Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safe Towing by HGV's

Question

Posted

From Peter W Jones. AMInstP

Consultant for Snaking Accidents

(Caravans, Small Trailers, HGV Trailers)

Charitable Status to be applied for

To find other Forum Articles by the same writer click

on "search" at the top of this page; click on

"more search items." Enter "Peter W Jones"

I have decided to introduce a new post for HGV drivers as I know that a great many of them tow caravans and go camping. I met a retired HGV driver some years ago who owned and ran a large Caravan/Camping site in Devon.

I value comments I have received on my Forum "Safe Towing of Caravans and Trailers," but feel that the site has now become too large.

I trust however that it will be left on display for reference purposes.

Comments I received resulted in my slight change of "job title" as stated above.

A respondent who told me that the Selby Rail Disaster

had no place on T&T because the accident was caused by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel, prompted me to produce the reply pointing out that in future court hearings should be provided with any evidence available which indicated that the over run brakes on the trailer could have been a subsidiary cause of the accident.

As a result of other comments received I have decided not to seek work as an expert witness. If any members of T&T are involved in a snaking accident all they need do is draw attention to any thing they think is relevant on T&T postings. Their solicitor will then decide whether he wishes to ask the accident investigator to look into the matter. If I had thought of seeking the assistance of T&T before I would not have bothered trying to be an expert witness.

At this stage I only have a small contribution to make with regard to HGV trailers. However, even if no one is killed or injured when they "jack knife" the disruption to our motorway nextwork is immense, so even minor items are important.

A great many HGV's have a notice on the back urging the public to ring a given phone number and report their impressions of the driver's ability to handle his combination.

I think it would be campaigning money well spent if "Brake" and similar organisations ran posters carrying a representation of one of the above notices followed by questions as below.

Has this driver been advised of the wind strength needed to over turn this vehicle (a) when loaded (b) when empty?

Does he/she know when it is too windy to be on the road?

The tractor of this vehicle may have electronic brakes, but are there any on the trailer?

I think that we would all be a lot safer if this matter was given some attention.

60 answers to this question

Posted

1.gif7.gif

As this is a forum for "domestic" caravaning --I dont think many of the members here tow with a HGV .. perhaps you should look at a fairground forum -- there are some who tow merry-go-rounds there...

Posted

A great many HGV's have a notice on the back urging the public to ring a given phone number and report their impressions of the driver's ability to handle his combination.

I think it would be campaigning money well spent if "Brake" and similar organisations ran posters carrying a representation of one of the above notices followed by questions as below.

Has this driver been advised of the wind strength needed to over turn this vehicle (a) when loaded (b) when empty?

Posted

If you really want to know about LGV trailer brakes here's 141 pages for you to read Peter

http://www.mira.co.uk/site/ResearchReports...4-235082-01.pdf

It was carried out over 10 years ago and the majority of new trailer builds do come with disc brakes, Electronic Braking Systems and air suspension.

One of the biggest UK trailer builders is just around the corner from myself, my dad works there.

Cheers

Lee

Posted

Peter - If you're really interested in HGV trailer performance, I suggest you try a forum like http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/portal.php - where I believe you'll find some accident investigators and other experienced people who may have some input

Posted

Peter - If you're really interested in HGV trailer performance, I suggest you try a forum like http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/portal.php - where I believe you'll find some accident investigators and other experienced people who may have some input

Posted

:wine:

Peter,

I'm getting the impression that your efforts to improve life for caravanners are not being met with the respect they deserve. May I suggest that you apply your experise to an area that appears to have received no funding or study but affects millions of people in the UK on a daily basis ?

Whilst they are not often towed, the steering and stability of these things has long been recognised as errant to say the least so can you apply your resources to the investigation and rectification of poor steering on shopping trolleys - the shoppers of the UK, and probably the world, will be forever in your debt !

:wine::wine::wine:

:England:

Posted

I'm pleased to see that we're expanding the horizons beyond mere caravanning and into other realms, as it allows me to bring up a serious problem that I've been experiencing of late.

The last few times I've driven my DeLorean and hit 88mph, flames have shot out of the tyres and I've ended up in the 1950s.

Clearly this is a very hazardous and unnerving situation to find yourself in. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me, otherwise I'm trading it in on a Batmobile.

Posted

I'm pleased to see that we're expanding the horizons beyond mere caravanning and into other realms, as it allows me to bring up a serious problem that I've been experiencing of late.

The last few times I've driven my DeLorean and hit 88mph, flames have shot out of the tyres and I've ended up in the 1950s.

Clearly this is a very hazardous and unnerving situation to find yourself in. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me, otherwise I'm trading it in on a Batmobile.

Posted

For gods sake why dont this guy just give up

Posted

......I see you got thrown out of the "world is flat" meeting then! :givemebeersign:

Posted

i think mr p w jones is seriosly off his trolley bob never mind the steering of trolleys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

He really needs to lighten up a bit and write in PLAIN ENGLISH!!!!

Just give it up. It's a dry subject made extremely boring. In fact, I use his postings as bedtime reading. zzzzzzz

Posted

Any chance of removing this muppets threads as well?

:thumbsup:

Posted

Any chance of removing this muppets threads as well?

:thumbsup:

Posted

Has anyone yet established what the "W" stands for? :blush:

Posted

Posted

From Peter W Jones. AMInstP

Consultant for Snaking Accidents

(Caravans, Small Trailers, HGV Trailers)

Charitable Status to be applied for

I have decided to introduce a new post for HGV drivers as I know that a great many of them tow caravans and go camping. I met a retired HGV driver some years ago who owned and ran a large Caravan/Camping site in Devon.

I value comments I have received on my Forum "Safe Towing of Caravans and Trailers," but feel that the site has now become too large.

I trust however that it will be left on display for reference purposes.

Comments I received resulted in my slight change of "job title" as stated above.

A respondent who told me that the Selby Rail Disaster

had no place on T&T because the accident was caused by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel, prompted me to produce the reply pointing out that in future court hearings should be provided with any evidence available which indicated that the over run brakes on the trailer could have been a subsidiary cause of the accident.

As a result of other comments received I have decided not to seek work as an expert witness. If any members of T&T are involved in a snaking accident all they need do is draw attention to any thing they think is relevant on T&T postings. Their solicitor will then decide whether he wishes to ask the accident investigator to look into the matter. If I had thought of seeking the assistance of T&T before I would not have bothered trying to be an expert witness.

At this stage I only have a small contribution to make with regard to HGV trailers. However, even if no one is killed or injured when they "jack knife" the disruption to our motorway nextwork is immense, so even minor items are important.

The tractor of this vehicle may have electronic brakes, but are there any on the trailer?

I think that we would all be a lot safer if this matter was given some attention.

Posted

So your point is?

Posted

I'm sorry, your point is?

I'm an LGV C+E instructor, to answer your question - no not may of know, or care, what wind strength will turn a trailer over. We just have to get on with it. Wind strength varies from yard to yard out on a road/motorway. Are you suggesting that LGV drivers refuse to work if the wind is blowing at more than a certain speed? There would soon be lots of drivers out of a job. It's a hard life driving a truck for a living, and there are enough rules and laws as it is. So your point is?

Posted

Just reading in one of his blogs -- where -- he relishes the number of hits that he gets to threads like this -- and quotes the number of hits as part of his research !! to prove that a great debate is going on !!

Duuhhhhhh!!

Posted

Hi Bob,

It's quite interesting that when there's a shout the firefighters don't look out of the doors and say nooooo we can't go out there it's too windy/raining/icy/snowing etc.

That is something that Peter could really shed some light on, what makes a total idiot even dafter? No Peter don't even try just accept we are dafter than a daft thing which is daft :laugh: ,

Regards,

Ian.

Posted

Posted

I've read the original post 3 times now and I still can't make head nor tail of it.

Anyway, what do people think of the TV series "Heroes"? (Iknow, I know. quite irrelevant to the thread.... That just about sums up the original post by PW Jones.)

Neil.

Posted

I've read the original post 3 times now and I still can't make head nor tail of it.

Anyway, what do people think of the TV series "Heroes"? (Iknow, I know. quite irrelevant to the thread.... That just about sums up the original post by PW Jones.)

Neil.

Posted

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard