Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alko breakaway cable.

Question

Posted

I thought I'd treat myself to one of those new-type breakaway cables with the decent snaplink connector.

Finally got round to looking at fitting it yesterday, but it's quite awkward to get at & has a very substantial ring where it joins to the van's breaking mechanism.

It appears the only way to change this is to cut through the old end with an angle grinder, bend the new end open & somehow bend it closed when it's attached.

Or is there another way? :stars:

6 answers to this question

Posted

hello tony Ive done a few of these ...

i found the easiest way is to carefully push a flat blade screwdriver in to the ring on the end of the cable turn it to open it then feed it into the bracket on the handbrake..

Posted

I've done as Bellie suggests, Tony, but that split ring is VERY difficult to open up to the required degree; at least it was for little ol' me!!

BTW changing to the proper snaplock connector that can be clipped to a convenient point on the towbar (rather than looping back onto the cable) is a very good idea. Think I'll mention it to my dealer sorting out my new 'van!! Tah!

Posted

I had the same issues when I came to do mine, in the end I didn't have any tools around suitable so just unclipped the Karabiner from the new cable and clipped it to the existing cable in place of the old snap connector.

Ted

Posted

Thanks for all your help chaps!

I'll have a go later. It WILL be done!

Posted

I did the same as Iain, but i stabbed myself in the thumb first :oops:

Posted

Job done!

Relatively easy getting the old one off. I used a 1" wood chisel (!) & levered against some molegrips.

Getting the new one on wasn't so easy. I ended up using the underside of some bolt cutters to squeeze the eye up.

• Work begins on £200,000 Ludlow caravan holiday home park
      By Jbeans · Posted
      We are really looking forward to getting a motorhome so that next year we can find quiet lonely places and stop not having to worry about whether we are aligned on pitch or whether the hook up is in reach of our cables. . Like quiet lonely places!  
    • Work begins on £200,000 Ludlow caravan holiday home park
      By Gray · Posted
      I wonder  We mostly use tents caravans and motorhomes so yet another Static park just doesn't shake my tree I really feel their narrow gapped ranks of uniformity are horrible We are really looking forward to getting a motorhome so that next year we can find quiet lonely places and stop not having to worry about whether we are aligned on pitch or whether the hook up is in reach of our cables  So we will not be visiting this place but thanks for giving us the information so we can steer clear
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    MichaelUKJones

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts