Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AL-Ko noseweight Jockey Wheel

Question

Posted

Anyone had any experience with the Al-Ko jockey wheel with the built in noseweight gauge?

My jockey wheel on the Charisma is a "centre mounted" type. How easy would it be to replace the current unit?

Cheers

Keith

35 answers to this question

Posted

Hi Keith

Its a doddle! Needed a jack (I used a trolley jack) to get the A Frame up enough to get the old jockey wheel out and the new one in. Must confess i still havent got round to calibrating mine but the large wheel with its suspension makes it an ideal companion for a motor mover.

Regards

NRF

Posted

We have one of these and it's a doddle to replace.

Simply wind the old jockey to raise the nose as high as possible. Then put down the front corner steadies. Wind the jockey back up to a fully retracted position. Undo the jockey clamp a bit and the old jockey slides out. Take off the quick release winding handle from the new jockey wheel. Slide it into position and clamp it. Put the wind up handle back on, wind up the new jockey and get the corner steadies back up.

Now because the noseweight measurement is taken about 350mm from the actual nose itself, there is a bit of measuring and the calculation equation to work out, to get the correct result for your particular caravan model.

However, I can short cut this now because I know that if my gauge reads 110 kgs., on my Swift Fairway 540 (2007 Swift Charisma 555 derivative dealer special) then my noseweight is actually spot on a 100 kgs., which is what mine should be. This makes loading a doddle, as the noseweight can be seen at a glance, every time you load up.

Remember that because of the built in jockey wheel noseweight gauge being positioned before the actual hitch nose, the gauge will always indicate a heavier noseweight than the noseweight actually is.

......and yes, the wheel itself does work very well indeed with the motor mover, by the way.

I reckon this is one of the best accessories I have bought.

Posted

Thks for those replies.

I was contemplating the change for the benefit of using it with the mover as well as the built in gauge, glad to hear it reacts well with the mover.

Any idea what the percentage accuracy is?

Cheers

Keith

Posted

where can you get them from??

Cant see them on the al-ko web site..

Al-Ko Jockey wheels

Posted

I've no idea of the actual accuracy of the device itself. I've not got anything to calibrate it to or compare it with so I assume that the thing is accurate. When quizzed at the NEC show in Feb 2007, before I bought mine, AL-KO told me it was indeed quite accurate. That'll do for me. It's as good as it gets and much better than faffing about with bathroom scales or what have you! :thumbsup:

Posted

where can you get them from??

Posted

Remember that because of the built in jockey wheel noseweight gauge being positioned before the actual hitch nose, the gauge will always indicate a heavier noseweight than the noseweight actually is.

Posted

No Lenny. Well not according to Isaac Newton anyway. :laugh:

SEE HERE

Posted

We have been looking at this again -- and thing it "might do" but then looking at the picture

-- how do you get it into the mounting bracket if the bracket is inside the "A" frame..?

It also says "detachable wheel"

Does this mean that you have to take the wheel off to get it under the A frame and to miss the brake mechanisms?

[i see the price is now £76.74]

Has any one got one

Maurice

Posted

No Lenny. Well not according to Isaac Newton anyway. :laugh:

SEE HERE

Posted

Lenny, it's Isaac you need to argue with. Not me! :thumbsup:

Posted

I thought foreign vans had lower nose weights because of the long A frame?

so weight is lower the further up the A Frame away from the van?

so does that Make Lenny or Laurie right? :stars:

Posted

We have been looking at this again -- and thing it "might do" but then looking at the picture

-- how do you get it into the mounting bracket if the bracket is inside the "A" frame..?

It also says "detachable wheel"

Does this mean that you have to take the wheel off to get it under the A frame and to miss the brake mechanisms?

[i see the price is now £76.74]

Has any one got one

Maurice

Posted

I thought foreign vans had lower nose weights because of the long A frame?

so weight is lower the further up the A Frame away from the van?

so does that Make Lenny or Laurie right? :stars:

Posted

But were not talking about lifting, we are talking about downward pressure.

If you cant remove a wheelnut cuz its too tight, you put an extension bar on and the extra length gives more downward force, agreed?

So if the downward force at your jockey wheel is xxx kgs, then further away will be exerting a little more downward pressure, xxx kgs plus a bit more.

So if the wheel reads 110, your probably closer to 120 at hitch head.

Posted

But were not talking about lifting, we are talking about downward pressure.

If you cant remove a wheelnut cuz its too tight, you put an extension bar on and the extra length gives more downward force, agreed?

So if the downward force at your jockey wheel is xxx kgs, then further away will be exerting a little more downward pressure, xxx kgs plus a bit more.

So if the wheel reads 110, your probably closer to 120 at hitch head.

Posted

it's a one hand lift. Well, it isn't.

Posted

I give up now - can't be arsed. Please refer to Newton for further study. :lost2:

Posted

YES IT IS!!!!!

Posted

Sorry Lenny but you are wrong on this one (it had to happen some time) :B):

Posted

When I got rid of my Compass I kept the best bit the BPW jockey wheel with gauge this also fits a Alko chassis if you don,t mind the blue colour and is easier to read, up until recently they were only about £37.00 on Ebay but the price has gone up no doubt due to the exchange rate. ::o:

Posted

Just noticet you avtar in your sig line Steve !!!

Ehem -- I hope that you dont travel with people in the caravan -- waving from the window !!! :laugh:

nice one though..

Maurice

Posted

Just noticet you avtar in your sig line Steve !!!

Ehem -- I hope that you dont travel with people in the caravan -- waving from the window !!! :laugh:

nice one though..

Maurice

Posted

I know. :thumbsup:

But since he did my head in in the gas bottle thread he aint posted anything for me to bite at.

Till now. :laugh:

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard