Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you tow with?

78 posts in this topic

Posted

hello, we use a sedona 2.9crdi. bit of an plodder, put the caravan on the back, avondale rialto, dont make a lot of difference. still an old plodder. i do use the lock button on the gear shift when i see a hill coming, it just goes down a gear and holds it. if you let the gearbox do its own thing, it kicks down to too lower gear. ray.

Posted

So leading on from my post about finding a new car, I was just curious to know what vehicles you all use to tow with and what you like/dislike about it.

We tow our Bailey Ranger 460/2 with a BMW 318i - it tows fine on the flat roads, struggles on hills and we have to watch the weight (loading the van) and has done us proud until now, but think its time for it to retire from towing.

we pull a swift 5 berth with our BMW.A 523i touring and is 11 years old.it tows well with a good fuel consumption.

Posted

Our Dethleffs has a MPTL of 1300kg. We have a choice - V70 2.5TD, though as 'she' is now 13 years old and has 230,000+ on the clock, we have retired her as a tow car for all intents and purposes and OH uses her to get to work in each day. Still does 46mpg combined, and around 29mpg towing.

The 52 X-Trail is the older 106BHP version, and although it tows well, it's not too keen on reversing, especially on wet grass.

I prefer the ride of the Volvo - much more comfortable over a long journey - and we may well replace the X-Trail with another Volvo when the time comes. We have rarely used 4WD so it's not really worth the extra expense.

Mary

Posted

To repeat a post I put in another thread:

Hilly areas? We like hill walking and spend a lot of time in the Peak District, the Lakes and Northern Scotland. A couple of weeks ago we completed a five week trip around Scotland. Up the right hand side to John O'Groats, across the top to Durness and down the left hand side, via the isle of Skye. At one point we were stopped at roadworks on a 13% hill (going up)and did a perfect hill start. A total of 2843 miles of which 1468 were towing, and returned an avarage fuel consumption of 37mpg. All that in a vehicle that is comfortable, economical and a pleasure to drive. :yes:

Posted

Used to tow my Bessacarr 550 twin axle with everything fitted (air con, Mover, etc) with a Mercedes S500. Probably the best tow car in the world, could accelerate away from the lights so quickly the slats for the front double would slide out and land on the floor. Soon put a stop to that! For a 5 Litre V8 and what is not the lightest of cars (would pull 2200 Kg) I thought it was very economical at 19 - 21 to the gallon towing. Solo the car averaged 28 with a personal best of 36 mpg.

Now tow with L/R 300 tdi Disco manual and still get around the same mpg. The only reason for the 300 tdi and not the newer ones is I am going to live abroad and wanted something an average mechanic could fix with hammer and nails. Too many electronics on modern cars for my liking. (Yes I am an old f**t)

Posted

Isuzu rodeo 3 litre twin cab pick up (2010).wonderful tow car,tows our Burstner without any problems.full leather,cruise control,built in sat nav,dvd with reversing camera.awesome car would reccomend one to anyone.And about 25 to the gallon.... :thumbsup:

Posted

09 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi.

30mpg solo, 27 towing 1900kg Hobby twin axle. Point it at the hill and press go, wafts past the trucks on motorway inclines (240bhp, 406lb/ft torque). Quick off the mark as well, 0-60 8 seconds if that lights your candle.

Towing limit of 3500kg

Posted

Hi All

Freelander 2 SE 2008. pulling abbey vouge 650 (1800kg)

Pulls a dream.

Posted

We have a 2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 2.7 TD - towing a Bailey Senator California. The Landie is Auto box 6 speed and is so smooth you dont notice the gear changes - even when towing.

Set the cruise control and forget about it. Get about 25mpg towing. Did a 1000 miler Ipswich to South of Barcelona with a short overnighter last autumn and the negine needle didnt move - and the drive was so easy it wasnt tiring at all. highly recommended.

Posted

We drive a 2004 Audi A4 Cabriolet (we've had it from new) towing a 2005 Bailey Senator Arizona (also owned from new) at a ratio of 84.9%.

25mpg at an average 50mph over 200 miles in France/Italy.

Turns heads on Autoroutes... but especially on D roads when we drop the roof! :thumbsup:

G

Posted

We tow with a 4.4 litre V8 Range Rover Vogue, tons of power and absolute comfort.

Just completed 1800 miles going to France and returned 14 MPG towing 2200kg van, can drop to 12 in hilly or windy conditions but we do not slow down for wind or hills.

Solo can get nearly 20 MPG.

Ian

Posted

We tow with a 4.4 litre V8 Range Rover Vogue, tons of power and absolute comfort.

Just completed 1800 miles going to France and returned 14 MPG towing 2200kg van, can drop to 12 in hilly or windy conditions but we do not slow down for wind or hills.

Solo can get nearly 20 MPG.

Ian

Would love one, but nearly 20 mpg solo :fear:

Mick

Posted

Mick,

Don't buy an old Leyland Tiger bus then for a conversion - 8 mpg :laugh:

Posted

Tow with a BMW 530d touring. Best thing I have ever towed with and my caravan is huge. I also have a Nissan Navara as a company vehicle but this does not tow well at all. It's far to light at the rear and being auto it's just not got enough grunt for long distance caravan towing in my opinion. It's great for my work trailer and image though!!

Posted

We tow with a volvo xc90, that being said the caravan is on a seasonal pitch.

As for economy it soesn't know the meaning of the word - town work is about 20mpg, 35mpg on a run and with the van on the back 25mpg, that was from storage site in Blackburn to Cumbtian coast via M6.

Handles the van very well, almost forget it is on the back - the comfort is fantastic and after a long journey you don't get out exhausted.

I tow Challenger weight 1500kgs all up. My XC90 returns 35mpg towing. Solo 38to41mpg. Town use 24mpg.

Not bad cosidering the weight and size of the XC90. I never have had any qualms about any conditions

towing and have never felt that 'The tail was wagging the dog' Although I do not do racing starts neither

do I drive for economy. I usually drive at the speed that coditions allow. Incidentally I have the D5

Geartronic model and I usually tow solely in the automatic mode.

Posted

So I must have the smallest car here then. Golf Mk iV 1.4TSI(122BHP) 7 speed DSG gearbox matched to an ABI Award Dawnstar.

Getting around 26-28 MPG towing and 46-52 solo.

Petrol performance at diesel economy

Great car to tow with (had plenty of others, (rover 600 SDTI, 2.5 V6 Omega, 3.2V6 Frontera, Freelander 2L TDi all autos)

Posted

Over the years I've had quite a few tow cars. The worst : 2001 P38 2.5DHSE Range Rover--absolutely gutless-- and a 1997 Renault 25 2.2lt petrol. The best : From the very beginning of my cravaning days, a 1981/2 3500SE RoverSD1 V8, beautiful, what a machine had this car 6 years. A good substitute and the family favourite which we had for 10 years and 160,000 miles was a 1989 Rover 827 Vitesse 2.7ltr V6, both petrol engines but with lots of power and well loved by all the family. The best towcar by far up to now was my 1997 Mercedes C250 Turbo Diesel. Not the favourite car but what a workhorse, we had it four years before strange noises were heard from under the bonnet so it had to go, only problem with a merc is that it's costalotta to fix.

My newest aquisition just recently is a Mercedes E270CDI estate which has yet to prove itself but will be doing so probably in September. If it's anything like it's elder brother the C250 then it will be good since it has more power and torque. 170BHP & 295lbs/ft of torque I think, should be more than enough.

Roger-D

Posted

Touareg 3.0 V6 Tdi

Posted

Rexton SX270Xdi.............excellent tug

geoff

Posted

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD (205 PS)

Posted

Best tow car was without any doubt my 3.0L Surf. It never faltered even when towing a twin axle through the Welsh hills. Now have a Mondeo and although it is great for towing, I do not trust the auto box.

Posted

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD (205 PS)

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD (205PS) Auto

Just about to get its first tryout in the Yorkie Dales.

Posted

Tow with a BMW 530d touring. Best thing I have ever towed with and my caravan is huge. I also have a Nissan Navara as a company vehicle but this does not tow well at all. It's far to light at the rear and being auto it's just not got enough grunt for long distance caravan towing in my opinion. It's great for my work trailer and image though!!

How is it on fuel

I currently tow with an E Class Merc but Im thinking of a change. The E tows great just fancy a change thats all

Posted

Mazda 3 sport 2.0L diesel

Posted

V70 LPG :cheering:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard