Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intended Tour Of Italy

24 posts in this topic

Posted

:yes: we hope to do a tour of Italy next june & am seeking all the advice we can get, but primarily the best non toll route & overnight stops from Dunkerque down to camping san francesco, Desenzano ,northern Italy where we intend to do the C&CC la dolce vita tour off our own back's. As I say all advice,recomendations ect would be much appreciated as we have not towed to Italy before. We have 6 weeks to do this so no rush.

thank you all In antisitpation Tony

Posted

Tony,

We went to San Felice Del Banaco - a few K's from where you are going - and I can say the journey to that part of Italy is great...we went over the swiss mountains via Moloja pass and it was lovely.

As a warning all I would say is that Italian drivers don't give you the space you may need and aren't renowned for their patience - we found this to be true but on the whole the Autostrada's are great. Around that part of Garda the roads can be busy and winding - take it easy.

I am sure you will have a great journey.

Nick

Posted

As always,heed the advise of fellow travellers who have done this trip before.You will glean brilliant info if you troll thru the Italy bit of this forum.

Next June is just when we are going (again!) and are looking forward to the trip.As for your route it really is up to you how you wish to get to Italy the best possible way,and of course which part of this country you wish to visit.Autostradas. First thing that comes to mind is cost,but beleive me,itd the quickest way to traverse this land with numerous points to stop for a break.What follows are sites for you to check out:

www.greenstop24it/index

www.campeggi.com/en/index

The latter will give you detailed caravan sites to explore for whichever region you so wish.The first one will give you details of free (yes) stopover farms etc.located off the autostradas to break your trip too.

Dont be afraid to pick correspondents brains (mine included) to help you along.

Good planning to you. :drive::pizza:

Posted

Daydreamer & Nick,Thank you very much for your replie's & links which I have found very usefull Any further replies & info would be gratefully appreciated T D

Posted

Tony It is few years since we did that and we also went to San Felice Del Benaco althought we went to look at the site you are going to. I have a trip diary with all details I could let you haveif you are interested. if so if you pm me with an e address i can attach the word document

Posted

Don't miss Lago di Iseo. Excellent site here Camping Punta d'Oro

Posted

Having looked at the C&CC itinerary, we have stayed on all the sites used. They are all in the Magic Italy combine so when at San Francesco, ask for the Magic Italy book and discount card for 10% off the next sites.

If you wish to travel as far as Sorrento, then Camping Santa Fortunata, again Magic Italy site, may suit your needs.

Route we use to Italy is toll free to Switzerland. Dunkerque, Lille, Luxembourg, Nancy, Epinal, Mulhouse. Basle. You can opt for travel not using motorways through Switzerland but we have never done so. £40 for two vignettes. Then toll roads in Italy to Desanzano.

Posted

You can opt for travel not using motorways through Switzerland but we have never done so. £40 for two vignettes.

Posted

Thanks once again folks. Rostrevor,Beejay, I was under the impression from mappy & michelin that the swiss vignett was €55 each for the car & for the van??

Now have to find out how to remove the speed camera facility from my Tom Tom & replace them when out of switzerland, But as an afterthought if swiss camera's are not on it is it still illegal??

Posted

Thanks once again folks. Rostrevor,Beejay, I was under the impression from mappy & michelin that the swiss vignett was €55 each for the car & for the van??

Posted

Tony,We went to San Felice Del Banaco - a few K's from where you are going - and I can say the journey to that part of Italy is great...we went over the swiss mountains via Moloja pass and it was lovely.

Posted

All information gratefully received! We are just starting our planning for a 2 plus month tour starting end April when we hope to get right down to the toe!

We know Italy well from our days as tour driver and manager as well as several car trips BUT have never ever camped - we picked up the ACSI book and disc at the NEC as well as the CC guides - must say the sites seem expensive when compared to France and Iberia, or are there municipal type sites?

Look forward to suggestions re INTERNET web sites etc.

Posted

We dont go through Switzerland, we travel down France and through the Frejus tunnel.

Love Italy, we havent had a problem with the Italian drivers, but then have been mainly on motorways with the van on the back.

Elsewhere you just be careful like driving anywhere

Just love the fact that there are service stations every 5 minutes, to stop for a quick expresso coffee and be in your way

We were gobsmacked the first time we went, really didnt expect it to be so mountainous, but of course, thats why its still there jutting out into the med.

Fantastic times, great memories, ask the waiters what they recommend and dont have lasagne, spag bol etc, they are just tourist meals, go for something different, pizzas with seafood or goats cheese, pastas with seafood too

Just ask, half the fun :thumbsup:

Also dont expect all of them to speak English, there are not so many English speaking Italians around

Posted

::): thank you all again for your advice

TD

Posted

I thought the sites were very pricey when we went down to Venice in a Hymer Motorhome 3 years ago

The 2 that we stopped at were 25 pounds per night

In France at the time it was 9 pounds

The site in Mestra was fab and I would go there again any time

The Italian drivers are all mad and love to travel only 6 inches behind you (There just being friendly)

I drove from Monaco along the coast road which was great I have never been through so many tunnels and over so many VERY HIGH bridges

Then we got onto the main route down to Mestra (cant remember the rd no)

And we passed a line of trucks that was miles long I have never seen so many lorries in one place

On the return trip we took the tunnel at Turin back into France and made the mistake of going through with the trucks

It cost 50 euros and all the diesel fumes smoked us out

Find out when the cars go through as I think it is very much cheaper

The toll on the motorways were no where near as bad as I thought they were going to be

Andy

Posted

According to their web site the Frejus tunnel is €44.00 single journey for class 2 vehicles (which includes car/caravans under 3 metres high) and the tunnel is closed to HGVs every Sunday and most bank holidays. See http://www.tunneldufrejus.com/ there are English pages.

Posted

According to their web site the Frejus tunnel is €44.00 single journey for class 2 vehicles (which includes car/caravans under 3 metres high) and the tunnel is closed to HGVs every Sunday and most bank holidays. See http://www.tunneldufrejus.com/ there are English pages.

Posted

Ted

When I was asking about crossing into Italy from France I was initially thinking of the Frejus Tunnel but it was suggested that I might try the Mont du Cenis Pass which is a little further past the Frejust Tunnel. We might spend a few days in that area so that we can have a look and save €44!

David

Posted

Sounds like a good idea - I can think of better things to spend €44.00 on :thumbsup:

Posted

Anyone know what months the pass is closed?

Posted

Anyone know what months the pass is closed?

Posted

November to mid-May but may be later this year with the snow conditions at present. Link here Mont Cenis shows if pass is open and here Mont Cenis route info for information.

Posted

That is what I thought - so it will be the tunnel for us.

David - I think the reason so many passes are no longer kept clear is because there are now many tunnels - forces you to pay for their upkeep!

Posted

Only ever done one alpine pass & that was the STELVIO in 2006 on a motorbike, saw a pic of it years ago on the back of motorcycle news it was one of those " I have to do that " things ........very scary :fear: & def NOT for caravans :no:

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/08/07/stelvi...-hairpin-turns/

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By tangotonyb · Posted
      OK thanks - I'll try that and see if it's anywhere near the 1050cm I believe it to be based on the caravan size (assuming that THAT's correct lol). 

• Sizing an awning
      By Ocsid · Posted
      Quite right, the beading length is not the one dictating the size.  The "A" dimension is from the ground back to the ground on the opposite side. As the awning's sides themselves don't quite  touch the ground, but stand about 5 cm above it, I would measure it along the van face edge as follows. From the lowest corner of the LH side panel right round along the beading to the lowest corner of the RH side panel,. Then to this add 10 cm for the "ground standoff" 5 cm each side to get the "A" size.   [Practically It could be easier to measure to a centre seam if that is a feature of the awning, and double that plus adding on that 10 cm.]
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts