Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12 volt lighting system

Question

Posted

Hi all

We have noticed that of a evening whilst trying to relax that the 12v lights pulse between lighter and dimmer in about a second intervals whilst the battery charger is in use.

I was just wondering if this is normal and if anyone else has the same thing happening as we find it very annoying.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Michelle

11 answers to this question

Posted

Hello Michelle, I wonder if the charger does this as your battery is fully charged and it just "pulses" to keep it that way?

my car battery charger at home does this, after it has fully charged the Battery it switches to a "Maintenance Mode" to keep it topped up

try switching the charger off in the evening and see if it stops, dont worry as unless you use extra 12 Volt Equipment the only things that run on 12 Volts are the lights and water pump and they dont use a lot

Richard

Posted

Thanks Richard for the reply, when we turn the charger it does stop

But what we really like to know is that is this pulsing ment to happen or normal or do we have a fault?

Posted

I would imagine it is a normal thing for a modern charger to do Michelle and not a fault

I wouldnt worry about it providing your battery is not getting hot by being overcharged

just turn off the charger in the evening it will charge the battery up again in no time during the following day

Richard

Posted

doesn't sound normal to me - has it always done this?

our 12v lights don't pulse and when on ELH's I tend to stick the charger on and often forget about it.....

don't even pretend to understand caravan electrics tho!

Posted

Could be that you have a dodgy relay. They do that sometimes when they're kernackered. I'd get service to look at it / sort it out.

Posted

....just noticed that you have an '06 'van! Even better - warranty job! :thumbsup:

Posted

Michelle we had this happend to a caravan we had years ago it turned out to be the battery was knackered, we bought a new one and the pulsing stopped.

Posted

Michelle we had this happen to a caravan we had years ago it turned out to be the battery was knackered, we bought a new one and the pulsing stopped.

Posted

Is it a portable charger or a built-in power supply?

A portable charger will charge at 14.4v but drop back to 13.8v when fully charged, but then cycle between the two voltages which does appear as pulsing.

A built-in power supply will supply 13.8v continuously, varying the current as required, there should be no pulsing.

If it's pulsing with a built-in power supply, either the battery is faulty or the built-in power supply is.

Posted

Hi All,

Our 'van did this and a new charger was required,

Regards,

Ian.

Posted

No probs for us, sounds like the charger to me, where are you Gary?

Steve

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard