Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Converting a "full" awning to a "combi/porch"

Question

Posted

In my never ending quest to find the "right" awning for longer trips away I'm thinking of buying one around 850cms and using it as a combi awning. Is it just a case of measuring up & cutting the beading to allow one end to miss the caravan awning rail and buying a conversion pole of some sort? Or is there more to it? Does the beading need strengthening in some way after cutting to prevent it ripping???

We currently have a 2009 Outdoor Revolution Compacatlite 400 and it isn't quite big enough for longer trips away (it isn't as wide as a full awning) and I'm also getting fed up with the amount of condensation that forms on the inside of the roof. So I'm thinking of buying a second hand good quality full awning of around 850cms and using it as combi on our 990cm caravan.

16 answers to this question

Posted

You got it right first time. Start at the end of the van that you want the awning on, measure round the A but stop where you want the awning to finish and then add on the height of the caravan at that point, this will give you the size of awning you need. Once you have the awning measure from the bottom of the mudskirt up along the beading the height of the caravan, make a nick in the beading to allow that section to fall to the ground, buy a conversion kit and start using the awning. I used one like that for years without a problem.

Posted

If you go to the Isabella web site they have really good directions on how to do this.

Posted

Thanks, 'll have a look at that.

Posted

That's very interesting! We still have a 15ft awning in the garage left over from a caravan that was stolen years ago, perhaps we'll be able to do something with it after all.

Posted

You got it right first time. Start at the end of the van that you want the awning on, measure round the A but stop where you want the awning to finish and then add on the height of the caravan at that point, this will give you the size of awning you need. Once you have the awning measure from the bottom of the mudskirt up along the beading the height of the caravan, make a nick in the beading to allow that section to fall to the ground, buy a conversion kit and start using the awning. I used one like that for years without a problem.

Do not nick the beading as this will tear when pulled.

The piping inside the beading needs to be crimped at the correct place, without cutting the beading, and then by bending the beading backwards and forwards at this point, the piping inside will be broken, but leaving the beading intact.

Regards,

Jim.

Posted

The piping inside the beading needs to be crimped at the correct place, without cutting the beading, and then by bending the beading backwards and forwards at this point, the piping inside will be broken, but leaving the beading intact.

Regards,

Jim.

Neat, I like that!

Posted

Regards,

Jim.

As you say Jim you can crimp the piping, but nicking the beading does not lead to it tearing. I used an Isabella combi porch for about 10 years in all weathers with the beading cut in two places ( one that was right for my van the second for the awnings first owner ) and the cuts never went further. Also if you look at the Isabella instructions for setting up a Combi from an awning it says quite clearly that you should cut the beading. This is what they say

•Once positioning of the porch has been confirmed, measure from the ground to the channel of the caravan at the point where the awning roof leaves the caravan channel.

•Nick the awning beading at this measurement* on whichever side of the awning will leave the channel. DO NOT CUT THE WHOLE OF THE BEADING, only the thick part that goes inside the caravan channel needs to be cut.

•Alternatively, you can break the piping inside the beading using a pair of pliers

Posted

As you say Jim you can crimp the piping, but nicking the beading does not lead to it tearing. I used an Isabella combi porch for about 10 years in all weathers with the beading cut in two places ( one that was right for my van the second for the awnings first owner ) and the cuts never went further. Also if you look at the Isabella instructions for setting up a Combi from an awning it says quite clearly that you should cut the beading. This is what they say

•Once positioning of the porch has been confirmed, measure from the ground to the channel of the caravan at the point where the awning roof leaves the caravan channel.

•Nick the awning beading at this measurement* on whichever side of the awning will leave the channel. DO NOT CUT THE WHOLE OF THE BEADING, only the thick part that goes inside the caravan channel needs to be cut.

•Alternatively, you can break the piping inside the beading using a pair of pliers

Bill,

I think if there is a stitched seam underneath the beading, to prevent a tear run developing, cutting through would be OK, but I would still prefer to follow the last bullet point in Isabella's instructions.

Regards,

Jim.

Posted

I'm thinking of converting a full size awning also but was wondering whether you get any probelsm with a leak down the caravan wall where the gap in the beading is and the awning falls down to the floor. Have any of you who have used a combi ever suffered from this? Even with a very tidy break it looks there would be a small gap water could run down. Looking at a Bradcot Portico XL at the dealer last week this has a flap covering the break in the awning on both sides presumably to stop this?

Thanks for any feedback!

Andrew.

Posted

I have an Isablla Ambassador now as my porch awning - me new big small awning as we call it!

I cut the awning beading without problem and it's not looked like it will fray or tear. I didn't measure where to cut but just made a guess as fed the whole awning through first to see how she would sit at the back end of the van (the part where she would be properly attached that is). I then estimated where to cut towards the front of the awning so it would sit evenly and that it would not fall along the windows.

Very pleased with it so far. Don't have a 'combi' pole - these are around £95 from a dealer I think.

Posted

Hi this sounds very interesting, we have a Dorema full awning which is too small for our new van so I would be really interested in any information about converting a full awning to a combi. How difficult is it, do you need a 'down' pole as in porch awnings to keep it close to the van; do you need to do anything with existing poles, is it still okay to use them? Also would it work on our awning, the approximate difference between the size of this caravan and our old one is about 4ft internally. Sorry i know it is a lot of questions but the idea of being able to use something i thought was lost would be great. :cheering:

Posted

Hi

I refer to the reply by Bill Lord where he states that his combi awning has two "cuts" - one made by him and one made by a previous owner. May I ask if this causes any problem with leaking rainwater into the awning?

Do you need to do anything to seal up the extra cut?

I am considering buying a second hand porch awning but am not sure if the beading has been "cut" so am not sure whether this is a risk worth taking?

Thanks

Posted

It was never a problem for me.

Posted

Gary,

I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing. Mine is an NR Pullman 12ft full awning with fibreglass poles converted to a combination awning. It was quite a simple job, although I have improved the back pole by using a Isabella fitting. I think the finished job looks reasonably neat.

post-9671-0-72469400-1374155240_thumb.jp

post-9671-0-69287200-1374155263_thumb.jp

post-9671-0-19433000-1374155710_thumb.jp

Posted

Could some send me the instructions how to convert my awning to a porch awning please