Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electric Hookup Cable

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I am new to this and just got kitted out with the basics. I want to make an EHU box with cable with MCBs and RCD (It's OK, I am qualified to do it) but I am surprised at the lengths of cable on the ready made ones; 20m!

Based on your experience, how long a lead do I really need, ie how far away from the EHU will I be in my tent? Has anyone ever needed a cable 20m (over 60ft!) to reach the EHU post?

Also, how much power can be drawn? I see that 10A seems to be the lowest and some go up to 16A; should I cater for 10 to be sure, or are they rare these days, with 16A more the norm?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted

Can't speak for tent sites, but I have needed the 20metres on occasion .. have seen some where you needed more ..

allow for 16 Amp .. as you know 10 amp down a 16A cable is fine .. but why restrict yourself to 10 when 16 is available

Posted

Standard caravan EHU cables are 25m. Even then I've once or twice needed to join two together.

Posted

Welcome to the mad world of Camping stars.gif

Hi everyone,

I am new to this and just got kitted out with the basics. I want to make an EHU box with cable with MCBs and RCD (It's OK, I am qualified to do it) but I am surprised at the lengths of cable on the ready made ones; 20m!

Based on your experience, how long a lead do I really need, ie how far away from the EHU will I be in my tent? Has anyone ever needed a cable 20m (over 60ft!) to reach the EHU post?

Also, how much power can be drawn? I see that 10A seems to be the lowest and some go up to 16A; should I cater for 10 to be sure, or are they rare these days, with 16A more the norm?

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted

We have 2. One 25m and one 10m. Usually only use the 10m one but have been known to join them together.

Posted

Surely it is cheaper and less hassle to buy a ready made cable than to make one up? Also you may have hassles on some sites with the warden if they see it is a non standard cable.

Posted

Surely it is cheaper and less hassle to buy a ready made cable than to make one up? Also you may have hassles on some sites with the warden if they see it is a non standard cable.

Posted

That depends, as it is not just about cost. I was looking at a £40 bargain unit in Aldi yesterday, which is the identical unit as here and had 3 outlets, RCD, 10A MCB, but uses cheap F&S components. These are cheap Chinese devices and are extremely poor quality, built to a price. (Google 'F&S C45N' or /index.php?/topic/36744-think-i-need-a-new-c45n-c10-double-circuit-breaker/">Here on this Forum) For £40 and 30mins work I can build a better quality unit, with a higher IP rating, with quality commercial parts, but only 7m of cable, hence the question. The Blue/Yellow 2.5mm Arctic cable is about £1.40/m, so don't want to buy what is not needed.

For me it's not just about the cost, it's about value (ie Balancing the quality, reliability and cost) and for the RCD particularly, will it stop me or my family getting killed!

Thanks everyone so far for the input, much appreciated.

Posted

Seems I may have misunderstood you. Are you using a caravan or a tent. If a caravan, why do you need a RCD etc? If a tent, understandable.

Posted

Posted

Roger as we all know you get some strange and funny wardens around and if the OP uses for instance a white or black cable instead of orange, the warden may get uppity etc.

Posted

Roger as we all know you get some strange and funny wardens around and if the OP uses for instance a white or black cable instead of orange, the warden may get uppity etc.

Posted

Posted

We have 2. One 25m and one 10m. Usually only use the 10m one but have been known to join them together.

Posted

AFAIK there's no colour restriction on the cable, I've seen red, orange, yellow, blue, white and black in use - what happens if the warden doesn't like the colour of your awning?

Posted

I have never in 45 years of adult caravaning known of a warden who has complained about the colour of an EHU cable.. :thumbsup:

Posted

I was at C&CC Scone a couple of days ago and needed two 25mtr and one 12mtr cable, and they only just reached :fear:

Posted

For Information bs 7671 2008 max distance from a hook up pillar to caravan is 20m. Any longer it does not comply with the electrical regulations for the site, ask to see the site PIR there should be a departure from the regs noted on the report about this. (bet either no PIR avalible or the inspector does not know what he is doing) Note all CC site have the NICEIC PIR avalible for inspection.

Posted

Well against my better judgement, I purchased a brand new SunnFlair one and have already regretted it! I have had 23A (Measured) through it and the 10A MCB hasn't tripped :no:, not very safe, when it is there for your protection!

Waiting to see what SunFlair support say...

Posted

Posted

hi,arnt the leads supposed to be easily seen.steve

Posted

hi,arnt the leads supposed to be easily seen.steve

Posted

Well against my better judgement, I purchased a brand new SunnFlair one and have already regretted it! I have had 23A (Measured) through it and the 10A MCB hasn't tripped :no:, not very safe, when it is there for your protection!

Posted

Well it's been a month and my brand new faulty unit still hasn't been fixed; not impressed with SunFlair... In fact, despite chasing, I am still waiting to see what they are going to do; they are apparently discussing with the supplier in China...!

Posted

• Swift Challenger 580
      By GaryB · Posted
      Haha!  No, tried it to see how it works then quickly switched it off, but used the water heater daily and that was impressive.  Made a change to have a week away and NOT moan about the cold and rain!
    • Swift Challenger 580
      By Rune Caster · Posted
      You needed heating at Charmouth this week? I certainly didn't around the corner in Seaton
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Daisy8899

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts