Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Air Conditioning

Question

Posted

Our Crusader has air-con, one of those big Electrolux units on the roof.

That's probably why it was targetted by scumbags last year.

Anyway, unfortunately the instructions are probably the only missing bit of paper in the folder we received with it.

So the questions are.

Is it easily removed?,

Is it mounted to the same fixing dimension as a roof-light?

Value of such an item Second-hand?

Am I mad to consider removing it?

It's noisy, you only get any benefit by sitting inside with the door & windows shut. It's pointless as I see it, pity the dealer didn't offer me the choice A/C or a discount.

9 answers to this question

Posted

Don't tink Harry's over enamoured with his aircon unit either so I don't think you are alone in your way of thinking.

Posted

BTM. The air-con that is going to be fitted to our Abbey Spectrum we have on order is being installed where the Omnivent normally resides. This is being fitted by the factory as part of the build process but we understand that it can be retro-fitted by the dealer without any major surgery to the roof so I can only assume that it is the same size as the Omnivent. Air-con is quoted as adding 27Kg and costs ?880.00 as an option. Might be worth putting it on Ebay.

Cheers,

Robin,

:smoke:

Posted

So the questions are.

Is it easily removed?, probably

Is it mounted to the same fixing dimension as a roof-light? yes

Value of such an item Second-hand? I wouldnt buy it

Am I mad to consider removing it? depends how desparate you are for dosh

It's noisy, Sure is you only get any benefit by sitting inside with the door & windows shut. As with all air conditioningIt's pointless as I see it, pity the dealer didn't offer me the choice A/C or a discount.

Others will disagree. Just my opinion..

Posted

If my memory serves me right the Air-Con was standard on the Storm for the 2000 model season. If you were to part-exchange the van with the air-con missing, expect the dealer to chip it back around ?400.00. :fear:

We often receive enquiries from customers who are specifically looking for a used van with Air-Con. your Storm would be deemed an attractive p/ex.

Then again, you could remove the unit and fit a standard rooflight - but keep the air-con unit ready to go back on.

FD

Posted

Thanks gents,

I wanted to remove it, as it's main purpose seems to be ornamental.

Harry agrees with me on the point of it only being any good supplying a closed enviroment (as with any a/c equipment)

Money? Not grumbling about it, just curious as to what they're worth.

'Friendly', I take your point about the selling on factor, as it attracted SWMBO before even opening the door & looking inside.

Must admit I'm still impressed by the overall design, & the aesthetics of the interior.

Still contend it makes it a major scum-bag magnet, as when they had at go at it no others were touched.

It was visible head-on from the road (200yards away), so its roof profile stood out more.

Posted

:plane: I bet that big bit of kit with all the aerodynamics of Norway sticking up into the airstream knocks a fair few MPG off when towing BTM!

Posted

I saw the air conditioner below on http://www.greytechnology.co.uk and thought it was the answer to maiden's prayer - well batchelor's - until I read the pdf file that goes with it. The two big knobs at the back are actually reservoirs to be filled with water and then frozen!

The Ice Fan

Posted

Tony,

The last time I bothered to work out mpg with the van on was on a trip to Berwick-upon-Tweed (that was with the Challenger)

It came out at (if I remember correctly) around 27mpg, with all but 2miles being motorway (M62. M1 & A1)

The Crusader is about 400kg heavier at its MTPLW, plus the box on the roof. I still reckon 26mpg is possible.

Posted

:yes: That's very good BTM. We "Only" manage 22 MPG from Donald our disco when towing, which I still think's pretty good. That was the overall figure we got going to the Dordogne 7 back last year, doing 70 MPH or so on the motorway.

Our's is an auto, so that knocks it down a bit.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts