Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoring GRP gelcoat

Question

Posted

The gelcoat on the front panel of the van has lost its sheen in places. Why it should be in patches I don't really know.

Anyway, I thought I'd look around for something that was non-abrasive and came across Liquid Rubbing from International Yachtpaint. See http://www.yachtpaint.com/uk/

Anyone used it or had experience of restoring the sheen to the GRP front panel?

2 answers to this question

Posted

The reason could be it has a coat of clear Lacquer over the top?, ABI often did this to improve the showroom shine when new, possibly Elldis did the same?. The gel coat itself is much thicker than normal paint so will take a lot of 'cutting back' without going though, but if there is a lacquer coat on top then this will have to be removed first and that is not going to be easy. Perhaps the easy way would be to have it re lacquered?

Posted

I haven't used Liquid rubbing although I did read it was very good for restoring the original lustre. I used Farecla Caravan Pride on our last caravan,after reading about it in the CC mag and it was also very good as is their scratch remover for polyplastic windows.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard