Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Sons Into Fishing...

15 posts in this topic

Posted

My son has been into fishing in a big way for 6 months or so now. I know nothing what so ever about it and to be truthful can not see the need to wait a hour... catch it and then throw it back :no:

But I am a good mum and I will help if I can just like the bearded dragon and the skate boarding and karate etc etc etc

What I can not understand is when we were watching a guy he was pulling in little fish by the minute but when my son finally got out all his paraphernalia it took him over a hour to catch anything...Is it because the guy had a better rods or is it because my son does something with his..say pulls it out and in too much...My son is only ten and I did feel a bit for him and to be truthful I had left him with dad and missed the big catch lol we have photos bless...a good 3 inch fish lol... that and putting hooks into maggots heads is not really my thing lol...I would love any beginners advice please that I could pass on...

Posted

hi there if he,s catchin he not doing much wrong , trust me i,ve sat there for 24 hours and not caught , next time if somebody fishin close and catchin go and have friendly chat what bait using, method of fishing etc , dont forget you dont need to spend hundreds and top names also fleabay for bargains cheers john

Posted

Good advice & really nice people on here.........

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/forum....amp;whichpage=1

Chrissie if had known I would have brought some DVD`s up with us they really helped San when she first started :yes:

Posted

It's how he presents the right bait to the fish on the right day more than the tackle he uses, I often go into the tackle shops and see all the fancy shinny colourful stock and wonder if it's to catch fish or to catch the fisherman's wallet :yes:

He's better spending money on knowledge rather than Tackle and a lot of knowledge comes cheap if you ask the fisherman who catches fish rather than the tackle man who sells tackle.

Posted

It's how he presents the right bait to the fish on the right day more than the tackle he uses, I often go into the tackle shops and see all the fancy shinny colourful stock and wonder if it's to catch fish or to catch the fisherman's wallet :yes:

He's better spending money on knowledge rather than Tackle and a lot of knowledge comes cheap if you ask the fisherman who catches fish rather than the tackle man who sells tackle.

Posted

Thank you for your help..glad to hear that its not cos we haven't spent £100...he is watching Robson at the mo, even I dont mind this lol, I will have a look round the maggot forum, you never know I might get to like it. When the sun come out that is.

Just one more question dont the hooks hurt their mouth, if they are caught lots of times will they not get holes in them. I know this is irrelevant really but I have always wondered about it

Posted

Thank you for your help..glad to hear that its not cos we haven't spent £100...he is watching Robson at the mo, even I dont mind this lol, I will have a look round the maggot forum, you never know I might get to like it. When the sun come out that is.

Just one more question dont the hooks hurt their mouth, if they are caught lots of times will they not get holes in them. I know this is irrelevant really but I have always wondered about it

Posted

OH my gosh Aidan how very dare you lol......guess I will have to close my eyes like I do with the maggot bit..My son was saying look mum just under the eye and I felt my belly turn..And as for putting them in the fridge he has NO chance what so ever lol.I used to have a plum tree in my garden but after seeing the wasp on them I would not eat them so you have no chance of me eating caught fish either Ewww

Posted

I have the same belly turning sensation when I see the so called freshness of the fish in a fishmongers window with all the flies hovering over the fillets.

The fish I like to eat best is a Mackeral, caught and put on the Barbeque with in 3 hrs any longer and it will taste completely different as the flesh and oils starts to break down, I can't eat a bought Mackeral the taste is rancid IMHO

Posted

I have the same belly turning sensation when I see the so called freshness of the fish in a fishmongers window with all the flies hovering over the fillets.

The fish I like to eat best is a Mackeral, caught and put on the Barbeque with in 3 hrs any longer and it will taste completely different as the flesh and oils starts to break down, I can't eat a bought Mackeral the taste is rancid IMHO

Posted

hi got to agree with aidan on state of fish , seen some right sorry states , i,ll have a look should have some dvds in loft , keep him interested only wish my son could get into it {now 18} better than sittin vegetatin in front of x box , i dont go as often as used to now since lost best mate 18 months ago , must admit going more lazy now just sittin waitin for alarms to go off but then when they do :jump: personal best 24lb 6oz mirror carp cheers tight lines john

Posted

hi ruby know what u mean about maggots in the fridge shirley is the same :rant: an idea is to get yourself a cheap secondhand fridge :thumbsup: then there is no argument we call ours the bait fridge and we put anything that has to be kept cool in there (including the beer) :beer::wine:

hope this helps regards martin

Posted

I'm sat here laughing my socks off

The amount of money spent doesn't = fish on the bank it's how and where

some days you can sit at a lake or river peg and catch nothing whilst the bloke next door bags up it can be something as silly as he's got one more/less grain of sweetcorn on than you (or maggot)

What he needs to do is find someone who wil help him out - - some anglers are totally solitary but others do help kids out if they are good lads/lasses

there are lots of fishing forums out there (I know I admin one) there are some quite ropey ones too wherethe users are only interested in showing how big a fish they caught 30 seconds ago

As forthe fish pain thing

I KNOE there are two sides to theargument I've been harangued many times about it

my answer

lots of fish eat crustaceans shells and all

so if sanil shells don't hurt a barbless hook won't -- I've fished barbless now for 12 years and have landed loads of big ones and I have noticed that s more folk do then the fish are in better condition

Oh Yess tell your lad to stop watching that ******* Robson Green he should not be allowed to portray angling as he is he is a target of scorn for most decent anglers in fact I did hear of some who are liable to get him done over if he's found anywhere near them

All he has done is give the anti's ammunition against real anglers who do not handle fish as he does -- crumbs I've even got a fish medical kit for if I find a fish injured by bad handling most Carp Anglers do now a days. One point some of the lads might not realise is that the old Tench is an expensive fish up to 10lb they cost £1 a pound, and over that they cost £1.50 a pound so 100 fish at 5 pounds weight each costs an angling club £500 to buy then they have to pay for transport and vets checks to say they are safe to put in the lake/river they have fishing rights for

This is why fish should be handled with respect and wet hands

Could go on for pages - but better not

Posted

Do the decent thing....

Take him to a football match, rugby game or to a motorsport event...... :laugh:

Posted

Hi, I'm on a bit of a sabbatical from angling,(fishing is done with nets). I've fished for almost thirty years, winning more matches than I can remember, with lots of those years at the top of the Match angling scene. The ONLY way forward is for your lad to join a club, there are loads all over, and he will get the best tuition available, usually for free. All types of angling is covered, and usually includes fish welfare. The ones I used to be involved with have spurned some world champions too. As to the "fish feel pain" argument, I've always thought, if it hurt, they wouldn't pull back, much like a bull with a ring through it's nose. One thing I do agree with, is the use of barbless hooks, not only fish welfare, but when they go in your fingers, they are easier to get out. Angling in all its forms is a great outdoor hobby,job or like me, semi-pro. Gaz

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard