Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be worried?

Question

Posted

Hi,

I bought a new Avondale Rialto 550 last October / November time and am quite happy with it or at least I was!! To cut a long story short there are two major problems with it:

1. The entire rear outside panel has to be replaced as it is cracking around the edges where it has been screwed to whatever framework exists under the awning channel. There are about seven cracks on each side. No evidence of water ingress yet.

2. There is a significant amount of damp inside beneath a vertical side window in the lounge. Apparently a faulty rubber seal is to blame.

Now all this (and a few other minor items) are to be put right at the end of next month when all the parts arrive. It is all warranty work so no cost to me. However, should I be happy that it has been found early before major damage appears or should I be annoyed that it has gone wrong at all (Iam certainly more inclined to the latter view but take some consolation from the former!!)?

If you were me would you keep it or sell it!

12 answers to this question

Posted

Hi Borofan,

Really sorry to hear the news about your Avondale. That must be a sickener.

Of course to keep or not to keep, that is a decision only you can make.

We bought an Ace Jubilee Statesman in June 2003. After one weekend and part of two weeks away we decided it had to go. I am still not convinced I wasn't sold a demonstrator as the damage, in bits and pieces, was all adding up to it. The dealer said, "we have the right to put it right." They couldnt even get the paint the right shade and the inside of the van was a disgrace both times it was returned to us and

that is only part of the story. The shower tray was replaced and when we collected it they hadn't put the waste pipe back on to the new tray.

My point that you might consider is this:

We bought a new Bailey Pageant Vendee on 5th November 2003. So last year we had two new caravans. It cost ?4,000 to change caravans, in large part due to VAT I am told. If you can live with the caravan for a yeaar or two and then sell it with warranty still left, it may be more economical. At least you will get some value from the Avondale before you change it. I now have a new Caravan and a P reg Passat I can't afford to change for another two years.

Dave

Posted

Hi borofan,

Very sorry to hear of your 'far too common' plight. You must be really p***ed off.

Personally, (borne of similar past experiences) I would do my damndest to get rid of it.

Do you want a caravan to go touring in, or to spend weeks sitting at the dealers getting it repaired? Can you trust it to be fully sorted and to be trouble free for the next 3-5yrs? I suggest not.

Your 'van is barely 3 months old. I would seek some legal consumer advice and reject it on the grounds that it is 'unfit for its purpose'.

Go through the dealer in the first instance, and then perhaps Avondale. See if you can enlist the help of the CC or 'Which' Personal Service if you are in it. If necessary, threaten them with publicity, BBC Watchdog, Radio progs. etc etc.

It is time, IMHO, that the CC took on manufacturers in instances such as this, on behalf of their paying membership, instead of being beholden to them because of advertising revenue.

You could always do what a neighbour did with his useless double glazed windows.

He put a BIG notice on them detailing the company and the problems with the windows, so all passers-by could see. The co. got VERY agitated and eventually sorted it out.

If you are getting it on a credit card, or similar loan co. get them to sort it out. One of the big advantages in buying on such credit.

Posted

:drive: Borofan, sorry to hear about your troubled caravan I agree with the other two posters and also the point that Doc makes about the CC getting involved in this type of case I agree 100%, then I might even join the CC if I thought they got involved with the real needs of their members :thumbsup:

Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the input so far! Just to correct one mistake I made in the original message -- I bought the van in 2002 and not 2003 as I implied! Senility rules!!

Boro Fan

Posted

sorry to hear about your plight borofan .

it sad to hear about another shoddy workmanship when you pay so much money.I hope the dearler will sort all the concern to your satisfaction, if not then you have recourse to take any legal action that you deem necessary.

personnaly I will sell the van as it won't be the same.

Posted

We had a similar problem with our then dream van an ABI Northstar.

From when we picked it up things were falling off - handles - seals and hinges, but as it was just what we wanted tended to put up with it and called them "teething troubles" They were always corrected very quickly but just meant a trip to the dealer which a bit annoying as it was not a local dealer.

The crunch came when it went in for its first service and they found that all along the left hand side of the roof we had "the dreaded damp!!!" This was all put right and we had the van back in time for our first outing at Spring Bank - it was with them for 6 weeks!!

Anyway this little apple of our eye was tainted and we were so fed up that we sold it as soon as we came back off holiday and bought wait for it....................A BAILEY.

We had this for 2 years and changed it for the one we have now Swift charisma. So far so good.

Hope it gets sorted quickly for you it is very disheartning to say the least. Keep us informed as you go along, it may help someone in a similar situation.

Posted

I would feel pretty angry if this happened to us. If you contact the CC club you will be able to speak to someone who can advise on this matter.....We have used them twice for advice over the past two years, they may be able to point you in the right direction. I would be looking at some sort of compensation for loss of use and inconvenience to you. After all you are going to lose out on this if you decide to change it........Personally I would be looking to get rid of any van that had or has damp in it, it would not be the same again....Hope you can get it sorted pretty quickly........Mick

Posted

:drive: Borofan, if and when you want to get rid of the caravan I have a contact number of a guy who buys problem caravans what a dealer might not want to touch :thumbsup:

Posted

I would be decidedly unhappy and having just bought a new van myself and now unable to change again for some years now, I would be heartbroken.

Surely you have the right to make the manufacturers life HELL (appear at the next show, with pictures if you have them) or threaten too!!

Also you are suffering for loss of use through no fault of your own and should be compensated for loss of use.

Its a tricky one as you might demoralize yourself into giving up to easily.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Posted

I am sick of reading how people are spending around say 12K on a new caravan, have damp problems with it so sell it on because it is tainted.

I can well understand why anyone would want to do this and I think I'd do the same relunctantly. BUT its not until us lot start standing up for ourselves and digging our heels in and betraying our genteel image, that anyone; dealer or manufacturer will sit up and take notice.

There can be hardly any other product that costs so much money that is so hit and miss in quality and where dissatisfied buyers roll over so easily. Why are we the customers standing for this :rant:

Posted

There can be hardly any other product that costs so much money that is so hit and miss in quality and where dissatisfied buyers roll over so easily. Why are we the customers standing for this

Posted

Thanks everyone. Would anyone mind if I copied this correspondence (I can always remove names etc of contributors) to the Caravan Club, Camping Club and even a magazine or two?

Regards,

Boro Fan

Life seems better since we won through to Cardiff last night!!!

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard