Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awning rail

Question

Posted

:plane: Help

I bought the white rubber to replace the old on the awning rail of my 1993 swift challenger 440se. Please could you tell me where i could get a tool or advice to help me fit the new rubber, it has just taken me 1.5 hours with a screw driver to do about 2 metres.

I would also like to purchase the challenger and 440se stickers but have been told swift no longer sell them? has anyone got any ideas?

Last thing is I also need the rubber for the waste rail and my local caravan dealer is also struggling to find this(It is white in colour).

Thanks in advance

Iain

10 answers to this question

Posted

Can't help with the rubbers - but any good sign making company should be able to reproduce the graphics for you.

Just take a couple of colour photos along with the dimension of the items you need.

Posted

Hi Iain, Take the new insert immerse it in a bucket of hot water, this will soften it,

we always used to use a smaal paint scraper to insert the insert, when it warmed through take one end, get it started in the rail and fasten it. Pul the insert to stretch it slightly, place the edge of the knife in the rail over the insert you should able to run the knife and insert together with a bit of practise, when you get to the end don't trim until the insert has cooled to let it retract, then trim and fasten!!

Posted

Hi Iain

What year is your Challenger? Let me know and I'll have a look for you, should be available. :book:

The hot water tip for the insert is really the best option - works a treat! :smoke:

FD

Posted

Iain

Swift group do list the badges as no longer being available. I will take a look in our stores as I'm sure I've seen some spare badges. The white waistband insert is almost certainly available, should know by the end of the week.

FD

Posted

Metz's technique is what I've done especially:

when you get to the end don't trim until the insert has cooled to let it retract, then trim and fasten!!

Posted

Leave an excess length dangling out of the end for as long as you can. Over time the original insert on one side had shrunk by 6". Yes girls, that amount does matter!! 

Posted

Well that has put a smile on my face this morning....

Thank you Doc ::D:::D:::D:::D:::D:

Posted

Neils advice regarding new graphics is the cheapest way to replace them, we replaced all ours for ?50!!, mind you getting the old ones off is no easy matter. As for the awning rail insert, warming it is the only way to get it in, so best leave it for a hot day and use a hair dryer to assist if required. As regards a tool if you use anything metal be careful not to slip, better to use something plastic. I might point out there are one or two different widths and sections and if wrong are the devils own job to fit whatever the temperature. :plane:

Posted

Iain

I've looked in the stores and I have most model number badges (400 / 640 / 520 etc) - but not 440!

I do have a used 'Swift' badge and a new 'SE' badge both of the original design in 1993.

The waistband insert is available although has a white/green tint. This confued me slightly and so have asked Swift to e-mail me a picture to see what they mean! - When I get the picture I will e-mail it to you so you can check it's correct.

I'm off to NEC tomorrow so will not be picking up my e-mails for a week, so should know when I get back.

FD

Posted

Have a good Show FD. Hope you get plenty of sales :thumbsup:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard