Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fishing Closed Season Confusion?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

The fishing season on rivers is CLOSED between March 15 and June 15. So I thought I would be correct in thinking that fishing would be a non starter on rivers and waterways until June 16. Right? No, wrong! :stars:

Turns out that although some waters are connected to a river, some are considered "closed" waters, so the closed season doesn't apply.

This was the case at Baltic Wharf CC site at Bristol which backs onto the quayside of the Avon inland waterway that runs through Bristol and is seperated from the tidal River Avon by two locks. The locals told me it is a closed water and they were bream / roach fishing. Good sport was being had too.

I find this closed water, open water issue very confusing as there seems no logical explanation as to what exactly is the difference.

The Baltic Wharf example is easy to determine (with hindsight) but I know marinas and lakes attached to rivers that are considered closed waters but no physical barrier (lock) actually exists between the river and the marina or lake.

I do not want to get a criminal record just for fishing out of season so does anyone know the answer to this dilema?

Perhaps we need the EA to give us some clarification on this issue.

How about if we start a list of "closed waters" where fishing is allowed all year around?

Any thoughts?

Posted

From the Environment Agency website

The close season lasts from 15 March to 15 June inclusive each year. Its purpose is to protect fish during the breeding season. It applies to all rivers, streams and drains in England & Wales, but does not apply to most still-waters. There are exceptions to this rule. They can be found in local angling byelaws which can be obtained from local Environment Agency offices by calling 08708 506 506 or on the Environment Agency’s website at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/.

From Tuesday 16 June, anglers will be able to fish for coarse fish again in rivers and other waters where the close season applies, but they still need to have a valid rod licence and the consent of the landowner.

Posted

Looking on: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/...dex.htm?lang=_e

I found this:

A Notice (with Schedules) was issued by Defra/WAG on 18th December 2003 to designate over 14,500 km of rivers and canals and 14,000 ha of still waters in England and Wales.

Posted

I made the phone calls. Predictably, the EA referred me to Defra Helpline, who referred me to the Maine & Fisheries Agency, who referred me back to the EA. :wall2:

About to try the EA again.......... :undecided:

Posted

It was coming in just as I stopped angling and it seemed to me far too complicated.

Mind you I once tried to research the French system, and that was much worse than ours because of the 90 French departments.

It would seem to me that the laws are more likely to be abused because of the lack of clarity.

Posted

Finally spoke to a helpful person at The EA and she could not find the answer. She promised to look into this and get back to me. If she does, I post it up here.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard