Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Yr Smoke Detectors Toast Proof

Question

Posted

These have a 10 yr Lithium battery so no need to change the battery and they are toast proof so thought they might be good for the caravan/motorhome but what do the experts think? Good for a caravan or not?

B&Q

11 answers to this question

Posted

The last four or five caravans we have owned have each had an alarm with a "button" in the centre. You press the "button" before you make toast or possibly when you open the oven door, and the alarm does not sound. Has no-one tried this?

I should add that the alarm will sound even when the "button" has been pressed if smoke gets above a certain level.

Posted

We've got one of the 10 year Fire Angel alarms in our hall, though it's not the toast-proof one. The Fire Brigade came around and fitted it for free after assessing that it would be a worthwhile addition to the one in the living room and the two that we already have upstairs. They said that they particularly like these sealed for life units, as they remove the temptation to borrow the battery for something else and then never get around to replacing it.

I do wonder whether they'll go the distance time-wise though. I once bought a couple of lithium PP3 batteries from Maplin, supposedly good for 10 years in smoke alarm applications. The alarms were chirping their low battery warnings inside 24 months.

Posted

Sounds better than the ones fitted in our house, they are always going off, its the type thats wired to the consuner unit. The other week I was grilling pork chops and it went off, our two dogs did not like it at all, now if I am grilling anything Poppy, the younger of the two goes outside and will not come in until I have finished.

Maybe these would be better than the ones we have?

Posted

Just how do they define "toast-proof"?

I like my toast very well done, crispy in fact. We get round the alarm at the moment by using the omnivent when toasting, so I wonder how this new detector can tell the difference between wood charring and charred food.

Posted

Roger these are optical which means they are better at detecting slow burning fire eg something smouldering away in the background rather than ionisation which is better at detecting rapidly burning fires hence my question as I am not sure what would be better in a caravan or motorhome

In a house you can of course have both optical and ionisation plus heat etc etc depending how far you want to go but in a caravan or motorhome you are probably only ever going to have one so from an advice point of view I think having a detector that lasts 10yrs without a battery change is good but would a detector that picks up slow smoulding flame be better than one that picks up rapid flame.

Hope thats clear

Posted

I think I might just give on a try - the factory fit smoke alarm in the Charisma seems to be on a hair trigger where toast is concerned - even with all the windows open and the Omnivent at full "take off" speed!

Cheers

Keith

Posted

hi,i have 1 of these and they do work well.i did forget my toast and it did go off but toast was black.also boiling potatoes with door closed set it off but mine is above the door.this is much more usefull than the old type.i got mine from ebay about 12.00 cant remember the exact price.well worth having.

Posted

Well just back from 4 nights away in Rutland. Fitted the "Toast Proof" smoke detector before we went and am delighted to report we have had 4 Alarm free breakfasts!

No need to press the button - just make the toast.

The cynic in me is now wondering what degree of fire is needed before the new alarm goes off - I'dont mind making toast as a test, I do draw the line at torching the van though! :jump:

Cheers

Keith

Posted

Posted

I wouldn't believe the hype about the lithium batteries. 10years right and everyone on here will win the lottery on Friday :cheering:.

Having used lithium batteries in bulk, By bulk I mean a good 100 or so C size cells every 6 weeks. They are very susceptible to cold temperatures, and I have found cells at room temp would read 3Volts and ones that have just come in from a nice cold 5C read about 1.2V. Took them about 2 hours before the read 2.9V, but would you risk putting that battery back during servicing or fit a new one. They may have a 10 year shelf life if kept at room temp, but certainly not a working life of that amount. and what are normal conditions any way.

Posted

Hi All

We have one of these fitted in our Adria. It does go off but it has a button in the middle which when depressed silences the alarm while you are cooking.

Val

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard