Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lack Of Sockets

Question

Posted

Hi,

I wondered if any of you guy's knew if it were possible to add an extra one or two internal power sockets to my old Hobby.

I'm sure it will be with a little know-how and some advice.

We only have ONE at the moment, not very practical.

Any advice would be great (except "take it to a caravan workshop")

Thanks

45 answers to this question

Posted

im sorry but if you have to ask on here how to fit extras sockets, you should not be doing it. as with any job were there could be a serious accident if not done properly, pay for a qualified person to do it and make sure you get a certificate of minor works.

Posted

Shorty Hi. I totally agree with Mr. Sheens on this..and he should know!! :yes: Also you say you have only one socket at the moment..Sounds like quite an oldish Van then? It definately will need a qualified electrician to install extra power points if it can be done..and not a job for the unqualified person. Please don't risk doing it yourself...its not only your life you are chancing but the lives of other Vanners etc. on any site.

Get an electrician to have a look...and give you a price etc. May not be as bad as you think...and you may not need too many sockets..

Chris x

Posted

Hi,

I wondered if any of you guy's knew if it were possible to add an extra one or two internal power sockets to my old Hobby.

I'm sure it will be with a little know-how and some advice.

We only have ONE at the moment, not very practical.

Any advice would be great (except "take it to a caravan workshop")

Thanks

Posted

have sent you a pm :thumbsup:

Posted

And me. (a PM sent)

The OP made a request in the last sentence which seems to have been overlooked.. He doesn't say HE is going to do it but asked... is it possible?

In any event it is posssible to do your own wiring. The Regs are not that difficult to understand. And inspection and certificate on completion is easily arranged if required...

Posted

IIRC, the Haynes Caravan Manual tells you how to add sockets... or at least it used to. Why would it do that if the procedure is inherently dangerous?

Care and common sense are the only requirements. I added a number of sockets to our first caravan, and wired up the mains electrics for the water heater on our second 'van when I swapped the standard Cascade II for a Cascade II GE.

On the first 'van, I also disconnected a socket that the previous owner had stupidy wired to the inlet side of the mains box (so that it was still live with the MCB or RCD tripped out.) The new regulations are there because of numpties like that, not sensible people who are capable of properly following instructions.

Posted

i fully agree that fitting of additional sockets is easy, but when someone is asking how to do it, to me they cannot be competent and should not do it.

remember that PIR (Periodic Inspection Reports) are being introduced by the NCC and I am hosting a 3 day course in August were 3 of my technicians, along with 7 others, will be trained to undertake the PIR. and in the future the CC & CCC sites will ask for this report before you are able to have a pitch with electric hook-ups.

Posted

what a load of bollocks :no:

Posted

what a load of bollocks :no:

Posted

i agree it is bollocks, but being a member of the ACW and knowing that the NCC are driving this through, i have to have technicians trained to provide the PIR

Posted

Hmm not Bo**ox at all, how often do you test your rcd ? Would that be with a calibrated rcd tester then? You would be amazed how many rcds fail the test the max time allowed for a 30 milli amp rcd is 200 milli secs at its rated fault current and 40 milli secs at 5 times its rated current. The proper tester does this test do you have one or the knowledge to use it?

Caravans are wired to bs 7671 part of that includes a periodic test to be done every 3 years (read the label in your caravan)

I don`t see why a site can`t ask you for pir report, you have every right to ask for there pir before plugging you van into there supply. All caravan club sites are inspected every year normally the report is on display in reception.

Bring it on I have a book of NICEIC periodic reports for lesiure vehicles to use up. This would mean more room on sites and more room on the roads for me and Mr Sheen.

Posted

That would be nice for you.

Posted

More rules for people using CC and C&CC sites is fine by me, just sends more customers to us. All of out EHUs are tested at the start of each season. Currently the most your caravan can do is trip the supply for yourself and others using the same EHU, going forward we will upgrade to the 17th edition and then the only one with a problem wil be you.

I do agree though that DIY is not a good idea and Testing is a good idea. An RCD works by detecting a difference between the current flowing in the Live and Neutral conductors the difference being the result of some current flowing to Earth. In a caravan it is extremely easy to remove any path to Earth, then should you make contact with a Live part you will not recieve a shock, however if you make contact with Live and Neutral you will get a shock (probably a serious one) as the RCD will treat you as any other appliance and not operate, your only protection then is the overcurrent protection which is usually 16A which is far in excess of the 100mA which can be fatal.

Posted

Hmm not Bo**ox at all, how often do you test your rcd ? Would that be with a calibrated rcd tester then? You would be amazed how many rcds fail the test the max time allowed for a 30 milli amp rcd is 200 milli secs at its rated fault current and 40 milli secs at 5 times its rated current. The proper tester does this test do you have one or the knowledge to use it?

Caravans are wired to bs 7671 part of that includes a periodic test to be done every 3 years (read the label in your caravan)

I don`t see why a site can`t ask you for pir report, you have every right to ask for there pir before plugging you van into there supply. All caravan club sites are inspected every year normally the report is on display in reception.

Bring it on I have a book of NICEIC periodic reports for lesiure vehicles to use up. This would mean more room on sites and more room on the roads for me and Mr Sheen.

Posted

Why does a site EHU have an RCD and, also, the caravan attached to it? I seem to recall that using two RCDs in line was a no-no but it's standard practice on caravan sites.

Posted

No problem using more than one RCD, normally the trip time or current increases on each one as you work back towards the supply, Including the one in the caravan there will be three RCDs protecting you One one the Main Site Supply @ 100Ma one int the EHU @ 30Ma then the one in your Caravan @30Ma. As the EHU and Caravan are the Same Nominal Rating under fault conditions one or both may trip, hence the guidline about not having Multiple RCDs as when a fault occours you have to go and hunt down which one has failed.

Posted

I have added extra sockets with probably a better spec than any dealer and obviously at a a lower cost and I am not a qualified electrician.

Posted

i agree it is bollocks, but being a member of the ACW and knowing that the NCC are driving this through, i have to have technicians trained to provide the PIR

Posted

Attached copy of page 211 Requirements for electrical Installations IEE wiring regs 17th Edition.

Lance

Posted

Attached copy of page 211 Requirements for electrical Installations IEE wiring regs 17th Edition.

Lance

Posted

spot on lance ,is that from the bsi book ?

thing is there will be some that might say you have made that up ,

Posted

I concur, its page 211 in my copy :thumbsup:

Posted

funny that isnt it ,

Posted

Lance

Posted

it was released in January 2008, was made mandatory for all installations tested, designed or constructed after July 1, 2008 i have been talking about it since august 2008

and beejay folk do have it coiled up ,

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard