Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spinflo Grill/oven Will Not Stay Alight

Question

Posted

Hi ..

We have a fairly new Spinflo grill & oven in our van which has developed a problem

After igniting either grill or oven and holding in the gas control knob it would normally stay light after about 10 seconds or so.

This no longer seems to work even after holding the knob in for over a minute - at any time when you release the knob the flames just go out.

Anyone have a clue?

15 answers to this question

Posted

Hi ..

We have a fairly new Spinflo grill & oven in our van which has developed a problem

After igniting either grill or oven and holding in the gas control knob it would normally stay light after about 10 seconds or so.

This no longer seems to work even after holding the knob in for over a minute - at any time when you release the knob the flames just go out.

Anyone have a clue?

Posted

We had a Spinflo cooker in our motorhome. It was a constant source of complaint. Didn't light and above all the knobs got so hot you couldn't touch them if the grill was on. Would never have another van with one!

Posted

We have the Spinflo Triple and no problems - there is a shield below the knobs to deflect the grill heat. BTW this is a brand new van (March 2009) so assume it is also a brand new oven/grill/hotplate.

Posted

We have the Spinflo Triple and no problems - there is a shield below the knobs to deflect the grill heat. BTW this is a brand new van (March 2009) so assume it is also a brand new oven/grill/hotplate.

Posted

Should hope you have no problems judging by the price you paid for the van.

Posted

You need to get the appliance checked by an engineer, either ACOPs or Gas Safe qualified. There are Mobile Engineers available and a good source can be found here http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/ and look under f"ind an engineer" for your area.

Yaris

Posted

Thanks for the replies.

Went to the caravan dealer today (luckily it's still in warranty) and they beleive it's the thermocouple thingies :huh: thats faulty

Something about little magnets and 1.2 volts ... completely went over my head that did.

Strange that both should fail at the same time - oh well at least they say they'll fix them for free... just aggravation that I have to take the van to them plus I bet they won't have the parts in stock when I do

As for the knobs getting hot - we noticed that happening when the grill was working - only today checked and there is a small slide-out shield under the knobs as mentioned by Greeen Squirrel. Funny that there's no mention of this is the ovens manual :rolleyes:

Posted

aparantly there are no thetford / spinflo aproved mobile enginers in the uk , well thats acording to thetford / spinflo (well that is what they tell everyone )

a bit odd that , as i went on a course at the begining of this year with metz and gary , its just a shame they dont pay there bills when work is done :sweatdrop:

Posted

Thanks for the replies.

Went to the caravan dealer today (luckily it's still in warranty) and they beleive it's the thermocouple thingies :huh: thats faulty

Something about little magnets and 1.2 volts ... completely went over my head that did.

Strange that both should fail at the same time - oh well at least they say they'll fix them for free... just aggravation that I have to take the van to them plus I bet they won't have the parts in stock when I do

As for the knobs getting hot - we noticed that happening when the grill was working - only today checked and there is a small slide-out shield under the knobs as mentioned by Greeen Squirrel. Funny that there's no mention of this is the ovens manual :rolleyes:

Posted

I think perhaps they have updated the handbook as ours says NOT to use the grill unless the deflector is pulled out!

Posted

Strange that both should fail at the same time -

Posted

the bull Sh1t deflector LOL

Posted

Hi Gary, Strange thing i had one this weekend , faulty thermo couple and elecro magnet, thermo-couple had fractured by i think by a cracked base plate (Truma room heater), the magnet was corroded that badly i had to destroy it to get it out, working like a good un now though.

Posted

Mighty odd George, Truma magnet caps being brass should not set up the situation for corrosion to occur? I wonder if sea air has anything to do with it?

The clue though to the rest is the cracked base plate, I'd say lack of wheel balance perhaps aided by over inflated tyres has caused that :yes:

Posted

Yes Mate, I'm sure the plate cracking was caused by the wheels being unbalanced judging by the position of the cracks in the plate,when you saw it in position it was obvious, as for the corrosion i don't know, i did ask the owner if the van had been flooded through deep water,not as far as he knew, I've never seen on like that before, any way of on Hols on Thursday will give you a visit when we get back.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard