Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRP

Question

Posted

The Swift Group seem to be moving over to GRP panels in sum of there range. The Abbey range now comes with GRP to all 4 panels. I personal think this finish is fantastic !!!! ::D:

What do you think ? Why don't other manufactures use it ?

Chris.

8 answers to this question

Posted

They make the body of Britains most beautiful sportscar from it, so it's okay in my book (the 'Blackpool Rockets'; TVR)

Posted

Chris,

Like you we were knocked out by the superb GRP finish of the Abbey range compared to the other manufactures we had shortlisted (Bailey, Lunar and Elldis). Motorhome manufacturers have been using this build method for a number of years now. Hence we are now keenly awaiting the delivery of a new Abbey Spectrum 540, also voted best fixed-bed by Practical Caravanning magazine.

Regards,

Robin,

:smoke:

Posted

The only 2 reasons I have been given to why other manufacturers don't use GRP is:

1) It is heaver than normal panels.

2) Its harder to manufacture.

Hope you enjoy the Spectrum Robin, I've got a new Abbey Freestyle on order.....can't wait.

Posted

The only 2 reasons I have been given to why other manufacturers don't use GRP is:

1) It is heaver than normal panels.

2) Its harder to manufacture.

Hope you enjoy the Spectrum Robin, I've got a new Abbey Freestyle on order.....can't wait.

Posted

Chris,

Don't know why other manufacturers told you that one of their reasons for not building their products in GRP was weight. Our main contender to the Abbey Spectrum 540 was the Elddis Crusader Sirocco which has a MIRO of 1620Kg versus the Abbey's MIRO of 1494Kg, 126Kg lighter than the Elddis. Both have roughly 280Kg payloads making the Elddis MTPLM 1900Kg versus 1778Kg for the Abbey.

Cheers,

Robin,

:smoke:

Posted

Woah!!!! This can't be happening - a thread where people aren't buying - dare I say it - Baileys!!!!! :lol::lol:

Keep it up folks!!!! :B):

Posted

I think GRP sided motorhomes have been around for a few years. The problem in caravans is that it adds to the weight but it does not dent as easily as the traditional materials. It is so sickning when an awning pole falls against the van and dents it. GRP on its own would not convince me to buy a particular van.

David

Posted

When I looked along the sides and roofs of the 'vans at the EC show, it was pretty evident, from reflection of the lights, which had GRP Sandwich panels; their panels were not as flat and smooth as those with Aluminium panels.

It is true that GRP construction of sandwich panels makes them heavier, compared to Aluminium skinned panels. I met a German guy on holiday one year, and he had a 'van which had GRP clad walls and roof, with curved contours from wall to roof, Hymer I think. He told me he got a very big discount on it because it was so heavy, 1600-1700kgs UNLADEN, that they hadn't sold well and production had ceased!!

Cristall seem to have the best of both worlds; their outer skin, on the Moreva, is an Aluminium/GRP composite (called Alufiber), with the aluminium on the external side for greater flatness and smoothness. This composite has impressive strength and dent resistance as shown by their 'ball-bearing drop test'. See them at the NEC if they're there.

Seemingly they have exclusuve use of this material for one year, but as part of the Hymer Group, I suspect it will make its way to other makes in the Group if it proves successful.

GRP is very useful if curved surfaces are required, where Aluminium is practically impossible to form at any sensible price. Hence its use on Motorhomes, and the front/back and roof of some 'vans. Easier to repair than ABS, as well.

I certainly wouldn't choose one 'van over another just because it had (supposedly) flat sandwich GRP walls.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts