Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electrics change in the future!

Question

Posted

Just came across this little beauty in my inbox

Pageant Series 7 'takes the lead' with 13 pin conversion

In line with new European legislation all new caravans manufactured after 1st September 2008 must be fitted with a new 13 pin connection cable. This will replace the current 12n + 12s system and will mean that the UK will now fall into line with the rest of mainland Europe.

Bailey will be 'taking the lead' in this regard by fitting the new 13 pin connection cable as standard on its new Pageant Series 7 range. This change will subsequently be applied to all units, in all ranges, manufactured after the 1st September 2008.

For those customers who wish to continue to use the existing system Bailey will be producing a 12n + 12s replacement cable. This item can be installed by your supplying retailer instead of the standard 13 pin cable, thus avoiding the need for unsightly adaptors and extension leads, at a cost of ?49.95 including fitment.

Can of worms comes to mind :wall2:

43 answers to this question

Posted

I am sure that when we went to the Swift Factory - the MD - Peter - said that all the Swift vans would have the "new" 13 pin system fitted from the 2008/09 range -- starting in September this year..2008 --- some even earlier -- which they have done..

There was a poll conducted by Swift among caravan owners - last year to see which of the two types of plug system would be used and this was carried forward to the Manufactures association 22nd November last year when it was decided the type of system.

13 PIN SOCKET Choice

Sep 26 2007

I would like to ask for some help on a proposed change from the current 12N & 12S car/caravan connectors to a new 13 pin plug which is being proposed for the caravan and trailer industry. The current 12N & 12S plugs which are being made obsolete next year. Unfortunately nothing is ever straight forward and there are two alternative 13 pin plugs commercially available. The two alternatives are MULTICON WEST or the ISO PLUG both are 13 pin plugs with the same configuration. The main difference are;

The ISO connector is widely available in the UK and offered by VW, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Chrysler. The plug and socket have a twist-n-lock mechanism which ensures correct connection and a water tight seal which in theory should not disconnect inadvertently. This all sounds positive but there is a potential issue here, if the customer accidentally sets off without disconnecting the plug there is a risk this can pull the caravan and/or rip wiring out of the plug or the car rendering it immobile. There is a reported case of this happening and severely damaging a Mercedes wiring harness. The breaking strain of the plug varies from 25 to 80kg. Also if a customer has a garden trailer he cant use his current 12N plug without an adaptor lead.

The Multicon West connector has 13 pins which incorporate the 12N connector surrounded by an additional 6 pins. These plugs and sockets are not so widely available in the UK (currently) but are being offered by (Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat). The West connector pushes in similar to the 12N and 12S, it isn't as water tight a connection but will separate easily if the customer accidentally sets off without disconnecting the plug (without immobilising the outfit). One big benefit of this plug is it can fit to a conventional 12N plug or a West plug so the tow vehicle can connect to either a 12N or West connector.

Ideally we would like one connector, the question is which one?

Thanks,

Andy Spacey

Design and Development Director - Swift Group

Posted

Surely it is going to lead to lots of complications :no:

Why do we constantly have to be forced to take the European way :wall2:

Posted

It may seem like we're being pushed into this because of the EU, but the simple fact is that the European system is better. :yes: One plug is neater, quicker to connect and (most importantly) is streets ahead of the archaic 13-pin arrangement.

It's really quite easy to change the car over to 13-pin, I believe.

?49.95 to have the new Pageant reverted to the old-type connection sounds like good value, but if all the other manufacturers are going over to the ISO arrangement, then that might cause a problem come part-exchange time. :unsure:

Posted

I think that the general problem with the delay was getting the single 13 core cable -- manufactured to the correct dimensions that would

A - have enough cores of the right sizes

B - have the external dimensions that would fit the new plug.

It has been difficult to source this cable as it is a "bespoke" cable.. the industry some time ago agreed to a standard 13 core cable [8x 1.5mm & 5x 2.5mm with single filler]

Presumably this has now been acquired by the industry.. But I have not been able to find any retail outlet that can supply the cable of the correct dimensions -- so personal retro fitting --I think is going to be difficult.

I do believe that Sargent Electrical Services are going to make available KITS for retro fitting which have sockets pre wired with a length of the correct size cable attached.

Have a look at this for the conections

Maurice

Posted

As Maurice says the discussion has been going on for a long while and I can confirm that in my opinion (having used both) the 13 pin system is better as it offers more security to the attachment as well as the electrical connections it also looks neater.

Posted

Just came across this little beauty in my inbox

Can of worms comes to mind :wall2:

Posted

Correct 13 core cable can be obtained here:

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/html/cable_shop.html

Posted

Also in Europe -- or by mail from here

Top accessories - France

C?ble 9x1.5 + 4x2.5 mm? ML

If you want to do it when on Holiday !!!!

Posted

Also in Europe -- or by mail from here

Top accessories - France

C?ble 9x1.5 + 4x2.5 mm? ML

If you want to do it when on Holiday !!!!

Posted

That's not full standard !!

5x 2.5mm2 cables are needed - for fridge + return, live supply + return and road lighting return.

Posted

[i tried to check the spec at the Sergent site --but it didn't come up with a spec..

Posted

Can Bailey be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act for issuing incorrect and misleading press releases?

Pageant Series 7 isn't taking any lead, the Xplore brand is already on sale with 13-pin electrics. I think one of the Swift brands also has 13-pin already and they're intending ALL their brands to have it by 1st September 2008.

It's not due to EC regulations - it's a NCC (UK trade body) initiative.

Posted

Posted

13 core euro cable and the 13 pin plug can be purchased HERE

there is also a link to the wiring diagram there too :thumbsup: and very fast delivery i have used them before.

Posted

there is also a link to the wiring diagram there too :thumbsup: and very fast delivery i have used them before.

Posted

Posted

Hi

Having puchased and used some I can confirm the 13 core cable from Sargents has the correct number and size of cores AND the colour coding is identical to wiring diagrams supplied with the plugs.

Lunar

Posted

13 core cable ?6.50 a meter !!!!

I was thinking of changing mine but what a rip off.

New information.

?2.30 inc VAT at Towsure. Still expensive but much better.

Posted

13 core cable ?6.50 a meter !!!!

I was thinking of changing mine but what a rip off.

New information.

?2.30 inc VAT at Towsure. Still expensive but much better.

Posted

I've changed mine to 13 pin, I wouldn't go back to the old system ever, the 13 pin is much more secure when in place and has stainless steel pins and sockets therefore less corrosion to cause problems.

Posted

If you tow a simple trailer using a 13 pin plug you will not use all the wires, only those necessary for the road lights.

Can you buy a cable for simple trailers with only the wires for this situation?

Posted

Yes, the 12N cable is the cable just for road lights.

Posted

Yes, the 12N cable is the cable just for road lights.

Posted

just change the new 13 pin caravan plug over to the previous 12N and 12S plugs,

it's a lot cheaper that way :jump:

Posted

I've found that with the 13 pin system it works every time without fail. When I had the 12N/S I was always faffing about having one intermittent problem or another which always delayed me setting off as I couldn't test it until I got the van out. They're outdated now and it's not before time caravan manufacturers started fitting the 13 pin plugs. Slightly off topic but it's also about time car manufacturers stopped using the oudated 12 volt electrics and went over to 48 volts which was being mooted a few years ago by BMW.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts