Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leisure Batteries

Question

Posted

I have a normal car battery in our van. Is it OK to use or should we buy a Lesure Battery.

PS What's the difference. :fear:

Mike & Anne

7 answers to this question

Posted

Hi Mike & Anne,

A car battery is designed to have a lot of charge pulled out of it and then as soon as the engine starts, your alternator puts the charge back very quickly. the alternator also runs all your other things like igition, radio, heater etc. The battery is not designed to have a constant low current discharge over a long period of time.

A deep cycle battery is different in that it is designed to have a low current discharge over a long period and will not be damaged if it runs quite low.

The deep cycle type will last longer and if you have a manufacturer's charger on board your caravan it will be designed to deal with deep cycle batteries.

You won't do any harm using a car battery but when it expires, it will be to your advantage to replace it with a caravan battery as that will last longer.

Dave

Posted

If it helps.

My 110A/h leisure battery has been in two caravans over the last 8 years. Dont know how long its going to last. Maybe I'm pushing my luck. But it has had a lot of use. Average 10 weeks per year in full use and kept on charge the remainder of the time.

Posted

Posted

Saw some 110amp batteries at a dealer over the weekend for ?40. That's a bit cheaper!!

Posted

Gordon et al.,

The Elecsol batteries are way too expensive for what they offer. These are practically Gel battery prices, which may have some advantages to justify their higher prices, but Elecsol batteries (they are not Gel batteries) don't IMHO.

Posted

I put it there for information's sake only Tony.

More on Leisure Batteries:

Even more:

Posted

Thanks for the info

Mike

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard