

We are off to Lakes as well this year, making our way towards Iseo as well Hairdresser! We took up one of your recommendations a couple of years ago about Italy and have been back since!

We are going via Germany and Austria, but not stayed in any of these countries yet so just looking at sites. We can't decide whether to do two nights in Germany or two in Austria, so any recommendations would be grateful.

Hope you get everything planned, you are certainly organised. :daisy:

Posted

franco, I don't know when you are off to Iseo, we first went there the year before last in August and the campsite we went to first Campimg Quai could only put use up for 1 night so spent the rest of the day looking for another site most were full and we found one but were basically in the car park, so now we book the campsite we are on Camping Quai in the town of Iseo, we get the front row over looking the Lake,just a note in case you were just going to turn up in high season.

Posted

We are off to Lakes as well this year, making our way towards Iseo as well Hairdresser! We took up one of your recommendations a couple of years ago about Italy and have been back since!

We are going via Germany and Austria, but not stayed in any of these countries yet so just looking at sites. We can't decide whether to do two nights in Germany or two in Austria, so any recommendations would be grateful.

Hope you get everything planned, you are certainly organised. :daisy:

Have a look at my website for ideas for Germany and Austria. www.joysofeuopeancaravanning.co.uk Been with caravan 8 years running after over 30 years of going with just the car.

Posted

Have a look at my website for ideas for Germany and Austria. www.joysofeuopeancaravanning.co.uk Been with caravan 8 years running after over 30 years of going with just the car.

Great website Snooks. Have scanned it but will examine fully when I have more time. We have just come back from 9 days away. Very useful info on Germany which is our favourite country to tour. Such a variety of scenery, beautiful towns, good food and as we have found very friendly helpful people.

Posted

FAO HAIRDRESSER

Are you in Iseo now, if so, pm me please, we are there too!

Franco

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard