Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metered or Un-metered EHU?

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Maybe rather than metering electricity CLs could offer a lower amperage to keep costs reasonable. 6 to 10 amps would be ample for most caravans. Many of us manage on lower supply levels on sites in France or even the odd CL in this country.

Posted

Last year our EHU bill was £54.00, not bad for just short of 35 weeks. The van was used by ourselves, brother-in-law, and one of their daughters, in total about 90 nights. Heating on in van on 1kw, plus some nights halogen heater on in the awning - approx 60p per night and yet the site charge £3.00 per night for casual visitors.

I have just checked out several site that I have bookmarked and they all have a set rate, which is better in one way as a few years ago EHU was charged at a higher rate during peak season, which is when you use less electricity.

So whilst I agree that paying for usage could be better for the visitor it would be difficult to implement.

We are still looking for a seasonal pitch for this year, some include electricity in the price but I have not found one that provides 16 amp yet - the quest continues :laugh:

Posted

Maybe rather than metering electricity CLs could offer a lower amperage to keep costs reasonable. 6 to 10 amps would be ample for most caravans. Many of us manage on lower supply levels on sites in France or even the odd CL in this country.

Jan, it is warmer in France so no need for heating, plus their shower blocks and washing up areas are much better than ours so no need for copious ammounts of hot water in the caravan

Posted

Must be a total moron that fills up their aquarolls to take the water with them!

Don't disagree......It costs about 40p to fill a domestic bath at home...whats that? 3 aquarolls??

geoff

Posted

Our local favourite CL has been metering for the last 3 years.

It is fair in that you write down the number when you get there (rounded up) and take another reading when you leave

(rounded down) the price is there for all to see at 5units per 50p. I think (I know its certainly not exorbitant)

We usually pay £1 in the Summer and £2.50 in the winter for a 3 or 4 day stay.

It is fair it is simple and all the pricing is there for you to see.

Certainly have never paid £3.50 a night like CC or CCC !!!

Dolly xxx

Posted

Don't disagree......It costs about 40p to fill a domestic bath at home...whats that? 3 aquarolls??

geoff

Probably costs more than 40p in fuel to hump around all that weight plus the lifting etc.

Posted

Probably costs more than 40p in fuel to hump around all that weight plus the lifting etc.

And the additional weight of 120kg in the caravan or car ,

Posted

Agree with this and some of the others too.......our village Pub CL had to put his nightly rate up by £3 end of last year.....he had found that leaving electric heaters on all day 'because we had paid for it' was becoming the norm...along with filling all the Aquarolls up before leaving the site.....As I have seen some do.

geoff

Anorak time!

My water company charges 87.77p per 1000 litres so a 40 litre Aquaroll would cost 3.5p - as Surfer posted I hate to think what the extra fuel cost is!

Posted

I'd rather pay up front, I much prefer fixed costs.

Posted

We supply 10a unmetered EHUs and we state in our T&C that additional electric heaters and radiant cookers are not permitted, though at the moment we do not enforce this but with increasing costs we may have to to protect those who are sensible. Also with regard to cost unmetered EHUs are Domestic use at 5%vat to us even as a buisness, if we resell we would have to pay 20% and as EHUs account for over 60% of our use we can get all of our elctricity at 5% so we can afford a small loss on EHUs but that still does not justify abuse, would you leave a 3kW heater on all day in your back garden.

Prepayment meters are expensive but DIN module kWh meters are now around £10 these include a pulsed output which could easily be interfaced to a unit to apply a daily limit. Remember thats its often the Minority that spoils it for everyone. At the moment its not worth the hassel but with all buisnesses looking to control costs I can see it coming. And remember that based on arrival time a 24 hour period would be based on around 11am not midnight as then you would be using the next occupants quota in the morning, this woud mean if you went over you would be without power till 11am.

Posted

i only use elh if its all in on a short term rally as i do not need it.then i get annoyed at the cost for myself alone.i wont go to sites that make you pay for electric.i use ccc a lot as i get full facilities and only pay for me,often cheaper than rallys.

looking through the fixture book the fees seem to have risen,as a solo i think its unfair that i subsedise larger units with lots of people.

i think thats put the cat in amongst the birds.

Posted

i only use elh if its all in on a short term rally as i do not need it.then i get annoyed at the cost for myself alone.i wont go to sites that make you pay for electric.i use ccc a lot as i get full facilities and only pay for me,often cheaper than rallys.

looking through the fixture book the fees seem to have risen,as a solo i think its unfair that i subsedise larger units with lots of people.

i think thats put the cat in amongst the birds.

Larger units with lots of people normally pay extra on CC sites as they are charged per person. However in a caravan whether you have two or five people, consumption will probably be the same. After all why should it differ much?

Posted

editted as pmed in stead

Posted

Ive just been on a hol rally at a site called Pilbach near Aberporth, they do card meters and I had a free £10 one issued due to various problems with the organization of the rally / site and used it for the full 7 days, without stinting on usage and still had nearly £3.00 credit on the meter...

So much for sites charging £3 per night !

Posted

Last year our EHU bill was £54.00, not bad for just short of 35 weeks. The van was used by ourselves, brother-in-law, and one of their daughters, in total about 90 nights. Heating on in van on 1kw, plus some nights halogen heater on in the awning - approx 60p per night and yet the site charge £3.00 per night for casual visitors.

I have just checked out several site that I have bookmarked and they all have a set rate, which is better in one way as a few years ago EHU was charged at a higher rate during peak season, which is when you use less electricity.

So whilst I agree that paying for usage could be better for the visitor it would be difficult to implement.

We are still looking for a seasonal pitch for this year, some include electricity in the price but I have not found one that provides 16 amp yet - the quest continues :laugh:

If you can manage to get a cc seasonal pitch that includes a 16amp supply.

Posted

Just read thro this Thread, quite a lot of information there, although I'm not the orininal poster, Many Thanks People, Much Appriciated :goodpostingsign:

Posted

Just back from Germany where most sites meter your EHU. On one site we were allowed 4kw per day on the ACSI card, after 3 days we had exceeded this by 2kw pd. This was borne out on a non-ACSI site in Luxembourg where we used 6kw pd and were charged 40 cents per kw. This equates to just over £2 per day. Bearing in mind this was late summer, I would imagine we'd use a lot more over here in Spring and Autumn, so the C&CC per night charge of £3.30 probably isn't so bad.

Posted

non metered

Posted

Why not use pay as you go meters. The old ones use coins or tokens, but the new ones use cards which you insert and all the credit from the special card is put into the meter. Most cards come in 1, 5 and 10 pounds or euros. I think you can get a 20 pound card as well.

The meters aren't that expensive just over 50 pounds including 100 cards and delivery, and you could possibly get a discount buying in bulk. The cards are 18 pounds for 100, or 54 for 500 and 84 for 1000.

You can completely make it self-sufficient as there are card dispensers. So if you need a card when the office is shut just go to the card dispenser put in your money and you get a new card. But these are not cheap.

By law you can only charge the going rate per unit of electricity consumed plus a small admin fee or what ever you want to call it. So you could charge for a 5 pound/euro card 7 pounds/euros.

I think this would be a good solution as you basically only pay for what you use. So those that only use the EHU for boiling a kettle etc, would probably pay less this method than a daily rate fixed charge. OK those that use EHU for everything might pay more, but why shouldn't they.

Posted

Why not use pay as you go meters. The old ones use coins or tokens, but the new ones use cards which you insert and all the credit from the special card is put into the meter. Most cards come in 1, 5 and 10 pounds or euros. I think you can get a 20 pound card as well.

The meters aren't that expensive just over 50 pounds including 100 cards and delivery, and you could possibly get a discount buying in bulk. The cards are 18 pounds for 100, or 54 for 500 and 84 for 1000.

You can completely make it self-sufficient as there are card dispensers. So if you need a card when the office is shut just go to the card dispenser put in your money and you get a new card. But these are not cheap.

By law you can only charge the going rate per unit of electricity consumed plus a small admin fee or what ever you want to call it. So you could charge for a 5 pound/euro card 7 pounds/euros.

I think this would be a good solution as you basically only pay for what you use. So those that only use the EHU for boiling a kettle etc, would probably pay less this method than a daily rate fixed charge. OK those that use EHU for everything might pay more, but why shouldn't they.

Are you happy to pay for something you never received, i.e. purchase a card for about £10 but only use £8 but cannot get the £2 refunded? Caravanning is getting expensive enough without being ripped off. I don't mind paying the going rate per unit for electric which should be around about 12p a unit which shoudsl be less than the cost of domestic usage. The site owner should have his latest bill displayed clearly showing the cost per unit.

Posted

Are you happy to pay for something you never received, i.e. purchase a card for about £10 but only use £8 but cannot get the £2 refunded? Caravanning is getting expensive enough without being ripped off. I don't mind paying the going rate per unit for electric which should be around about 12p a unit which shoudsl be less than the cost of domestic usage. The site owner should have his latest bill displayed clearly showing the cost per unit.

Paying £10 for £8 worth of electric over 14 days is £18-£39 cheaper than paying the going rate of £2-£3.50 per night for EHU

Posted

There are a lot of really harsh comments about the "rip off" tariffs imposed by site owners for electricity.

I think it is very easy to hit out at site owners but my take is that much of the criticism is rather unfair.

Taking on the risk of running a site as a business is quite considerable ( and not something the the majority of folks here could do or would be prepared to do), clearly there are 'customers' who adopt the attitude that they pay for EHU and will almost go out their way to use all that they can. If customers adopt that approach then site owners are put in a very difficult position and we end up with the position the "many are penalised for the few".

As far as I am concerned I don't have a problem with sites being run as a business which means they run to make a profit, if they don't have the incentive to make a profit then why on earth would they operate their sites.

I'm sorry to say but I find the attitude of some 'customers' is rather unrealistic, those very same 'customers' are probably very demanding of their own employers when it comes their own pay and conditions at work, so give the site owners a break because they also employ people who need to make a living.

Posted

Realistic is being charged a fair price for consumption of electric. After all by law the site owner is not allowed to make a profit on the sale of electric unless they have a supplier's licence!

Posted

Just as a matter of interest Paul doesn't pay for electricity on his season pitch and neither do I.lol.gif

I agree with Surfer there is legislation regarding how much a site owner can charge.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard