Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Standing Around

Question

Posted

Does anyone put their caravan on blocks/axle-stands over the winter?

I know for a fact that unless I take it for a trip round the local area, ours won't be moving anywhere until at least March.

I keep going to go & stick it on a pair of axle-stands that are in the garage.

It's that, or call at the British Waterways Manufacturing Facility in the bottom of village (they make lock gates) and ask nicely if they've any off-cuts.

Blocks of 18'x18' Oak should be okay, I think?

I just want to get the static loading off the tyres, & uncompress the suspension .

Is it best to use 4 stands, or can I get away with 2 diametrically opposed?

10 answers to this question

Posted

I usually put the van on axle stands during the winter although I did not do it this winter as I had jobs to do like removing the Move Control. If you have an Al-Ko chassis then their recommendation is that you put the axle stands under the axle and no where else. You will need some blocks to put under the corner steadies as they could be a full stretch if you don't.

David

Posted

BTM, I put the Van on two blocks under the axle, perfectly safe with legs down, also leave handbrake off.

Posted

I always take mine off and lie them flat in the caravan, I use winter wheels in their place.

Posted

We use winter wheels too.

Posted

We use axle stands.

Posted

Never done any of this. We use the van occasionaly during the winter. It could stay in one spot for as much as a couple of months, but there again we go to a site in the summer and stay 6 weeks and we dont take the wheels off then. Never experienced a problem in the last 30 years. So I dont propose changing now.

Ok so I'm Lucky? or is it all an over reaction.

Posted

Put it on axle stands once but it was more trouble than it was worth. Loke Harry we use the van throughout the year, I cover the wheels over to protect them from the sun and also move the van approx 1 ft forward periodically to avoid flat spots and have never had any problems

Posted

:drive: BushTuck, like the other guys I put my van on axle stands with the hand brake off :thumbsup:

Posted

No axle on our van so that rules stands out. I am not at all sure what damage is caused to a tyre that is maintained at the correct pressure if any, I think it is lack of pressure that sends the tyre out of shape when left in one position. What I do is pump the tyres up to the maximum allowed, this way if a tyre looses pressure over winter hopefully it won't go below normal. It also means I don't have to worry about putting some pressure in when time to move. Covering the tyres is very important as damage by sunlight (ultraviolet) goes along way in reducing the tyres useful life.

As for protecting the suspension, I wouldn't bother for this reason, if it can stand the rigors on the move it is not going to be damaged by standing still. :spin:

Posted

Just a quick addition guys, the primary reason for putting the van on blocks as far as I'm concerned is as BTM says is to decompress the suspension!!!!!!!

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts