Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No One Goes That Far Obviously!

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Obviously my post for info on the Vieste region of Italy drew a blank.Not to worry though folks,have done more research on tinternet and have come up with lots of stunning places to stay at.Its just a matter of chosing-difficult.Had I bothered to look closer,the route down there is fairly straightforward,and with the Italian Greenstop24 network there is no shortage of places to stop over to break the journey up.Should have realised also that being old farts and retired,we have time a plenty for this trip-apologies for missing that one out! :drive:

Posted

Obviously my post for info on the Vieste region of Italy drew a blank.Not to worry though folks,have done more research on tinternet and have come up with lots of stunning places to stay at.Its just a matter of chosing-difficult.Had I bothered to look closer,the route down there is fairly straightforward,and with the Italian Greenstop24 network there is no shortage of places to stop over to break the journey up.Should have realised also that being old farts and retired,we have time a plenty for this trip-apologies for missing that one out! :drive:

Posted

.....,and with the Italian Greenstop24 network there is no shortage of places to stop over to break the journey up. Should have realised also that being old farts and retired,we have time a plenty for this trip......

Posted

Barry

I think the problem is that Italy is still something of a minority sport! We have been a couple of times but don't have anywhere near the knowledge of it as say France or Germany. All being well we hope to return to Italy next year but are likely to stay north of Florence and visit mainly the northern lakes with perhaps a return visit to Venice. We look forward to your report when you get back :thumbsup:

By the way what are Italian Greenstop24?

David

Posted

Hi Daydreamer.................great minds think alike, so they say.

We are also "retired old farts" and having been round the northern half of Italy several times (son married a lass from Verona) we are now wanting to explore south of the "Firenze gap".

So...............we also just bought the book of Greenstop24. It looks really good, and obviously very much oriented towards motorhomers but caravanners can make good use of those farms etc too, especially for a 'touring/moving' holiday. It's a great idea, and our Italian daughter-in-law didn't know of it either.

...................we're still planning.

:thumbsup:

Posted

That's great Barry.

Thanks a lot.

Posted

We have looked at Vieste on several occasions but as yet, our other choices of areas for our annual holiday round Italy have not allowed us to venture there.

Our choice of site would have been Punta Laguna. It is part of the Magic Italy collection of campsites (Miramare at Venice is one). Stay on the first one and ask for a discount card. You will get 10% off the next site.

We have stayed on many of these sites and have never stayed on a bad one yet.

As David says, move out of the North and very few Brits venture t there. Three weeks of this years holiday were Brit Free.

Posted

The full URL for Greenstop is: http://www.greenstop24.it/INGLESE/INDEX_IN_INGLESE.htm

Wish I could continue going to Italy but my health does not allow it!

Posted

Sorry to hear that Gordon,sincereley hope your health does not preclude you from visits overseas nearer to home.Must admit that our galivanting days are certainly numbered for similar reasons so we hope this year is 'one more time for luck'.

Take care of yopurself Gordon.

Posted

We caravanned in Italy in the 70's - down to southern Tuscany but I assumed that my knowledge would be rather out of date now. Will always remember going into a restaurant in Marina del Castagnetto and paying 11,000 lira for the meal but 13,000 lira to hire the plates, cutlery even the bottle the wine came in - early VAT scam!!!!

Posted

My one and only trip into Italy was to Venice

Found a site in Mestre just 5 minuets away from the bridge onto the island (by bus)

Totally fantastic time

Site was a tad expensive I was paying around 8to 10 pounds a night on the way through France but the site in Venice was 25 quid a night

Still it was well worth it

If you happen to go there

Buy an all day ticket for the NO 1 water bus (vaporetti) and you get to go up and down the Grand Canal all day for

(At the time 3 years ago) 9 Euros

And the last bit of advice I have regarding Italy

If you are traveling from Italy via Turin and into France via the frejus tunnel

Check before hand when the cars can go through and when the trucks can go

I did not do this and went through with the trucks It cost me 36 pounds with a Hymer Motor home (ouch)

Saved waiting with all the hundreds of cars in a queue a mile long

Andy

Posted

My one and only trip into Italy was to Venice

Found a site in Mestre just 5 minuets away from the bridge onto the island (by bus)

Totally fantastic time

Site was a tad expensive I was paying around 8to 10 pounds a night on the way through France but the site in Venice was 25 quid a night

Still it was well worth it

If you happen to go there

Buy an all day ticket for the NO 1 water bus (vaporetti) and you get to go up and down the Grand Canal all day for

(At the time 3 years ago) 9 Euros

And the last bit of advice I have regarding Italy

If you are traveling from Italy via Turin and into France via the frejus tunnel

Check before hand when the cars can go through and when the trucks can go

I did not do this and went through with the trucks It cost me 36 pounds with a Hymer Motor home (ouch)

Saved waiting with all the hundreds of cars in a queue a mile long

Andy

Posted

This is the camp site I used on my trip to Venice

Should any one want to go there

WWW.campingrialto.com

And one next door

Campeggio rialto Via Orlanda Mestra Venezia

WWW.veneziavillage.it

The campsites are only a few hundred meters apart

Both of these campsites are just 7 km's from Venice

It was a short walk to the bus stop 200 mtrs.

A bus rides into the center 10 mins max, and then on to the waterbus round the Grand Canal

The site was well kept and clean.

Shower blocks were old but in good order

Food on site was very good

Staff were fab

Pitches were quite large and under trees

Shop on site was well stocked with most things you may require

A little on the pricey side at 25 euros a night.

But you try to find a place to stay near Venice for that price

Over all I rated this site as a 7 out of 10

Posted

We have been twice to Italy, 1982 and 2003, both times all the way to Bari and Taranto.

You don't see many British vans down there!

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard