Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

External leak from Carver Cascade 2...any ideas where to start?

Question

Posted

Hi all,

Could you give me some advice regarding my Carver Cascade 2 GE water heater.

Was using it this weekend and noticed water leaking from the lower edge of the outside cowling, sometimes quite fast then sometimes slow and others not at all. The main drain bung was dry and water not appearing from there. There was no problems with the heating of the water, this worked fine. The inside of the van around the heater aperture was dry. Was on electric use not gas. Is this a seal gone? any help you can give would be a great help before the next trip out !! Many thanks, Richard.

8 answers to this question

Posted

Hi all,

Could you give me some advice regarding my Carver Cascade 2 GE water heater.

Was using it this weekend and noticed water leaking from the lower edge of the outside cowling, sometimes quite fast then sometimes slow and others not at all. The main drain bung was dry and water not appearing from there. There was no problems with the heating of the water, this worked fine. The inside of the van around the heater aperture was dry. Was on electric use not gas. Is this a seal gone? any help you can give would be a great help before the next trip out !! Many thanks, Richard.

Posted

Hi is that the one with the cylindrical filter? If so take the filter out and check the seal and look at the housing for cracks due to overtighening,

Regards,

Ian.

Posted

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. I didn't know there was a filter in the Carver water heater, is this accesable from the outside or inside?

Thanks, Richard.

Posted

usual cause for leak to the outside is the drain plug seal perished, but if you say its not from there, it will be either the fast drain valve at the top of the tank or the fuseable plug in the middle. both are accessable by taking the cowel off by removing the 4 screws in the corners. but in my experience out of the 2 it would be the fast drain. try using a flat bladed screwdriver to turn the valve to try and re-seat it. dont worry its not a screw thread, its more like an excentric cam so every 180 degrees it opens then closes. if it doesnt re-seat you could fit a new 1 for approx ?10.

im sure gary will be along soon if i have missed anything :yes:

Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply

Been out and had the cowl off and bingo the water is seeping from where the fast drain valve sits into the meatl heater body, is this a push or screw fit, I tried to tweak it up a bit but no joy. Does the fast drain come as a whole unit to go direct into the heater body or are there separate parts?

I turned the fast drain cam and this seemed to seal ok after a spurt of water came out, so I'm guessing it must be the joint of the plastic valve body to the metal heater body. Thanks for your help and any ideas on where I can get one.

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard.

Posted

:wine:

Be VERY careful !

It sounds like the fast drain valve is about to break off - if it does DO NOT attempt to remove the remainder with a screw extractor as this is likely to damage the heater body which will be very expensive. I'm no expert but mine suffered from this on a T&T rally some years ago - fortunately a very nice man parked next to me not only had the spare part but actually removed the broken piece and fitted the new one.

PM Gary with the details and he'll see you right (He's a VERY nice man !)

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

Posted

if the fast drain is not too old and perished it should be very easy to remove with the correct size deep reach socket and the part is still available from any decent caravan dealer parts or service department. if it is old it may break as mentioned above. it all depends on your ability but if it brakes it could be removed with a bolt extractor, if this doesnt clear it then a bit of gentle heat on the remainder of the parts will loosen it up and finish off with a thread file. if you are unsure at all, get a proffessional to look at it for you.

Posted

If the QDV body is leaking from it's base where it screws in? then it will snap off the moment you try and unscrew it, you must then NOT use a stud extractor to remove the remnants :no::fear:

I supply just the body for the valve as the internals will be ok, also though, if you get the part from me you get a help sheet to explain in pictures how to do the job safely :yes:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By tangotonyb · Posted
      OK thanks - I'll try that and see if it's anywhere near the 1050cm I believe it to be based on the caravan size (assuming that THAT's correct lol). 

• Sizing an awning
      By Ocsid · Posted
      Quite right, the beading length is not the one dictating the size.  The "A" dimension is from the ground back to the ground on the opposite side. As the awning's sides themselves don't quite  touch the ground, but stand about 5 cm above it, I would measure it along the van face edge as follows. From the lowest corner of the LH side panel right round along the beading to the lowest corner of the RH side panel,. Then to this add 10 cm for the "ground standoff" 5 cm each side to get the "A" size.   [Practically It could be easier to measure to a centre seam if that is a feature of the awning, and double that plus adding on that 10 cm.]
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts