Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journey To Pompeii

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Some years ago, a member kindly provided me with information of a route I can take to Italy that isn't a "white knuckle ride" regarding hairpin bends and mountainous road. Unfortunately I have mislaid this info. We are hoping to go to Italy with the ultimate aim of visiting Pompeii. Please could someone help me with a suggested route, and if they've got any campsite suggestions. We live in Norwich, so will go via Dover etc... I'm a novice with regard to towing, but I have managed the return journey to Southern Spain from Bilbao, including towing in a convoy with lorries behind a snow plough - really hairy!!

Jackie

Posted

See you are a fellow Rexton owner...should see plenty of them in Italy.

The AA Maps site gives Calais to Napoli ( don't use Naples it dosn't recognise it!) as about 1900 miles and it seems to be mainly motorway....once you leave the motorway at Naples and been sold a million cigarettes or perfumes the roads become narrow and twisty and some are steep so 'vans not best suited!

Watch out for scooters with up to six people on...no helmets and often shopping as well............and dogs and cats within Pompeii....we had a cloudburst after 3 months of no rain when we were there and had to shelter with the artefacts!....the village was flooded and the market destroyed....but other than that it was great!

No idea of sites but leave that to others!

cheers

geoff

Posted

Pompeii is wondeful..... but be sure to go on a guided tour as the tour guides are really enthusiastic and will tell you all the stuff that is not in the tourist brochure.

Unfortunatley I have no idea on routes or sites as I visited as part of a company "jolly".

If you can get out to Capri and up Vesuvius whilst you are there all the better... there really is so much to see.

I'm quite envious thinking about it!

G

Posted

We did this route a few years ago. We left Calais and took the motorway through Belgium and Luxembourg. We spent the first night at Thionville. We continued on the A31 to Metz but rather than taking the A4 to Strasbourg, we continued down to Nancy and Epinal, staying overnight at Remiremont. Next day we travelled into Switzerland, overnighting at Sempach. We moved on to Florence staying at Girasole (?) at Figline Valdarno. We stayed there using it as centre to visit Florence and Pisa. After four days we moved on to Rome for a further three days. Then we continued on to Pompei. We only stayed for three nights because of the noise on site, which was situated between the main road through town and the local railway line. Traffic noise and the sound of car horns lasted long into the night. We left Pompeii and travelled north to Venice staying at CaSavio for a further ten days. Overnight stops at Como and Luxembourg got us back to Calais.

Posted

Now there was I thinking (see my previous posts) that Italy wasnt the done thing these days!

How gratified and enlightened I was to read this particular thread,the Pompeii trip seems to be quite an adventure.We are doing an Italian trip ourselve in june,we have a one-way ferry crossing booked and intend to end up at Lido di Spina,near Commachio on the Gulf of Venice.

From there,given how favourable onditions may me,we can press on further down the Adriatic to well,heaven knows where! The further south you go,one expects to see less and less people from the UK as we progress.Its a shame that,as having less and less 'touristy' things on offer,the more intertesting locals seem to be towards you,coming from so far.I am the first to admit that not everywhere will come up to scratch-I'm under no illusions there-but finding out will be an inspiration to us all. :pizza::drive:

Barry.

Posted

As per John Douglas' route.

We normally stay at Sorrento camping Santa Fortunata. If you want a few days in the area then it is a good base for Capri, Amalfi etc. Pompii should be visited by the Circumvesuviana local train which is cheap and stops at the ruin.

Daydreamer,

We have been touring Italy for the past 15 years or so and you will be lucky to see any Brits where you are going. We stayed just north of Porto Garibaldi and the re were none there.

Comacchio is a nice town to visit, a mini Venice with the canals but not the buildings.

The Ferrara/Porto Garibaldi autostrada can be a bit hairy in places with unfenced 30 ft drops at the side of it.

Posted

I wish I were going to Italy - its far too far for me now!

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard