Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evidence from Snaking Tyre Marks

Question

Posted

Peter W Jones AMInstP

Consultant for Snaking Accidents

To find other Forums by the same writer click

on "Search" at the top of this page;

click "More Search Options."

enter "Peter W Jones"

Evidence from Snaking Tyre Marks

I have previously drawn attention to my blog

www.20six.co.uk/roadtrafficaccidents

I have also reported that only about 400 extra people have visited my blogs.

This may be because you cannot ?click? on my www address to get the blog on your PC. You have to type the address into the correct place instead.

I have also previously explained that I am new to blogging. I have found the procedure on the T&T site for entering these addresses, but so far I have not made it work. It gives me an error message saying that my address is not valid.

Please type in the above address and scroll down to 17a ?Snaking Tyre Marks.?

I have raised the temperature of this debate with my hypothesis that there must be almost zero friction between tyres and the road during snaking. (Please also note that a rigid HGV towing a large central axle/axles trailer is the same in principle as a car towing a caravan - except that the former has brakes that can be applied when snaking leading to jack knifing takes place).

It follows from my hypothesis of almost zero friction that the caravan/trailer must experience some aerodynamic lift; the fact that this does not fit current theory that one needs a structure shaped as an aircraft wing to achieve lift is a problem for academia.

The aerodynamic lift exists and to make our recreational activity safer we must adapt to make things safer.

Standen, Phd thesis Bath University,1999, ?Towed Vehicle Aerodynamics,? as a result of wind tunnel tests with a model car and caravan did show that suitable aerofoils did improve stability. He only failed to solve the problem of devising a legal/practical solution as his final aerofoils were on the side at the front of the caravan.

(see my blog www.caravanaccidents2.wordpress.com for further details of the Bath University Research in paragraphs 9e, 9d, 10c, and 10b.)

I have now realised that I missed an item of valuable evidence revealed by the snaking tyre marks sent to me in 2003. (My brain is best stimulated by a good debate. Thanks again to T&T respondents).

There are no marks on the road in a snaking accident as the van swings almost sideways. This is evidence that supports my hypothesis of enough lift during snaking to eliminate friction.

The snaking tyre marks are in the position where on each swing the van starts to topple over as one side lifts. I think the damage to the tyres is due to this happening a large number of times (The Investigators can count the number of oscillations by counting the tyre marks). I calculated that a van of the size of my Swift 400 SE would eventually lift one wheel at a time as much as 5ft before it eventually toppled over. This of course would involve the van lifting the back of the tow car, but this was reported in replies I have received at T&T ( the man who went over a humped back bridge too rapidly) and I have seen the result of this happening to a large Volvo.

I assume that budget restraints have prevented the Police referring this matter to a Forensic Engineer. This is why I think it so important that if you are involved in a snaking accident you should ask your solicitor to engage such a person. The sooner we get a ?test case? in the courts that will produce a subsidiary verdict on the part the caravan/trailer played in an accident, the sooner will recreational towers realise that they need to slow down until they have better brakes and aerofoils.

118 answers to this question

Posted

Okay, even I've had enough now.

Is there any way that Peter can have his own 'Snaking' forum that can be excluded from 'View New Posts' like Rainyday is?

Posted

:goodpostingsign:

PLEASE

Posted

I agree. I don't think Peter should be barred, but I do think his discussions should go into a separate forum within T&T.

Posted

Pretty Please with cream on top.....

Posted

Peter - I'm glad you're no longer teaching Science in schools - our children need a proper education!

Zero friction? Engineers, real engineers that is, continually research ways to reduce friction to improve efficiency in all types of machinery - you should be able to get rich and make a fortune by selling your discovery that caravan tyres are frictionless.

Coefficient of friction - get any textbook covering O-level Physics or A-level Applied Maths, they'll explain it, or they did before you went into teaching.

Posted

I agree this topic should be in the 'Workshop' area as it's technical in nature and workshop is another term for talking a problem through, however hope no one wants it barred altogether.

I don't think Peters conclusions at the moment are anywhere near correct but he's right to challenge current thinking because neither is that and if only from that point of view he's on the right track.

It's been mentioned before about the earth being square and those saying it was not, I believe were burnt at the stake....I'm sure Peter must feel he's in danger of a similar fate from those so adamant he's totally wrong.. :undecided:

Posted

:goodpostingsign::goodpostingsign:

colin

Posted

Peter W Jones AMInstP

Consultant for Snaking Accidents

I have also reported that only about 400 extra people have visited my blogs.

I assume that budget restraints have prevented the Police referring this matter to a Forensic Engineer. This is why I think it so important that if you are involved in a snaking accident you should ask your solicitor to engage such a person. The sooner we get a ?test case? in the courts that will produce a subsidiary verdict on the part the caravan/trailer played in an accident, the sooner will recreational towers realise that they need to slow down until they have better brakes and aerofoils.

Posted

Right then suggestions needed as to naming a new forum to go into the workshop one?

And (OK stop cheering) I shall put all these threads into it

Posted

To Peter,

If there is no friction between tyre and road, how does the caravan reverse the direction of swing?

To all other T&T ers, sane or otherwise,

Please excuse me for prolonging this discussion with what I truly believe to be a fruitcake but I just cannot help wondering what his answer might be.

Posted

doube text deleted, sorry!

Posted

Right then suggestions needed as to naming a new forum to go into the workshop one?

Posted

With reference to caravans taking off might I suggest "Snakes on a Plane" :sneaky:

Posted

Howsabout

Safety while towing?

Posted

Merchant's Corner?

Posted

Posted

Howsabout

Safety while towing?

Posted

Peter,

Have a look at the first few seconds of.

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/ATC-Video/alko-Trailer-Control.wmv

There's footage of an actual snake.

There is that much load on the outer tyre you can clearly see it deforming.

It's been said previously, with zero traction how would you get a side to side movement.

Cheers

Lee

Posted

It's been said previously, with zero traction how would you get a side to side movement.

Posted

why not just call it the P W J Theories then we would all know where to find him should we be bored. Also then there should be no danger people looking up the wrong info.

Posted

:goodpostingsign:

Posted

Merchant's Corner?

Posted

Same reply as in the other thread.

File it under "B", move on, nothing more to see here.

Posted

Can i have a set of these frictionless tyres, as they wont wear out obviously................

Sonja (or any other mods) please think carefully about giving this fruitloop person space, in my opinion he is blatantly dangerous.

His information is INCORRECT, he has NO BASIS IN FACT, and if his information was used by a newbie, it could prove disasterous.

Please please look at the newbies who ask questions on here, and recieve some very good advice back. This forum is known as an excellent source of information. This guy is neither an excellent source or informative.

He is downright dangerous in his warblings, please as a forum member DO NOT give him space to rant dangerous misinformation.

Posted

How about a Cookery Forum for Fruitcakes?

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard