Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New lightweight bottles in UK

Question

Posted

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

I reckon if you use a lot of gas you would pay for them in about 10 fills !

51 answers to this question

Posted

the bottles are 10 years ,

any more questions ??

Posted

A quick check of the independent by my work shows a price of 70p per litre, with the average UK at 76 ppl.

So if i fill a 6kg bottle with 12 litres, it costs me £8.40. Using a lite bottle Calor want £23 for the same fill.

£8.40.

£23.00.

You do the sums.

Posted

Ive got a distributor/retailer close to my work which makes these a VERY viable option.

Only thing i cant work out is what connection they use to connect to the van?

They use a standard propane regulator.

Posted

any reg , but you must have it screwed in fully otherwise the safty devise wont turn off

Posted

The other question I have is the recertification issue.

How often?

And is their a recertification scheme, or is it a case of having to purchase another new cylinder.

All that is stopping me at present is the distance to the nearest "official" refilling station.

Posted

where are you at chilly , we filled three up yesterday , without any problems at a total station useing a shell gas pump

Posted

Linda and me went to the Newark show and met up with Nick and 'friends' and a constant swarm of people asking questions about the bottles, nice bit of kit, similar to the BP bottle but taller and with a greater 16.4lt liquid gas capacity.

My only gripe is getting round Calors strangle hold? the problem is Insurance over re-filling your own, there's certainly no 'real' problem, of that I'm sure, but who would Insurance companies ask for advice? Calor of course!! :undecided:

Posted

come and have a look at newark show this weekend , we have stock to view

as for gas , try and find a garage that sells gas for heating , then you wont pay the road duty so cheaper gas

Posted

I would imagine the figure is, or almost, zero.

There are no specific tailored training or licensing in existence for fork lift drivers who self fill their own bottles, despite it being a far more risky proposition than filling the same bottles somewhere else.

Posted

I would imagine the figure is, or almost, zero.

There are no specific tailored training or licensing in existence for fork lift drivers who self fill their own bottles, despite it being a far more risky proposition than filling the same bottles somewhere else.

Lenny....if that number of deaths recorded goes to 1...I am sure Beck will do you a deal on the audi and 'van !!!

Posted

Seen them, played with them, and filled em..... Two going in my van as soon as I can afford em. :thumbsup:

Anyone want a couple of calor lites cheap?

Posted

Well I'll say 'thanks' for doing that. It made for interesting reading, and if I were in the market for the existing GasLow refillable system, I'd seriously consider this as an alternative. The gas bottles may be more expensive, but you don't need a shedload of hoses and adapters to use them, and they're what bump up the cost of the GasLow system as I recall.

Yes, the gas thing has been done to death (which is one of the reasons why I didn't comment earlier) but I'd rather see this thread locked down than deleted. Better still, why not just leave it be and let it run its course?

I am happy to see it run it's course, I just didnt want the same arguing that usually ends in "by the way I use about 1x 6kg bottle every 2 years!"...but self fill over the years has been done sooooo much. If your not confident to do this or uncomfortable (in fairness its messing with highly flamable pressurised fuel) then the option is pay calor or bp and be happy ! Using gas as often as I do, and chewing through 10L a weekend means that'd be expensive, so to self fill is my choice, been doing it for years, safely and without issue. I spoke to 2 people at the weekend who are seriously thinking of chatting to this chap to maybe come a distributor so I would be very keen. If, like in france, I could buy 20L of gas in a nice lightweight plastic bottle for €17.00 (€10.00 deposit) and then swap when I need at almost every Intermarche I would not even remotely suggest self fill.....but for now I love it !

Posted

We saw these at the NEC and I'm impressed and seriously considering them as a cheaper alternative to gaslow.

Posted

Hi

Not keen on the idea of filling loose gas bottles at filling station.

I will leave bottle filling to the professionals and just swap my bottles as I have always done.

Love to save Money but not that way.

Happy Caravaning

Monty

Posted

ALL - I am not looking for comments here it was merely an opportunity to see a new product, as usual I am sure that the ultimate misery will prevail and we'll end up in a mass-debate (joke) and many more threads about bloody gas....so on that, Mark (or mods) please can you lock this down or delete - whichever you feel is best.

Well I'll say 'thanks' for doing that. It made for interesting reading, and if I were in the market for the existing GasLow refillable system, I'd seriously consider this as an alternative. The gas bottles may be more expensive, but you don't need a shedload of hoses and adapters to use them, and they're what bump up the cost of the GasLow system as I recall.

Yes, the gas thing has been done to death (which is one of the reasons why I didn't comment earlier) but I'd rather see this thread locked down than deleted. Better still, why not just leave it be and let it run its course?

Posted

Looks good just a little pricey at £149 especially as I may not be able to fill up everywhere I want to but good to see someone trying to change things.

The real problem is Autogas - which is I believe owned or part owned by Calor so they have not interest in this. Would be better off if Calor rented these out and allowed you to refill them at Autogas outlets then would be a huge success

Posted

Tim...Correct Prinz Autogas is part of the same Dutch combine that own Calor....

geoff

Posted

i dont think the price is bad . when a steel cylinder is up to £130

Posted

an offer for carole , when are you at work nick , i will have to see if i can help out somehow,

cash offers please , i have quite a few here

Posted

Mrs Pecker (Carole) say's

How have I got dragged into this? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Thanks for the offers guys , i'm really flattered, but by the time i've finished work, i'm no good for anyone.

I'll let you guys fight for the bottles and watch and laugh. ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: The thought of 3 or more guys with bellies fighting enough to make anyone smile (sorry Lenny - tarring you with the same brush as the 2 Nicks) :laugh:

Posted

Mrs Pecker (Carole) say's

How have I got dragged into this? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Thanks for the offers guys , i'm really flattered, but by the time i've finished work, i'm no good for anyone.

I'll let you guys fight for the bottles and watch and laugh. ::D: ::D: ::D: ::D: The thought of 3 or more guys with bellies fighting enough to make anyone smile (sorry Lenny - tarring you with the same brush as the 2 Nicks) :laugh:

Harsh words...... :laugh:

Posted

Well I don't want to be greedy I'll make you an offer on 1 :mwah1

Nick, if thats Carole making the offer on 1, take the offer, i'll give her mine as long as i can watch the "trade" :sneaky:

Posted

The bottle will only re-fill if the latest LPG gun is used on the pump as this opens the valve, in the bottle, through pressure. The old style gun has a pin in the centre of it which depresses the valve once the lever on the gun is pulled back to secure it in place. The problem with this is that over time the pin wares and cannot drepress the valve so filling won't take place. The other problem is you don't know which type of gun the LPG retailer is using until you look at it. Hopefully over time LPG retailers will upgrade thier filling guns to the latest ones and then i will buy a cyclinder, which i think is a great product!

Posted

iam lucky ive got a few coming to play with before the newark show

Posted

iam lucky ive got a few coming to play with before the newark show

Nick - whats the valve look like on the production bottles please ? I haven't seen one up close...

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By Gray · Posted
      Hi and welcome  ignore the fact I have a motorhome I used to have a caravan for 25 years    Find the beading on the awning and measure it that's how to measure and awning length which is how the awnings are classified     
    • Dog to France
      By Surfer · Posted
      As per some of the many many rumours apparently if Brexit happens, it may be reduced to one year.  We can accept the blood test once but to have it every time the dogs are given the rabies shot would be a bit much.  When we lived in Southern Africa the dogs had to have regular rabies injections but never had to have blood tests and rabies is more prevalent in southern Africa than in Europe.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts