Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gas........

Question

Posted

Can you have any length of gas pipe from an external gas point ?

I'm wanting to have the BBQ at the back of the van so i would need a 25ft length !

Many Thanks.

15 answers to this question

Posted

Don't park next to me! :fear:

Some BBQ point suppliers supply a ready-made length of hose of around about a metre. Others simply supply the connector for you to attach the gas hose - but 25ft I would not recommend!!

FD

Posted

FD whats the technical reason for not having a long length of pipe. Perhaps you could contribute to the boards tutorials...............

Posted

FD. I would have thought that if the pipe was well protected from damage, it shouldn't make any difference what length the pipe was. But as Harry said, maybe there is some technical reason for not having this length.

Regards.

Posted

We have an outside BBQ point on our caravan which is on the nearside. When I went to a dealer to get some hose, they said that they could only sell me 1m due to the regulations.

With the awning up, this would put the BBQ/Cadac just outside the canvas which I would consider to be more dangerous than having a 2-3 metre hose! Not sure about 25 feet though!

Posted

Very tricky this one - there is no maximum length of gas hose recommended for an exterior BBQ point. Corgi states a competent person should only connect the hose to a BBQ point. A competent person would not use 25ft of hose due to the risk of possible puncture to the hose.

I have discussed the matter with Corgi and stressed my 'discomfort' that a regulation indicating a maximum length was not in force.

If a customer in our leisure shop asked to purchase say 10 metres of hose to connect to their BBQ point, we would refuse as we have a duty of care to advise against this. To take it a stage further, if we did sell the 10m of hose knowing it was being used for this purpose and there was an accident (child tripping over hose causing BBQ to topple over / or puncture and fire), we could be deemed liable, it's a very 'grey area'. :book:

Therefore, I can understand the dealer who would not sell the hose any longer than 1 metre in length. However if he knew the hose was to be used on a BBQ point to the Near-side, by selling only as metre he could be deemed to not providing 'a duty of care' as 1 metre would not place the BBQ far away from an awning (if fitted). In this instance a 2-metre length would be more appropriate.

I would simply advise to those using an exterior BBQ to use the shortest length of hose as you see safe. 'Suggest' 1 metre for the off-side and 2 metres for the near side.

Now must get back to work - NEC tomorrow! :wine:

FD

Posted

:drive: FD, could a connection to the actual gas service pipe at a convenient point not be made and a run to the rear of the caravan made with the correct spec materials and fittings? :thumbsup:

Posted

If a Corgi registered engineer carried out the works within the regulations then there shouldn't be a problem.

By doing this with copper pipe in the van, rather than a long length of rubber hose outside, I would see this as a much better proposition. :thumbsup:

FD

Posted

Gypos idea is a good solution but the BBQ is still only 1 mtr from the caravan, I wouldn't be happy with that.

Checking my local sources it seems the 1 mtr rule stems from a GERMAN NEN-EN 1763 regulation which appears to relate to hose length IN a caravan .Also states hose may only be used where a flexible connection is essential.

Hoses up to 25 mtrs in length are readilly available here. (buy on your next holiday)

Posted

The same regulation also calls for steel pipe, not copper.

Posted

There is also a UK regulation for gas hose IN a caravan of 750mm. There is no regulation as I detailed regarding the length of a hose outside the caravan. There are length regualtions for mobile homes and commercial catering. but not relevant to touring caravans.

If you are not happy with a metre, then I dare say 2 metres would not be out of the question, but 25 metres??? - surely not??? :fear:

I assume your van is a UK model Gypo, thus would advise using the same copper piping as used when manufactured.

FD

Posted

FD. I understand where your coming from, I think I will stick the BBQ at the front of the van, just to be on the safe side. :yes:

Posted

In my opinion you have chosen the best option Boycie - certainly seems safer.

Happy cooking !

Talking of which, is it lunchtime yet.......

FD

Posted

Like F-D, I'm amazed that there isn't a limit on the length of trailing gas hose and commend him for his safety-minded approach to customers. Very sensible F-D.

Personally, I don't really see the sense of these external gas points. Surely it's much safer to use external gas hobs and barbecues with a small, separate gas cylinder, and shorter connecting hose, as intended by the manufacturers of such appliances??

Now I'm prepared to be 'shot at' again, :sofa: but the gas supply systems used in modern German 'vans are much safer. :yes:

AFAIK 'Push-on' gas pipes, with jubillee clips, are now illegal on modern German 'vans. All flexible gas pipes/connections are done with dedicated screw thread connectors which are specially 'crimped' onto the flexible 'orange' pipe during manufacture. Different lengths of such gas pipes are available, but I think only up to ~1m {I can't check in my German, & French, catalogues at present}.

When using my external gas hob (old Calor 2-burner), I connect it directly to a Twinny (French) or Camping Gaz cylinder, and position them (together) where I wish to cook. No long trailing gas hose at all!

Take care out there!

Posted

I try hard to site my Cadac downwind of the awning so like a longish pipe but My FD certainly didn't like the idea of a long pipe mine is about 10 ft.

Posted

I am glad I have not got that problem as my Cadac connect directly to the gas bottle so no need for any hose ::D:::D:::D:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts