Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TV Aerial

Question

Posted

Afternoon all, just been away for a long weekend and the TV reception was poor, so, i was wondering how i could improve recption.

I currently have the 'status' aerial and usually the reception is 'fair' but it could be better.

Here's what i have been considering:

A mast with an aerial ( the type on your house ), i think its called a yagi, attached to the A frame.

Has anyone done this?

if so......

how tall is the mast?

home made mast?

And is it an improvement??

thanks

steve

17 answers to this question

Posted

Hi Steve, Hope you all had a good weekend.

We have a status..... it is rubbish. The problem with them is they are Omnidirectional... that is they pull in signals from all round. You get two or three signals trying to be decoded in your set and you get a lot of ghosting.

we spent approx ? 50 on a undirectional ariel. It has three section poe and a clamp for the awning rail along with a fixture for the side of the'van. The ariel, a fancy Yagi, can be turned through 90 deg. for correct polarisation of the local signal.

The result is amazing in most cases, we seldom need the amplifier.

www.bbc.co.uk/reception/tv_transmitters/tv_transmitters.html

You will find local information at the above web site.

Dave.

Posted

Steve we have the standard roof mounted status which provides a reasonable reception most of the time. However for the locations where the reception is poor we have a vision plus image 530 which we mount on to 4 section mast and using a sun brolley screw in base we site it where it gives us the best reception. we did try using the A frame for mounting the mast but sound it restrictive and also a hasle for the supporting guy ropes. As an added insurance we have a 12v vision plus booster which we use in conjunction with the external arial (not with the status). With this set up the only place where we were unable to get a reception was at the CC site at Scarborough which is is a dissused quary.

Posted

Thanks for the replies,

i think i'll look at prices for the bits and bobs!!

steve

Posted

I too think the Status aerial is -- not what it is made out to be ? politely speaking. :rant:

The only trouble is that it came fitted to the van at new. (I will ask on the next van not to have it) :yes:

We have found it to be particularly useless in most parts of the country even when switched to boost!! :rant:

What we have done now is to take the laptop computer away with us and a TV card (from Dixons) which allows us to pick up the digital signals using a dish type aerial.(also from Dixons) we have no poles or outside bits just this saucer thing that stands in the front window. The advantage is that we can watch DVD?s as well.

:whistler:

If it dont work -- well we all play UNO !! :lol:

The lap top takes up no room and sits in the car when travelling so we can use a mapping programme (AutoRoute) and write up our journal. :drive:

Posted

Status omnidirectional aerials must be about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike......

Posted

Never bothered with the Status Omnidirectional types as they are generally considered c**p.

I use a small Maxview directional aerial, or a domestic 12? element aerial from Wickes (?9.00) on a visionplus pole mounted to the ladder of the Hobby. see below:

Caravanstore1.sized.jpg

Reception is fine.

Posted

Doc

Do you think the Vision Plus "fishscale" aerial is going to get any appreciably better results than a cheapo domestic aerial from the local DIY place? The reason I ask is I was thinking about popping out sometime soon and getting one of these from the local caravan dealership but if you find an ordinary aerial on a pole is just as good I can save myself a bit of cash.

Posted

thanks all.

?9.00 from wickes, sounds good.

just a some co-ax cable and a mast.

plus, how to fix to van?

attached to A-frame or the awning channel?

good pic of the aerial attached to the 'van....

cheers

steve

Posted

Ron

I think I've metioned this to you before.

Have a look at highbridge caravans. they do all types of aerials, inc. all those mentioned in this thread.

Posted

Don't take a TV, but the Status always works picks up Wogan, Walker, Harding & Harris okay

Posted

dont forget long & lester best time of the day

Posted

thanks all.

?9.00 from wickes, sounds good.

just a some co-ax cable and a mast.

plus, how to fix to van?

attached to A-frame or the awning channel?

good pic of the aerial attached to the 'van....

cheers

steve

Posted

B-R, If you mean the very high gain aerials that have ~18 elements and look like a fish's backbone, then they do help in poor reception areas, provided you point them in the correct direction for each transmitter. I have one in the loft (~?20) from Wickes, but it is VERY cumbersome and would need dismantling for travelling; a complete PITA.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an aerial with more than ~12 elements (stick-out bits) as it would be a nuisance to store anywhere. And I wouldn't buy from a caravan place as you just pay more for basically the same thing from a DIY store.

The Vision Plus pole and mounting system is quite versatile. You can get various types of clamp and they usually come with a plastic bracket to screw onto the side of the 'van, to which the clamp fits.

I didn't want to screw anything onto the side of the 'van because of warranty considerations, hence I bought two, optional, jaw type clamps, which clamp onto the rungs of the Hobby ladder.

On the old 'van I used clamps which hooked onto the awning rail and the lower clamp hooked onto the side rail, which ran along the length of the 'van, and which carried the window hinges. Modern 'vans may not have this rail though.

Posted

Thanks Doc. I need to get a standard aerial anyway to connect to my daughter's digibox so I might see how it works with the caravan.

Will probably get one of the A-Frame masts to attach it to.

BTW found this on the BBC website. Doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know but it might be useful for someone else.

Posted

Is anyone using the Status aerial with an LCD tv, I would be interested to know what the picture quality is like as I'm waiting delivery of such a tv.

Posted

Hello Jim.

I get an excellent picture on our LCD TV, using the Status ariel in the van. Of course, it depends where we are & how strong the signal is.

The picture used to be lousy everywhere, until I took someone's advice & re-did all the connections, which improved things enormously. :yes:

Posted

Tony, what exactly were you looking for when you redid the connections,are you saying some of these are actually not made up by whoever assembles them initially.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By tangotonyb · Posted
      OK thanks - I'll try that and see if it's anywhere near the 1050cm I believe it to be based on the caravan size (assuming that THAT's correct lol). 

• Sizing an awning
      By Ocsid · Posted
      Quite right, the beading length is not the one dictating the size.  The "A" dimension is from the ground back to the ground on the opposite side. As the awning's sides themselves don't quite  touch the ground, but stand about 5 cm above it, I would measure it along the van face edge as follows. From the lowest corner of the LH side panel right round along the beading to the lowest corner of the RH side panel,. Then to this add 10 cm for the "ground standoff" 5 cm each side to get the "A" size.   [Practically It could be easier to measure to a centre seam if that is a feature of the awning, and double that plus adding on that 10 cm.]
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts