Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lead time for new car ...

37 posts in this topic

Posted

As I've mentioned elsewhere I have to return my company car at the end of this month and move into a new/different scheme.

Most likely choice to replace my Volvo V70 is a VW Golf Estate, I've started the ball rolling to get quotes and arrange a loan car for a weekend.

Today have been in touch with the nominated supplying dealer to arrange loan car, when I mentioned the spec of car I wanted there was a bit of silence before I was told that the lead time for delivery of the new car would be 6 months and chances of a loan car of that spec were 0 ... has anyone ever had to wait this long for a new car order?

:wall2: :wall2: :wall2:

Posted

the longest I've waited for a built to order car was 10 weeks (Audi)

I was told 11 weeks for the XC60 but it arrived at the dealers 2 weeks early, but new XC60 orders are now waiting around 5-6 months I believe.

Posted

VW have installed a new ordering system that has been frought with problems. I considered ordering a new Touareg (£40k) and was constantly given the runaround regarding delivery. I decided to leave it and wait until there was plenty of well specced dealer stock in the country so I could have a definitive delivery date. Associates have just started taking delivery of their new VW cars which were ordered in June.

Ordering and taking delivery of lots of VW's has been a farce for the last 6 months.

Posted

Hyundai are no better - the dealers have ball-park figures but have no way of accessing production or delivery schedules so are working blindfold until the car turns up on a transporter. I might get my Santa Fe next week (10 weeks from order) but the dealer won't commit until it physically arrives.

By contrast, back in the '90s, Opel/Vauxhall had systems which did all the production planning and scheduled assembly and shipping so that a delivery date could be quoted within 24 hours of placing a factory order for a vehicle with unusual options.

Extended delivery times do occur from time to time, that's inevitable, but the lack of accurate information is a scandal.

Posted

Many car companies now build to order so yes long waits can be the norm - we get our new Discovery 4 next week after a three months wait!

We liked the look of the new Touareg but that was quoted as six months delivery.

Posted

I waited 22 weeks for my 59 plate Prius

Posted

Dealers are getting a bit bloody cheeky too.

Speaking to one of my clients today, he had had a test drive (with the salesman along side him) and then told the salesman he would think about the car over Christmas.

In the event he decided not to go with that car. He rang the salesman and broke the news. The salesman's response? "Next time you are passing you might like to drop a few quid in for the lad who cleans the cars after the test drives" :fear:

How glad is he that he went somewhere else to spend £50K?

Cheers

Keith

Posted

I had a customer today who said that he was told by his local Audi dealer that the A6 he wanted would take 9 months to arrive.

He thought (as did I) that this was just a load of drivel from the salesman to get him in to a car in stock with Audi. Perhaps the dealership has an incentive to do that.

Posted

Hi all, thanks for some interesting replies already.

It seems that the 6 months I've been quoted isn't as outrageous as I first thought, not sure that makes me feel any better though!

The practical problem I have to confront is that my Volvo must be returned at the end of this month and I know that whatever car I am supplied with until the new one arrives it wont have a towbar and wont pull my caravan. Given that this matter has arisen because of cost cutting/outsourcing program by my employer any comment I make about the capability of my temporary car is likely to be met with an invitation to seek alternative employment!

On reflection there's something I fell I should here ... I appreciate that there are many folks who have much bigger problems to deal with than the delivery time of a new car, if anyone reading this is going through hard times (I've been there myself) then I feel for you and hope things improve soon enough; me having a rant about a new car might seem rather trivial ...

Posted

Hi all, thanks for some interesting replies already.

It seems that the 6 months I've been quoted isn't as outrageous as I first thought, not sure that makes me feel any better though!

The practical problem I have to confront is that my Volvo must be returned at the end of this month and I know that whatever car I am supplied with until the new one arrives it wont have a towbar and wont pull my caravan. Given that this matter has arisen because of cost cutting/outsourcing program by my employer any comment I make about the capability of my temporary car is likely to be met with an invitation to seek alternative employment!

On reflection there's something I fell I should here ... I appreciate that there are many folks who have much bigger problems to deal with than the delivery time of a new car, if anyone reading this is going through hard times (I've been there myself) then I feel for you and hope things improve soon enough; me having a rant about a new car might seem rather trivial ...

I have to say when I read stories like this on here & other forums I do sit and shake my head, as I am just starting to think about changing my car (owner driver) & with a MAX budget of 10K ........ the text colour says it all :green: :laugh:

as I commute 15K miles a year running cost are important but it also has to be reliable & up to pulling the van so its always a difficult quest on my budget :wall2: but being used at least lead times are never an issue :laugh:

Posted

I've been in the same boat. I didn't get my employer to agree to this car until after the lease company had recalled the old one. I think delivery was about 12 weeks from date of order, which wasn't so bad.

I did get a half decent Mondeo for the duration, but it didn't have a towbar. Not normally a problem for us, as we have the 'van on a permanent pitch, but we got the opportunity to swap to a better pitch part way through that period, and I had to get someone to move the 'van for me. Still, it only cost me a couple of pints.

If it's leased, then check with the lease company and see if they'll let you keep the Volvo in the meantime. They normally just chop them in at auction once they get them back, so they'd be silly to turn their noses up at a continued income. They did it with my last car but one while I was waiting for the next one, and they did it with my last car, even though it was several months overdue for return and past its agreed mileage limit. They only recalled it when it needed an expensive repair.

Posted

A number of guys in work ordered the new Audi A3 "Black" - some waited 6 months - so Audi seem to have long deliveries!

Posted

As I`ve mentioned before, I wanted a Skoda Superb estate and was quoted 12 to 18 weeks delivery, but I need a car for work so that was a non-starter.

looking around, I found a pre-reg BMW 520D Touring M-Sport with 9 miles on the clock at a BMW dealer (with enough extras on to take the list price to over 36K) for the same price as the Skoda, I could have it in 48 hours, and now have a better car that someone else has taken the first years depreciation hit on, and will always be worth more than the skoda - and the emissions are better as well (less company car tax).

If you are prepared to be a bit flexible, there are deals to be done. If I`d have had to hire a car for 18 weeks it would have added thousands to the total cost.

Posted

Hi

Had to wait nearly 4 months for my Ford S max. As new model change had to be made seems car was made for me to order.

Gone are the days when cars where stock piled.

Happy Caravaning

Monty

Posted

There are so many options available on new cars, its a real punt for dealers to stock a particular model with specific options that will tick the boxes of many potential buyers. If however you are prepared to be flexible on the specification, there are great deals to be had. I got a stock car with £13,000 (hard haggling) off the list price because it had been sitting with the dealer for a couple of months and they needed it shifting. I can now trade the car 2 years later for almost what I paid new.

Posted

If I`d have had to hire a car for 18 weeks it would have added thousands to the total cost.

Was your own car written off?

Posted

There are so many options available on new cars, its a real punt for dealers to stock a particular model with specific options that will tick the boxes of many potential buyers. If however you are prepared to be flexible on the specification, there are great deals to be had. I got a stock car with £13,000 (hard haggling) off the list price because it had been sitting with the dealer for a couple of months and they needed it shifting. I can now trade the car 2 years later for almost what I paid new.

Manufacturers vary tremendously on this - the premium brands tend to use low (relatively) levels of specification despite the high price and then add massively for options as well as lengthening lead times - ordinary brands tend to have better specifications particularly with their top of the range models.

"Being flexible with specification" - that's like saying just go to a big used car dealer you're bound to find something! When most people are spending large amounts of money they want what they want/need, not what someone has got sitting around unsold, ie unwanted by anyone else.

Posted

Waited 6 months to the day for my VW Tiguan. I ordered exactly what I wanted and it was made for me. Well worth waiting for!

Posted

Was your own car written off?

No, quit my job, well handed in my notice ( three months) but was allowed to leave on the spot and start my new job straight away, so need wheels quickly.

Posted

Roger,

I completely agree with your comment regarding taking something no one wants. However in my case the list price of the car with the exact specification I wanted was over £40K. The dealer had purchased a number of these cars with differing specifications so there was various to choose from for immediate delivery. My only specification forfiet was a particular type of alloy vwheel. Conversely there were other bits added (eg. wireless dvd in the roof & premium phone kit) which have proved handy.

As I said, taking a brand new car with immediate delivery with a £13k price reduction was an absolute no brainer. I ordered the wheels I wanted when I took delivery, (£1800.00) so total saving for my exact spec car from dealer stock, which no one wanted was £11,200.

I've also now got the original spare set of wheels with winter tyres on them

Posted

My C class estate was on 6 months lead time, the only additional extra over "standard" spec was cruise control.

Posted

My C class estate was on 6 months lead time, the only additional extra over "standard" spec was cruise control.

I'd want standard cruise control on a car half the price!

Posted

Been looking at Skoda Octavia Estate today, a Golf with different clothes, but delivery will be the same problem as the Golf, middle of the year, shouldn't be surprised really. The only extra I want on either car is the DSG gearbox, that seems to be the stumbling block.

Unfortunately there is no room for maneuver on the return of the Volvo, which is down to a decision by my employer not the lease company.

Posted

Been looking at Skoda Octavia Estate today, a Golf with different clothes, but delivery will be the same problem as the Golf, middle of the year, shouldn't be surprised really. The only extra I want on either car is the DSG gearbox, that seems to be the stumbling block.

Unfortunately there is no room for maneuver on the return of the Volvo, which is down to a decision by my employer not the lease company.

DSG gearbox is well worth waiting for. I had it complete with flappy paddles on my Mk5 R32 and its great.

Posted

When we ordered our Vauxhall Insignia we were given a delivery date, which was 4 weeks on. The dealer had access to Vauxhall's production system and could tell us when our car left the line, and then he could track it as it was transported from the factory in Germany, onto the boat and then when it arrived in Immingham. He could even track it once it was on the car transporter.

In some respects I suppose its all a bit gimmicky, but when you've just bought your first brand new car, it's impressive and re-assuring.

Alec

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard