Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metered or Un-metered EHU?

49 posts in this topic

Posted

With the Black Swan public house in Yorkshire considering building a CL on their site if you were them which EHU system would you install, a metered or un-metered?

Posted

I think I would install metered electric, although they have to balance the expense of doing so against simply including it in the site fee. In the winter I think we use far more electricity than we imagine and I doubt that £2 a night would cover the cost?

David

Posted

David, On another forum this subject was being debated along with the various site fees, when I announced that we were paying £8 per night one member announced that if we used the sites maximum 16amp supply to its maximum then the site owner would be paying for us to stay on his site :wow:

Mick

Posted

Metered Pay for what you use has got to be the way to go

Sites are beginning to charge extra for the bigger caravans because of the amount they use Price for awning is also rising as sites have realised there are heaters being used in them as well all adding to the over electricty bill

Posted

The "problem" with metered electric is how to actually pay for it - does the owner charge a big electric deposit on arrival and refund unused monies - or - collect the money right at the end - or - spend even more on installing swipe card systems?

Overall, the CL owner has more cost by installing meters than not which means that customers will pay more on average - the only benefit of meters is to make payment fairer between high/low usage customers - so the low usage customers will barely benefit but the high usage customers will pay more.

Posted

The "problem" with metered electric is how to actually pay for it - does the owner charge a big electric deposit on arrival and refund unused monies - or - collect the money right at the end - or - spend even more on installing swipe card systems?

Overall, the CL owner has more cost by installing meters than not which means that customers will pay more on average - the only benefit of meters is to make payment fairer between high/low usage customers - so the low usage customers will barely benefit but the high usage customers will pay more.

Metered supplies can only be at an approved rate under the complex resale of electricity regulations. For a CL this may not cover the overheads and installation costs within a reasonable period.

A 5 amp supply in use for 24 hours would consume 30Kw. At a standard rate of say 11p / Kw the cost would be £3. Including £3 per night for EHU will ensure no loss.

Posted

Metered supplies can only be at an approved rate under the complex resale of electricity regulations. For a CL this may not cover the overheads and installation costs within a reasonable period.

A 5 amp supply in use for 24 hours would consume 30Kw. At a standard rate of say 11p / Kw the cost would be £3. Including £3 per night for EHU will ensure no loss.

Unless the rules have changed then the "pass through" system states that you are only allowed to resell the electricity at the same price you paid for it PLUS 1 (one) pence per day for reading the meter. All other infrastructure charges therefore have to form part of the site fees .

Aren't most sites atleast 10-16 amp EHUs now ?

Posted

IMO:-

The first question is whether to go with EHU at all; if the sites other attributes indicate there will be a good out of summer utilisation, then it probably can work though it is difficult with 5 units. But if its not an attractive “off season” location with only poorly drained grass pitches then it will never repay the investment. Particularly if it’s to attract out of season Motorhomes* the standings and access must be really firm as otherwise it will not be physically viable and churned up mud “welcomes” no one.

Knowing the abuse of inclusive electricity I would definitely recommend a metered supply with a £10 per night prepayment deposit and of course a refund for unused power.

The infrastructure charges both initial and annual I would seek to recover in the basic site fees; now I understand the only legal route.

* I suggest this is the increasing market sector and the one better able to snatch off-season opportunities; on a viable site.

Posted

The site we are currently on here in Spain charges €0.35 per kw We go and pay our site fee's on the 1st of each month and take the meter readings ourselves........... we are using gas for the fridge/freezer,cooking and water heating and hope to keep our electric costs under €2.00 per day.

Oh the site check your meter BOTH at the start and end of your stay.

Posted

Aren't most sites atleast 10-16 amp EHUs now ?

Even extravagant caravanners won't be using 16 amps for 24 hours/day!

Cost of electricity relates to the average, not the maximum.

Posted

Even extravagant caravanners won't be using 16 amps for 24 hours/day!

Cost of electricity relates to the average, not the maximum.

Sorry Roger I agree on the usage :) I was more meaning that 10-16 amps means more initial expense due to sizing of cables etc for more "available" loading. My bad for not explaining better although if you think of an Aldi heating system set to 2kw cutting on & off & maybe a 2kw fan heater in an awning running almost flat out if you are using it for sleeping as well then you are certainly getting your moneies worth from the site ?

Something that nobody thinks about is that alot of sites that charge through a meter are breaking the pass through rule anyway as the site is often on an "off peak" meter were they get lower costs at night but they do not pass that on to us the customer do they ?

Posted

If you take your electric bill for a year and average it out per day i bet it doesn't come to the £2 per day which is the minimum charged on most sites for hook up. Mine averages out to about £1.65 per day. I have stayed on a couple of sites with no hook up charge, just metered £1 prepay elec cards on the hook up posts, we only used about £15 worth for a 2 week stay.

Posted

Althoughy we don't use a lot of electric, any site that charges for electric seperately we would avoid like the plague. If a site is metered and you pay for consumption at end of stay, that means you now have to find the owner and give a reading so he can charge you appropriately, however they would need to physically check the meter themself. A lot of hassle!

Next you have the pre-payment which comes in various forms with the norm being purchasing a card. You estimate £5 for the weekend and buy the appropriate pre-pay card, but only use £4.20 or less so who benefits from the remaining credit?

To crown it all, the owner cannot make a profit from re-selling electric to you and you are within your rights to request to see a copy of their last bill which should show the cost per unit. In essence they are not allowed to charge you for their costs for the production of the pre-payment card, the cost of installtion of the meter, the cost of the daily standing charge etc. BTW I think that pre-payment meters are about £120-£150 each and then ther eis the cost of getting them fitted.

The owner is better off having two rates, one for the summer and one for the winter with the winter one being higher than the summer rate. In winter the average caravan consumes approximately 20 units per day or about £3.00 per day. In summer this is about 8 units per day or just over £1.10 per day.

I would rather pay an all inclusive price for a pitch than hassle with metered pitches.

Posted

I agree the sites should have two rates as my elecrric consumpion in the high season is very mininmal mainly just the HW, kettle ,TV and fridge and if the weather is nice its cold food so no microwave use. In the low season most caravanners have the fire on 500 - 1000w for 24 hrs but the price is the same.

Dave

Posted

The expence for CL owners these days is when some caravanners insist on putting on a fan heater in an awning and leaving it on for hours or even over night for a dog. It must use loads of units as its like heating a field, so much heat escapes through the gaps of an awning. We never do this as we think it is unfair, if it is too cold to sit in the awning sit in the van and certainly put the dog in the van overnight. We use to caravan with 2 Alsations in a 12 ft van years ago and they always slept on the floor inside. You can under stand EHU fees going up and owners putting in meters. It is not really fair for the average careful caravanner to pay more. Most campsites abroad that have meters include a decent amount of units in the pitch price and then charge extra for the additional you use, which seems a fairer deal all round for everyone..

Posted

Hi all, as a full timer, I would not be keen on staying on a site with metered pitches, I want to pay a daily rate and not have to worry about how much electric Im using. I havent stayed on a metered site, but what are thier daily rates like, compaired to a non metered site?

There is a big difference between camp sites making a profit and being greedy! Those sites are easy to spot as some even charge for visitors! Best avoided in our case

I personally think its down to the owners to price their pitches in such a way that makes it attactive to campers, as soon as you start with all the add ons its a big turn off for many!

A quick flick through either of the club books and you can spot the sites that have more rules/charges than the taliban! Give me a small farm site anyday!

If its a pub thats considering putting in meters I would stongly advise against it. After all Im going to be lining his pockets by buying food and drink in his establishment, dont take the mick and do me on the electric as well!

Jools & "M" @ http://ourlifeinacaravan.blogspot.com

Posted

If you take your electric bill for a year and average it out per day i bet it doesn't come to the £2 per day which is the minimum charged on most sites for hook up. Mine averages out to about £1.65 per day. I have stayed on a couple of sites with no hook up charge, just metered £1 prepay elec cards on the hook up posts, we only used about £15 worth for a 2 week stay.

At those costs you are obviously not using electricity to heat your house; using the criteria you mentioned our daily consumption averages out at £5 p.d. This is a 2 bed bungalow with storage heaters ( and, yes, we have double glazing, cavity wall insulation and double thickness roof insulation!). So if using electricity for heating it is not difficult to exceed £2 per day.

Posted

The expence for CL owners these days is when some caravanners insist on putting on a fan heater in an awning and leaving it on for hours or even over night for a dog. It must use loads of units as its like heating a field, so much heat escapes through the gaps of an awning. We never do this as we think it is unfair, if it is too cold to sit in the awning sit in the van and certainly put the dog in the van overnight. We use to caravan with 2 Alsations in a 12 ft van years ago and they always slept on the floor inside. You can under stand EHU fees going up and owners putting in meters. It is not really fair for the average careful caravanner to pay more. Most campsites abroad that have meters include a decent amount of units in the pitch price and then charge extra for the additional you use, which seems a fairer deal all round for everyone..

A CL owner could always state as part of their T & Cs that no electric heaters are to be used in an awning otherwise the offender will be asked to leave the site. It is not fair on them and not fair on other campers as the owners would need to increase their charges.

Posted

At those costs you are obviously not using electricity to heat your house; using the criteria you mentioned our daily consumption averages out at £5 p.d. This is a 2 bed bungalow with storage heaters ( and, yes, we have double glazing, cavity wall insulation and double thickness roof insulation!). So if using electricity for heating it is not difficult to exceed £2 per day.

We have the same type of bungalow. Obviously the other figures were based on the fact that they probably have gas heating so £1.65 is about right. The same would apply to a caravna if heating was done by gas. In a caravan a 13kg gas bottle will last about 2 maybe 2 1/2 weeks if heating was on gas. When we full timed we had a 45kg bottle for the gas fire in the awning and woudl eb lucky if that lasted a month.

Posted

I have often used a heater in my awning and resent others telling me how I should caravan!

Posted

We have the same type of bungalow. Obviously the other figures were based on the fact that they probably have gas heating so £1.65 is about right. The same would apply to a caravna if heating was done by gas. In a caravan a 13kg gas bottle will last about 2 maybe 2 1/2 weeks if heating was on gas. When we full timed we had a 45kg bottle for the gas fire in the awning and woudl eb lucky if that lasted a month.

I doubt many use gas for heating if they're on a hook-up - if the electric heating isn't built-in they'll just use a fan heater.

Posted

Metered Pay for what you use has got to be the way to go

Sites are beginning to charge extra for the bigger caravans because of the amount they use Price for awning is also rising as sites have realised there are heaters being used in them as well all adding to the over electricty bill

Agree with this and some of the others too.......our village Pub CL had to put his nightly rate up by £3 end of last year.....he had found that leaving electric heaters on all day 'because we had paid for it' was becoming the norm...along with filling all the Aquarolls up before leaving the site.....As I have seen some do.

geoff

Posted

along with filling all the Aquarolls up before leaving the site.....As I have seen some do.

Must be a total moron that fills up their aquarolls to take the water with them!

Posted

I have often used a heater in my awning and resent others telling me how I should caravan!

Oh well that is the price we have to pay!

Posted

Must be a total moron that fills up their aquarolls to take the water with them!

I`m confused by this as well :stars:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard