Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thetford Casette Toilet, Full Warning Light Not Working, Help Please.

Question

Posted

I have a thetford casette toilet in my Avondale Argente. There is a red warning light that is supposed to come on when the casette needs emptying. Mine is not working. I have changed the batteries located in the casette locker but this has not cured the problem. Has anyonre any ideas how to fix???

Brian. :fear:

16 answers to this question

Posted

Could be a number of things. The obvious one you've already done by changing the batteries. With mine the reason was that the battery case had corroded on the connections and one wire had become disconnected. Rather than mess about cleaning it up, I bought a new one from Maplins for only around 30p. Another reason is that the magnet indicator is malfunctioning. You can test it by moving another magnet alongside it. (With the cassette removed from the housing)

Posted

Could be a number of things. The obvious one you've already done by changing the batteries. With mine the reason was that the battery case had corroded on the connections and one wire had become disconnected. Rather than mess about cleaning it up, I bought a new one from Maplins for only around 30p. Another reason is that the magnet indicator is malfunctioning. You can test it by moving another magnet alongside it. (With the cassette removed from the housing)

Posted

Hi Brian

I had this problem with my toilet a few months ago.

It turned out to be the LED. Got a new one from my dealer for £3.00, took 20 mins to replace, job done.

Growbag

Posted

As has been said - the light works by a magnet float inside the container -- this can get crudded up -- I have posted about this several times previously when it cost us £70 for a new container..

Ours was covered with a solid coating of pink pappier mache which proved impossible to remove, even with a sharp pointed knife..

If you find the magnet not working you can get to the mechanism through the top hole -- by undoing the three screws and lifting out the seal [it is handy to change the seal at this time as well]

Have a look and see if you can see the float and if it moves..

Best of luck

Maurice

Posted

Thanks guys for the replies, can anyone tell me is there some sort of electrical connection on the outside of the casette that connects to the batteries. There does not appear to be one on my casette.

I am wondering if the casette has been swapped at sometime and an old one put in. The van is an 04 that we bought used and the casette looks older than the one we had in our 1993 Super Sprite.

How does the casette pick up the power supply from the batteries???

Brian.

Posted

Thanks guys for the replies, can anyone tell me is there some sort of electrical connection on the outside of the casette that connects to the batteries. There does not appear to be one on my casette.

I am wondering if the casette has been swapped at sometime and an old one put in. The van is an 04 that we bought used and the casette looks older than the one we had in our 1993 Super Sprite.

How does the casette pick up the power supply from the batteries???

Brian.

Posted

You could deploy a type of dip stick like on oil levels in a car..... :laugh::laugh:

sorry that's actually no help at all....

But welcome to TnT....

Posted

Personally I prefer to empty the cassette every morning - it's a lot easier than lugging a full heavy load and is a lot easier to control the pour too.

Because the contents are not in there for too long you can cut down on the fluid also.

I have never understood why people let it get that full that it takes two of them to carry it across the site.

Before I get shot down in flames I accept that if you have kids on board you need to keep a closer eye on things and the warning light might just save a messy cleaning up job.

Dave

Posted

Thanks everyone. I went to the Caravan show at NEC on Tuesday and the chap on the Thetford stand showed me the internal workings. I now understand how the float works and will be bringing the casette home to strip down and check the float and replace the seals.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Posted

From what I was told by a caravan servicer Maurice is absolutely right. You may have caused the problem yourself by shaking the cassette too vigorously! [sorry]

Mine has never worked from new!

Posted

Personally I prefer to empty the cassette every morning - it's a lot easier than lugging a full heavy load and is a lot easier to control the pour too.

Because the contents are not in there for too long you can cut down on the fluid also.

I have never understood why people let it get that full that it takes two of them to carry it across the site.

Before I get shot down in flames I accept that if you have kids on board you need to keep a closer eye on things and the warning light might just save a messy cleaning up job.

Dave

Posted

If it needs 100ml fluid for a full tank, say 4 days, then 50ml will be enough for half a tank or 2 days and 25ml for a quarter tank or one day. qed..

The 400 series has a removable valve unit. This comes away complete with the float and enables a thorough internal clean to be carried out. I strip mine down after every trip. Shaking the tank vigorously will cause the float to comes off it's clip on mounting.

Posted

If my experience is anything to go by, you will probably have toilet paper wrapped around the float inside. I replaced the bulb and battery until I sorted out the real reason.

Posted

If my experience is anything to go by, you will probably have toilet paper wrapped around the float inside. I replaced the bulb and battery until I sorted out the real reason.

Posted

Hi Brian

I had this problem with my toilet a few months ago.

It turned out to be the LED. Got a new one from my dealer for £3.00, took 20 mins to replace, job done.

Growbag

Posted

Thetford repair instruction downloads here. Thetford manuals

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts