Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the red lion

15 posts in this topic

Posted

The samoosas that the pub sells are the best we have tasted for ages. Pub is also very friendly and we enjoyed our stay.

Posted

live about 5 mile away from the pub..was hit hard by the floods ..great place to visit have our bike ride outs regular to here..

Posted

Thanks for that- I've updated the main database.

Norman

Posted

im going here for the may day hoiliday

Posted

just returned ,the most miserable site wardens ive ever met ,no ambience on the site ,nor in the pub ,ill steer well clear .the porta loo empying point was right next to the crock washing area ,i had dirtry looks for emptying whilst folks was washing up ,whos fault is that? the lady who helps on the site wears the same clothes serving food at night as she wore all day moving rubbish bins etc ,not good

Posted

just returned ,the most miserable site wardens ive ever met ,no ambience on the site ,nor in the pub ,ill steer well clear .the porta loo empying point was right next to the crock washing area ,i had dirtry looks for emptying whilst folks was washing up ,whos fault is that? the lady who helps on the site wears the same clothes serving food at night as she wore all day moving rubbish bins etc ,not good

Funny you should say that, we were there for 4 days last month on a rally with a car owners club. The landlady is not very hospitable and the staff were not very friendly, we went into the bar to order a meal at 8.35 only to be told off by the landlady in no uncertain terms that they finished taking orders at 8.30 and that we should have been told that by the organiser of our rally, she went on about it for ages! We apologised and said that we hadnt been told. However, about 10 mins later the landlord came to us and said that we could order something after all, so long as it was off the board, seeing as it was too late to go anywhere else we ordered cottage pie and steak pie, which I must say was delicious and hot. The pub is in a nice location, its just a shame about the owners (I hadnt realised about the helper wearing the same clothes all day and then serving food, yuk).

Ann

Posted

to top it off ,my wife is covered from head to toe in horseflie bites,very nasty bites.not the sites fault .but the site staff are very unsociable,it aint just us ,the guy next to us said the same thing ,great location ,poor staffing techniques,a smile and a hello go along way with me

Posted

Funny you should say that, we were there for 4 days last month on a rally with a car owners club. The landlady is not very hospitable and the staff were not very friendly, we went into the bar to order a meal at 8.35 only to be told off by the landlady in no uncertain terms that they finished taking orders at 8.30 and that we should have been told that by the organiser of our rally, she went on about it for ages! We apologised and said that we hadnt been told. However, about 10 mins later the landlord came to us and said that we could order something after all, so long as it was off the board, seeing as it was too late to go anywhere else we ordered cottage pie and steak pie, which I must say was delicious and hot. The pub is in a nice location, its just a shame about the owners (I hadnt realised about the helper wearing the same clothes all day and then serving food, yuk).

Ann

Thanks you mentioned this, had a similar experience but hope it must have changed since then. Looking for a nice pub around shropshire area. Any ideas?

Having a caravan tour next month with the family with our new landrover defender wooH :blush:

Posted

If you are going to Tewkesbury then you can not beat the Caravan Club site just behind the Abbey - very clean and reasonable size pitches - just don't go during 'flood' seasons. Two minutes walk into town or down to the river and masses of good eating establishments around.

Posted

If you are going to Tewkesbury then you can not beat the Caravan Club site just behind the Abbey - very clean and reasonable size pitches - just don't go during 'flood' seasons. Two minutes walk into town or down to the river and masses of good eating establishments around.

Flood season - when's that, January to December?

That's a sensible warning though. :yes:

Posted

Probably too late, but the Baron of Beef Bucknell Shropshire 01547 530549 SY7 0AH is excellent. I've been cooking steak and chips with pepper sauce every weekend for 35 years, and their version was almost as good as mine. Nice tidy site, dead flat, but tricky to get to (do NOT go through Clun unless you are VERY brave!)

Norman

Posted

We have been to this site a few times now after happening upon it one saturday evening.We have always found everyone there very pleasant and really helpfull (we were unfortunate on one occasion to have a gas leak and they were great,cooking our meal for us and even bringing us a breakfast sandwich the next morning).When using the pub we have been made very welcome by both staff and customers and found the company excellent.

Anyone finding these people miserable must be on another planet or very offensive to invoke this sort of reaction

What more can i say Very helpfull,Good food,Good beer ,Great location and best of all excellent company

Posted

Just, four hours ago, got home after four nights at the Red Lion site. We will NOT be going back there. On arrival we were met by the leftovers from the Hitler Youth movement. Unfriendly, unhelpful and acted as though we were a nuisance to them, rather than paying guests. Cash payment insisted upon and no receipt issued or offered. HM Revenue and Customs probably don't go camping.....

Toilet/washrooom facilities resembled those of a third world country, and I've visited several, believe me. More rules than I could try to shake a stick at and regular patrols by "Him" or "Her" to uphold this list of regulations. Children and adults alike being chastised for the least infraction. The shop is a joke, being open for a whole hour in the morning and a further one in the evening.

The caravan pitches are spacious, it must be said, and the ground is flat and level. I was surprised that there were many EHU's/pitches still available despite it being August Bank Holiday. Maybe the Stormtroopers frighten potential clients away. Or maybe it's the fact that the "facilities", such as they are, are some considerable distance from the park area. I paced it out at 700 meters from our van, albeit pitched pretty well at the far end of the park. By the road which runs along the top of the site..strangely, horses wake me more easily than cars.

Now none of you know us. We're easily pleased people wih no axes to grind, but both feel that their website, it's photos and information are dreadfully misleading and inaccurate. There's a photo of a washroom, for example, which almost certainly exists. But not there. Nor that of the shop....

Shame, with a little TLC and rather more maintenance the site could be OK. The management could be replaced with pleasant, human, people and all would be good. Ish.

Ian

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard