Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noseweight and 85%

Question

Posted

I have just been looking through a magazine listing the towing limits of some vehicles and the maximun noseweights. Whilst caravan manufacturers no longer give a nose weight for their vans I believe the optimum is 7% of the maximum laden weight of the van.

If you take for example a BMW 330d SE with a kerbweight of 1595kg this gives an 85% tow figure of 1355kg which would appear reasonable. But the maximum nose weight for the BMW is 75kg which using the 7% ideal would equate to a maximum van weight of 1071kg. which is dramatically lighter. So surely when chosing a tow car it shouldnt just be the 85% guide line that is looked at but also the nose weight of the vehicle and the nose weight of the van. We all know that you can move items around to lighten the nose weight but then what effect does this have on the towing and handling.

The reason that this was brought to my mind was that our veichle has a nose weight of 98kg and at times I strugle to get the van within this limit, a fact I was unaware of until I bought a new gauge.

11 answers to this question

Posted

Our new Abbey has a laden weight in the order of 1430 Kg which equates to a nose weight circa 100 Kg. Its because of this we had to change tow cars from the CX Familale we were using to the Pajero. Very few slaoons or estates can cope with the 100 Kg + nosewights these days, you are forced into the realms of the 4x4 or the light van (Transit or Galaxy class) as tw vehicles.

Posted

:wine:

I discovered empirically that the ideal noseweight for my van was about 85kg which is 10kg over the limit for the car ........ and being a responsible law-abiding citizen I load the van to meet the Volvo's limit cos I wouldn't deliberately break the law would I ?????? :angel:

:wine::wine::wine:

:bow:

Posted

Like the 85% 'rule' , the '7% ideal' noseweight is purely advisory.

Generally, it is impossible to tow with a noseweight of 7% of laden weight, because of limitations of the towbar, the towcar's suspension AND the caravan hitch.

This latter is often forgotten. Tony M will correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'hitch' is only permitted a noseweight, or loading, of ~130kg.

So even with some mighty (horrendous! ::D: ) 4x4 towcar this 'hitch' limited noseweight should not be exceeded.

In all honesty, I have not noticed any difference in towing stability with little, or lots, of noseweight.

The Hobby is rather light in noseweight (I struggle to get 5Okgs) and didn't really appreciate this until I measured the noseweight and found it less than 18kgs! Since then I've consciously loaded the front to get ~50KG. Quite the opposite from what I had to do with UK 'vans.

That's the long A-frame for you.

Posted

Del

Its a very valid point you raise and I am sure Doc will have something to say about German van, which whilst generally heavier seem to achieve very reasonable nose weights. I have purchased a new van which arrives in March. It is 200kgs heavier than my old van and working on the 7% of laden weight that means a potential nose weight of 93kgs. I am also about to buy a new car and up until now have been thinking about a Ford Mondeo which meets all my requirements and at reasonable cost. However the noseweight is 75kgs. I am now considering the Nissan X-Trail, especially as it now has a new 136hp diesel engine. In terms of size/weight/towing weight it is not a lot different from the Mondeo but it does allow for a nose weight of 100kgs. Last week in Milton Keynes we had the Caravan Show and this week we have the Car Show. I took Margaret to see the X-Trail but unfortunately it was not love at first sight. Her view was that it looked like a tall estate car, her favourite is the Kia Sorrento!!!!!

David

Posted

David

The X-Trail diesel is an excellent choice. I've had mine for over 18 months now. My van's MTPLM is 1400kg which equates to a noseweight of 98kg at the "7% advised figure". With a 100kg noseweight limit on the hitch, that's just fine.

Its a fine towcar and an excellent everyday family car too. Very economical, reliable etc. The Kia is a bit of a bargain, but for everyday motoring it has'nt got the road manners or handling of the Nissan.

Posted

David

We to visited the show at Milton Keynes and must confess I was impressed by the Kia. It seemed a lot of car for not alot of money,liked the leather interior with wood trim. What realy impressed me was the build quality it felt realy solid and well built. When the time comes for a new car I know where I will be looking.

Posted

Big Ron

Thanks for that info on the X-Trail. Have you towed abroad with it over long distances? The reason I ask is that our touring always seems long distance so I need a car that can cope with that. I have paid 3 visits to the Car Show this week and have spent a lot of time pondering the Nissan. Del is right you get a lot of car for your money with the Sorrento but I am not sure I need a car as big as that. Waiting for number two son to return from Barcelona where they are launching the new 2004 Jaguar Grand Prix Car, perhaps drag him round a few car dealers.

David

Posted

having read this thread I check the noise weight it is 85 Kg with a full gas bottle and as David said the max nose weight for Mondeo is 75 kg so how do I get the noise weight down to 75kg? although towing the caravan did not cause me any problem at all as it is ,I know it could affect the warranty but is it illegal as well?

Posted

Without going too in-depth on this question, we're alright as it's humongous 150kg limit.

Posted

Big Ron

Thanks for that info on the X-Trail. Have you towed abroad with it over long distances? The reason I ask is that our touring always seems long distance so I need a car that can cope with that. I have paid 3 visits to the Car Show this week and have spent a lot of time pondering the Nissan.

David

Posted

David,

For once, listen to your wife, and have a run in a Kia Sorento.

Solo, it drives like an "ordinary" car; so do yourself a favour......... and think of all those brownie points!!!!!

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By Gray · Posted
      Hi and welcome  ignore the fact I have a motorhome I used to have a caravan for 25 years    Find the beading on the awning and measure it that's how to measure and awning length which is how the awnings are classified     
    • Dog to France
      By Surfer · Posted
      As per some of the many many rumours apparently if Brexit happens, it may be reduced to one year.  We can accept the blood test once but to have it every time the dogs are given the rabies shot would be a bit much.  When we lived in Southern Africa the dogs had to have regular rabies injections but never had to have blood tests and rabies is more prevalent in southern Africa than in Europe.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts