Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Caravan Modifications

Question

Posted

There was a thread some time ago on the changes people had made to make life in the 'van easier. I'm running out of ideas now (I love messing about with the 'van) so I thought I'd post one my modifications to prompt others to do the same.

Under the wardrobe is a lot of unused space (2002 Eccles Onyx) so I have fitted a sub shelf for items that are not used a lot. I simply screwed/glued a 10mm pse lath to the wallboard and one to the fire surround and placed the 4mm ply on top. I know that there's more space than this but I wanted to keep the items away from the cables and blown air ducts.

Stored here are the following:

Caravan manuals

Alko jack

Multimeter

Mains adapter cables

Bits and bobs boxes

There are other mods I have done if anyone is interested but I would certainly like to see your changes.

Mike

110 answers to this question

Posted

Bits and bobs boxes

Mike

Whats a bob and why is it different to a bit ?!!! :laugh:

Posted

Looks like a good mod. I might just pinch that idea.

The only things I've done to the current 'van so far are:

1) Home-made childproof lock for the door (discussed elsewhere.)

2) Rebuilt a stronger in-cupboard shelf to support the microwave (after the original one collapsed.)

3) Run a satellite cable from the drinks cupboard, through the wardrobe and into the battery box. The LNB cable now connects inside the battery box (the slot for the mains cable is just wide enough to accommodate this too.)

Plans (some of which are likely to happen, while others probably won't):

A/V feed from the satellite & media box to a 7" LCD TV in the rear so that the little fella can watch telly in bed of a morning. Hopefully it'll stop him bouncing on us.

Fit a push-button combination lock to the door, so that we don't need to carry keys (handy on a naturist site - no clothes = no pockets.)

Convert the manual flush toilet to electric, running off the 'van water supply and pump rather than the toilet flush tank (looks like I just need to get the thing open, fit a 12v solenoid operated valve, a button and a bit of wiring.

Arduino based gas bottle scale with LCD display (still looking out for a cheap but effective method of electronically weighing the bottle.)

Posted

I added a frame work underneath the fixed bed to restrict the amount of deflection of the slats, its now gone from being uncomfortable to giving the best nights sleep ever! Trouble is we've got a new caravan coming at the end of November so I'll remove it all just in case the new ones just as bad!

Posted

Whats a bob and why is it different to a bit ?!!! :laugh:

Easy - a bit is something that you know what it's for, whereas a bob is an item that you thought might be useful but haven't a clue what for or when - until you need it.

Mike

Posted

Looks like a good mod. I might just pinch that idea.

The only things I've done to the current 'van so far are:

1) Home-made childproof lock for the door (discussed elsewhere.)

2) Rebuilt a stronger in-cupboard shelf to support the microwave (after the original one collapsed.)

3) Run a satellite cable from the drinks cupboard, through the wardrobe and into the battery box. The LNB cable now connects inside the battery box (the slot for the mains cable is just wide enough to accommodate this too.)

Plans (some of which are likely to happen, while others probably won't):

A/V feed from the satellite & media box to a 7" LCD TV in the rear so that the little fella can watch telly in bed of a morning. Hopefully it'll stop him bouncing on us.

Fit a push-button combination lock to the door, so that we don't need to carry keys (handy on a naturist site - no clothes = no pockets.)

Convert the manual flush toilet to electric, running off the 'van water supply and pump rather than the toilet flush tank (looks like I just need to get the thing open, fit a 12v solenoid operated valve, a button and a bit of wiring.

Arduino based gas bottle scale with LCD display (still looking out for a cheap but effective method of electronically weighing the bottle.)

Like the idea for the door lock. This set me thinking, motorhomes have the habitation door operated by the central locking so why can't a caravan door lock be operated by a key fob?

Toilet flush - only snag is you will have to have water in the inboard tank if you want to use the loo when en-route. Why not just convert to electric flush?

Just tried our electronic scales but they don't switch off until the weight is removed.

Mike

Posted

Chrome electric towel rail in the end wash room.

Electric socket for the tooth brush in the cupboard in the wash room.

Raised the gas regulator above the height of the bottles to prevent crap in pipes - in front locker

Cut carpet circle for placing in the shower when not in use - to prevent scratching when transporting thins when travelling

Fitted rack for Cd's in 'drinks' cupboard

Fitted twin 13 A socket on front window shelf for lights and TV.

Fitted extension TV outlet on front shelf.

Usual thing -- fitted mover.

seems like nothing really

Maurice

Posted

Towel rail - £1.99 from Wilko. The blown air outlet is just below so it dries really quickly.

More, more!!

Mike

post-2170-1253376912_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi what wattage is your elestric towel rail thanks

Posted

Another one - I insulated the wheel box under the oven with some camping mat to prevent the water pipes freezing.

Mike

Posted

Hi what wattage is your electric towel rail thanks

Got mine from Plumb-world -- in a sale - I think it cost £30 about three years ago -- it is 50 watts at 240 volt - but plenty big enough to keep the towels warm and the room as well especially on a cold winder night !

electric towel rail

this is nearly the same - but mine is chrome.

Maurice

Posted

Where did you get the 240v power from and also what did you mount it to?

Posted

Where did you get the 240v power from and also what did you mount it to?

Installed a new 2x13 amp socket in the wardrobe -- which also used to plug in the tooth brush charger -- in the washroom and brought the cable through the wall -- mounted it on batons on the back wall fixed with "No Nails"

Maurice

Posted

Installed folding table in front of van to avoid taking the the huge lump that came with it.

Posted

Here are my alterations:-

Strong box fitted in a cupboard.

Timer added to the water heater

Overlaid the slats with ply on the bed lockers

Added a control valve to the shower

Fitted an additional dropdown shelf.

Removed plate racks and fitted second shelves in lockers

10 LED battery level display

Fiamma Security Handle on the door.

Winder guides on the corner steadies.

Converted Alko jockey wheel from solid to pneumatic tyre using:- http://www.towsure.com/product/13909-Swivel_Castor_300x4

Test nipple for testing for gas leakage.

Fitted radio and CD player.

Converted to LED lighting.

Fitted motor mover.

Fitted twin fans in fridge vents.

Moved 13amp socket from drainer to oven for kettle.

Fitted two other 13amp sockets.

Posted

I added extra brackets and slats under the base of bottom bunk in our van as it was only supported by one slim strut only held in place by one L shaped bracket at each end - a bit of a design faux pas there methinks!

Posted

Not much so far, but its early days :yes:

Run 6 coax cables from gas locker through to front drawer chest (2), side chest (2) and bedroom (2). All ones in van will be terminated with F connectors once I can get some sense out of my dealer :wall3: who insists they are not available (when the mfr. says they are)

Removed all excess sealant and refinished.

Fitted new more modern awning light.

TONY

Posted

Not much so far, but its early days :yes:

Run 6 coax cables from gas locker through to front drawer chest (2), side chest (2) and bedroom (2). All ones in van will be terminated with F connectors once I can get some sense out of my dealer :wall3: who insists they are not available (when the mfr. says they are)

Removed all excess sealant and refinished.

Fitted new more modern awning light.

TONY

is that for a TV ? the coax cable ??

Posted

Satellite, RF out and one for TV Maurice

Cheers, TONY

Posted

Installed a new 2x13 amp socket in the wardrobe -- which also used to plug in the tooth brush charger -- in the washroom and brought the cable through the wall -- mounted it on batons on the back wall fixed with "No Nails"

Maurice

Hi Maurice - but how did you get any 240v to your washroom area? I have an end washroom but no 240V anywhere near without going under the van

Posted

Satellite feed from inside battery box to TV location

Extra 240V sockets under front seats to charge Dyson and walkie talkies

To happen:

Extra 240v Sockets for side dinnette

Heated towel rail in bathroom - if I can ever work out how to get power there and where to mount it

Light in Front locker

Posted

Hi Maurice - but how did you get any 240v to your washroom area? I have an end washroom but no 240V anywhere near without going under the van

that is what I did

--I connected into the back of 13 A socket under the cooker then -- down through ventilation hole under the van and up through the ventilation hole in the back locker and up into the wardrobe. I used a new bit of the Orange cable that I had from the EHU cable - tied it to the inside of the chassis with plastic cable ties. All nice and neat.

-- Then clipped cable up inside the wardrobe and fitted 13 A socket with a RCD trip on it ..

post-237-1253531453_thumb.jpg

A flexible cable through the wash basin cupboard at the back and out to the back wall of the wash room under the window..

Towel rail mounted on two nice batons - which were glued to the wall with stuff called "No Nails" -- with chrome mirror screws..

Seems to work - :thumbsup: - got a double adaptor on the socket and plug in the tooth brush charger which stands next to the wash basin.

Maurice

Posted

Maurice

Thanks for that - looks like it would work for me as well

Posted

In fact just found this which I think would be ideal

http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod132114

Now just need to get wiring

Posted

In fact just found this which I think would be ideal

http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod132114

Now just need to get wiring

that is just like mine -- only mine is chrome !!

See Chrome towel rail

Maurice

Posted

Maurice - what wattage is yours as wandering if 45w will be enough to warm the bathroom up?