Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible fault with Thetford N112 Caravan fridge

Question

Posted

I have just bough a new 2 berth Elddis touring caravan, which is fitted with a Thetford N112 Caravan fridge. When fridge is switched on in 230v mains electric mode, the pipe which goes into the heat exchanger fins at the top rear of the unit is very hot to the touch and smelled a slight burning smell when switched on for the first few days. The fridge seems to be working ok but the temperature of this pipe is concerning me, it is too hot to touch with your finger, should it get this hot ? is this normal ? The other end of the same pipe, where it exits the heat exchanger fins at the other side seems to be only warm, not mad hot like the other end. I am reluctant to have to take the caravan back to where I bought it from due to the distance involved unless I can be sure that the fridge is genuinely faulty. Any technical advice would be most appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Posted

What you have is quite normal.

The top left hand side of the cooling coil will get VERY hot as that is where the newly vaporised coolant starts it journey through the system.

The top left should be slightly cooler(but not much) then as you feel down the coils it should get cooler until it is just warm where it re enters the heating chamber and starts all over again.

The burning smell is the same as any new heating appliance, it is the fresh paint "cooking" on and general "newness". It should dissapear after a while, which it seems has happened.

The "problems referred to in the previous post were to do with the gas side of things, which has been addressed by the fitting of Stainless Steel burners.

However, with Thetford fridges, as when on gas they vent inside the van body, they MUST be properly serviced (Burner removed and cleaned along with the chimney being cleaned) every year which is IN ADDITION to the normal Annual Caravan Service (it is also a very important requirement of the warranty)

Posted

This subject has been covered before.......personally, and my new van has the same fridge, I would speak to dealer and or Thetford a.s.a.p.................

There have been problems and this note from Caravan Club North Yorks Centre Chairman covers what has been found to date.BUT they are major manufacturers and problems are thought to be rare.........In the first instance your dealer has the responsibility....ring 'em soon.....

"Thetford Fridges (24/02/11)

As you know there have been a number of problems with Thetford fridges. Some to do with sooting up the flue and discolouring the outside of the caravan, some to do with fumes in the caravan and in one severe case the fridge actually caught fire.

I have had some problems with my Thetford fridge and have taken them up with Thetford, trading standards and through the Northern region committee have tried to coordinate how many people have had fridges that have caused problems.

The advice given by trading standards is as follows:

When buying a caravan always register the fridge with the maker, make sure the caravan is set up level, for safety have a carbon monoxide detector fitted in the caravan and have your fridge serviced annually, as per makers recommendations.

If you do have any issues about Thetford fridges then you should contact Trading Standards, Sheffield office who have taken up this issue on behalf of all members in the Northern Region who have had problems. You should contact David Reid, Trading Standards Enforcement Officer, Sheffield. Tel: 0114 2736286.

I can say that following a meeting with David Reid and Thetford; Thetford supply and sell 70,000 units annually and the reported problems are low. As for the fridge units they meet all directives necessary to be accepted as a safe, suitable for use appliance.

Stan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us know how you get on please

geoff

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard