Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alko breakaway cable.

Question

Posted

I thought I'd treat myself to one of those new-type breakaway cables with the decent snaplink connector.

Finally got round to looking at fitting it yesterday, but it's quite awkward to get at & has a very substantial ring where it joins to the van's breaking mechanism.

It appears the only way to change this is to cut through the old end with an angle grinder, bend the new end open & somehow bend it closed when it's attached.

Or is there another way? :stars:

6 answers to this question

Posted

hello tony Ive done a few of these ...

i found the easiest way is to carefully push a flat blade screwdriver in to the ring on the end of the cable turn it to open it then feed it into the bracket on the handbrake..

Posted

I've done as Bellie suggests, Tony, but that split ring is VERY difficult to open up to the required degree; at least it was for little ol' me!!

BTW changing to the proper snaplock connector that can be clipped to a convenient point on the towbar (rather than looping back onto the cable) is a very good idea. Think I'll mention it to my dealer sorting out my new 'van!! Tah!

Posted

I had the same issues when I came to do mine, in the end I didn't have any tools around suitable so just unclipped the Karabiner from the new cable and clipped it to the existing cable in place of the old snap connector.

Ted

Posted

Thanks for all your help chaps!

I'll have a go later. It WILL be done!

Posted

I did the same as Iain, but i stabbed myself in the thumb first :oops:

Posted

Job done!

Relatively easy getting the old one off. I used a 1" wood chisel (!) & levered against some molegrips.

Getting the new one on wasn't so easy. I ended up using the underside of some bolt cutters to squeeze the eye up.

• Plus Sign next to names
      By MONTYSA · Posted
      Hi Our do you get minus, saw -1 against one member. Happy Caravanning Monty
    • No water pressure
      By DEANO3528 · Posted
      Agreed, Gray. However I managed to get the latest supercession (the blue whale pump) for 83 quid so that swings the assembly versus valve block in my favur I feel. It also comes with a pushfit strainer which is a good idea although now requires a little scheming with the pipe run. There's not enough room to fit into the proper spot; plugged directly into the pump, so I decided to buy some 'spares' from Leisure Shop Direct for those 'eventualities'. I will fit the strainer ahead of the director valve with a purchased stem elbow connector which will allow the feed from the external tanks to plug into the strainer. Hopefully the spares will turn up by Thursday as we are away for the weekend starting Friday dinner and I'd rather have the extra filter in line if at all possible
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tour Britain & Ireland Map

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts