Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batteries

Question

Posted

Realised the other day that we've had ours for about 5 years. I keep it charged up through the winter. How can I tell when it needs to be replaced?

12 answers to this question

Posted

I normally change my Battery every 4 - 5 years at the advice of the dealer. However we are in the process of having a powertouch fitted so have put a new battery on for the mover.

Posted

I went in the Van yesterday eve to prep it for a journey away and the lights went dim after 20 minutes which indicated to me that the battery was at its lifes end,

i have had this battery for 6 years so it looks like a trip to the showroom again, (Blast) :yes::yes:

Steve

Posted

Had a new 110 ah battery when I bought the van before last. Transferred it to this one. Never touched it. Its constantly on charge. 8 years old now. As I'm about to change vans again, wont push my luck any further and will replace it.

Posted

My car batteries seem to last ~4yrs. The ATS (cheapest source for the replacement) guys reckoned that's around 'par for the course' nowadays.

My 'van batteries have had a very variable life-time; some managing to give up in ~2 years, some going for more than 6; depending on the care they'd had.

I have always had them, all, on 'trickle charge' and short-term deep discharges haven't been a problem.

In retrospect, I think that Heat is what knackered the short-life batteries (2); and my lack of attention to the electrolyte level. :angry:

The electrolyte evaporated far quicker than I had imagined during continental summer hols. and this low electrolyte, together with continual charging did 'em no good.

There is a supposedly 'magical' battery charger, called the MegaPulse (~75?) by Novitec, (German!) which uses over-voltage (18V) pulses to displace any sulphation coating from the plates. It can bring back 'clinically dead' batteries to a fully charged state of ~13.2 volts. :wow:

Presumably it should keep a new battery going for years and years and.......

PS sorry B-R, If you take the battery off charge, and it self discharges in ~a week, it's had it!

Posted

That's an interesting point you make about the HEAT factor Doc.

I have a 2004 Bailey Vendee as do several other posters. The battery box is over the off-side wheel arch and just behind the heater. We were away in November for 4 days and for two weeks over the holidays and on both occasions when we packed up to come home the battery and box and mains plug were quite warm.

I had thought of contacting the manufacturers to ask if the ambient temperature could effect the efficiency and life of the battery, and if it would effect the internal resistance and thus the auto charging. What do you think?

Dave

Posted

ambient temperature can affect the efficiency of a battery and extra heat will affect the internal resistance and reduce efficiency and the working life

Posted

Hmmmm!! Perhaps I should be talking to Bailey! :B)::B):

Dave

Posted

Had a rather warm battery once and didn't feel too happy on it. got a new one and no probs so figured the battery had come to its natural end.

Posted

when youve charged it and go away just how long does the battery last for the duration of the trip?

were replacing our battery before next trip as it goes flat within minutes of turning lights on

is the only difference between these the time they stay charged?

12 Volt Leisure Battery (85 AMP) ?28.95

12 Volt Leisure Battery (110 AMP) ?39.95

Posted

Correen Yes

But they sound too cheap.

You get what you pay for.

Posted

Was thinking of getting 110 amp battery but dealer reckoned they are a tight squeeze so we stuck to the 85amp

Posted

But they sound too cheap.

You get what you pay for.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard