Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which of these tow cars would you choose

Just for a laugh - which would you opt for??   259 votes

1. 1. Which of these tow cars would you opt for - all are diesel and circa ?24,000

• Citroen C5 Estate
    • Kia Sorento
    • Hyundai Terracan
    • Hyundai Sant Fe
    • Ford Mondeo Estate (New model due 05/07)
    • Ford Mondeo Hatch (New model due 05/07)
    • Nissan X-Trail
    • Mitsubishi Outlander
    • Citroen C-Crosser
    • Ford Galaxy
    • Ford S-Max
    • Landrover Freelander 2
    • VAuhall Antara
    • Any other - specify below

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

168 posts in this topic

Posted

Which of the above tow cars would you opt for if you had ?24,000 - ish available and why??? Bear in mind the new Mondeo about to be launched has a new 2.2 diesel power train coming in Feb 2008 which will see the max tow capacity raised to 2,200 Kg and the nose weight raised to 90 Kg

Posted

Seat Alhambra TDI.

Posted

kia sedona

Posted

Seat Alhambra TDI.

Interesting - are you aware the Alhambra is basically a rebadged Galaxy (the Galaxy was a joint venture between VW and Ford - VW passed it on to SEAT)???

kia sedona

Why the Sedona and not the Sorento Correen?? Other than you already have the Sedona???

Posted

Interesting - are you aware the Alhambra is basically a rebadged Galaxy (the Galaxy was a joint venture between VW and Ford - VW passed it on to SEAT)???

Er, I think you will find that the Galaxy is a re-badged VW Sharan - on the Galaxy TDI, try to find the Ford parts - very, very few indeed. The Alhambra is the Seat version of the Sharan, and almost identical - Seat is part of the VAG Group. VAG bought Ford out of the Joint venture in 1998, and have been producing the Galaxy for Ford until last year, when Ford launched their own Galaxy. The Mk 2 was launched in 2000, and, apart from the engines and gearboxes in the 2.0 and 2.3 petrol Galaxies, virtually all of the Ford parts disappeared.

The advantage of the Alhambra is that it's the same car for less money. An excellent towcar it is too.

Posted

No info on Kerbweights for the new Mondeo yet but it's bigger than the current car and has a higher towing limit.

A new 2.2TDCi will be available with twin sequential turbos.

Maximum torque will be around 300lbft available from only 1400rpm, maximum power is expected to be nearly 200bhp and useable power is available past 4500rpm.

Combined economy expected to be in the area of 45mpg.

That car should be awesome for lighter caravans.

Cheers

Lee

Posted

Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.2 TD.

Posted

Ssangyong Rexton, Not much to say about towing with it yet, because i havent :undecided: but for the price and spec with 140kg nose weight and 3500 max towing thingy :stars: should be able to pull just about anything you want, with basic model starting at 18k i think, so well under the 24k your starting with.

Jason

Posted

you'll need it with all them bikes you carry on your a frame :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Posted

Neil

I voted for the Sorento because I have recently purchased one but not yet towed with it. Next week end when I take the van in for its service will be the first time. I could have equally voted for the X-Trail as I owned one for two and a half years and found it to be a really excellent towcar and a practical vehicle as well. I changed the X earlier than I originally planned for several reasons, not least that I would have had to tax, service it and buy 4 new tyres. Additionally I don't like changing tow cars in the main season so it would have been another year before I would have an opportunity. The choice of the Sorento was for several reasons. Firstly it seems to have an excellent track record as a tow car. There are some bargains around which would not have applied to a replacement X-Trail. I wanted to give an automatic a try again, its been 15 years since the last one! Also wanted the freedom to go for a larger caravan if we wanted to. With the X we would have been pushing the limits, certainly if you did not want to tow more than kerbweight. There are downsides of course, the principle one being economy but you generally can't have everything. Good luck with your choice. Does everyone agonise over what tow car to buy, I know I do!!!

David

Posted

Towing Report for my new RAV4

th_WasabiIII.jpg

Clickable piccie

The towing capability for the Toyota RAV4 III - 2.2 D-4D

with my van Elddis Whirlwind GT (2001):

Performance on levelled roads

Top speed

Usability 6th gear

Acceleration and take over Performance in mountainous regions

Drive off uphill

Driving on motorway slopes

Driving on steep roads

Toyota RAV4 III - 2.2 D-4D (100 kW/134 bhp)

Date of manufacture: january 2006 - up to now

71%

1125 kg 1585 kg

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 71%.

The towing performances of this Toyota with your are perfect (performance index = 102 km/u or 63 mph).

You may expect very vivid performances from this outfit. On flat roads you can come along adequately, in which case top gear is applicable in most cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

More in detail

Possible top speeds

Possible top speed in windless conditions and head wind force 3

Top speed in 3rd gear is 97 km/u (60 mph) and in head wind it will be 97 km/u (60 mph).

Top speed in 4th gear is 127 km/u (79 mph) and in head wind it will be 120 km/u (75 mph).

Top speed in 5th gear is 130 km/u (81 mph) and in head wind it will be 114 km/u (71 mph).

Top speed in 6th gear is 120 km/u (75 mph) and in headwind it will be 104 km/u (65 mph).

Top speed or speed at 2880 rpm (= 80% of max. power revolution)

Speed in 1st gear is 23 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 23 km/u.

Speed in 2nd gear is 45 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 45 km/u.

Speed in 3rd gear is 71 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 71 km/u.

Speed in 4th gear is 98 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 98 km/u.

Speed in 5th gear is 127 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 114 km/u.

Speed in 6th gear is 120 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 104 km/u.

Acceleration and take over

Acceleration

0 - 80 km/u (0 - 50 mph) with caravan in 12.7 sec. (solo: 7.6 sec.)

0 - 100 km/u (0 - 62 mph) with caravan in 21.4 sec. (solo: 11.4 sec.)

0 - 120 km/u (0 - 75 mph) with caravan in 37.9 sec. (solo: 15.7 sec.)

Acceleration 70 - 90 km/u (44 - 56 mph) flexibility

As fast as possible (through the gears) 5.6 sec.

In 3rd gear 5.6 sec. Tractive power (pick-up) is good.

In 4th gear 7.9 sec. Tractive power (pick-up) is reasonable to good.

In 5th gear 14.9 sec. Tractive power (pick-up) is moderate.

And like David above, I have not as yet towed with it.

Posted

you'll need it with all them bikes you carry on your a frame :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know two adults on the A frame & two childrens on the roof of the car :thumbsup: ,

Posted

I like the look of this, the Dodge nitro http://www.dodge.co.uk/dodge/page_nitro_video.aspx

dont know much about it yet, or how much it is going to cost

Just found this as well

http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/capability.html?feature=towing

Posted

Towing Report for my new RAV4

th_WasabiIII.jpg

Clickable piccie

The towing capability for the Toyota RAV4 III - 2.2 D-4D

with my van Elddis Whirlwind GT (2001):

I think I'd go for one of these too. :thumbsup: It's the perfect "bum height" for me climbing in and out of too. :laugh:

Posted

Depreciation-wise I wouldn't buy a new C5, I would however buy a nearly new one.

Of the others the X-Trail is compact, fairly economical and is a good, reliable performer. However as 'vans get ever heavier it looks quite lightweight in comparison to some of the others. That said my father in law is changing his as he feels its too big now he is retired! Getting an Astra SRi estate instead, with which he will tow his 1200Kg Bailey.

I do like the look of the Freelander 2.

Value for money and all round competance places my vote with the Sorento though!

Alternatively your money could get a nice nearly new A4 3.0TDi Quattro - all the best folk have them!

Posted

I like the look of this, the Dodge nitro http://www.dodge.co.uk/dodge/page_nitro_video.aspx

dont know much about it yet, or how much it is going to cost

Just found this as well

http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/capability.html?feature=towing

Looks like you would get change from $30000 for the top of the range. Makes you think. Probably ?30000 here.

Posted

No info on Kerbweights for the new Mondeo yet but it's bigger than the current car and has a higher towing limit.

A new 2.2TDCi will be available with twin sequential turbos.

Maximum torque will be around 300lbft available from only 1400rpm, maximum power is expected to be nearly 200bhp and useable power is available past 4500rpm.

Combined economy expected to be in the area of 45mpg.

That car should be awesome for lighter caravans.

Cheers

Lee

Will have the info hopefully next week (oh the "joy" of working for the firm that makes them - even if only for another 3.5 months) - been talking to the director of marketing and subsequently the head of FCSD. Thats another story though for another time.....

The DW12 powertrain you refer to will be available after Feb 2008 - currently the max tow weight is rumoured to be 2000 Kg and, for some weird Euro-regulation, the noseweight can only be 4% of the max tow weight so, again, it is rumoured the launch of the new model will see nose weights stay at the current 75 Kg. With the launch of the new powertrain it is expected that the max tow weight will rise to 2,200 Kg and thus the nose weight up to 90 Kg.

Fuel economy - it's hoped - low 30 mpg towing, mid to high fifties solo. It's still being worked on right now so nothing is definite.

Posted

Neil

I voted for the Sorento because I have recently purchased one but not yet towed with it. Next week end when I take the van in for its service will be the first time. I could have equally voted for the X-Trail as I owned one for two and a half years and found it to be a really excellent towcar and a practical vehicle as well. I changed the X earlier than I originally planned for several reasons, not least that I would have had to tax, service it and buy 4 new tyres. Additionally I don't like changing tow cars in the main season so it would have been another year before I would have an opportunity. The choice of the Sorento was for several reasons. Firstly it seems to have an excellent track record as a tow car. There are some bargains around which would not have applied to a replacement X-Trail. I wanted to give an automatic a try again, its been 15 years since the last one! Also wanted the freedom to go for a larger caravan if we wanted to. With the X we would have been pushing the limits, certainly if you did not want to tow more than kerbweight. There are downsides of course, the principle one being economy but you generally can't have everything. Good luck with your choice. Does everyone agonise over what tow car to buy, I know I do!!!

David

Cheers David!

What sort of deters us from considering the Kia, Hyundai and Landrover more seriously is they are readily identifiable as SUV's and thus liable to draw unwanted attention from Mr Livingstone and his cronies as the congestion charging zone is expanded out to the M245 borders. The Mondeo & Citroen manifestly aren't SUV's whilst the Outlander hides the fact it is one rather well. Not sure about the Antara right now......

The decision on the new Mondeo will ride on the response I get from the Marketting and FCSD people in a week or so. I've seen the actual car itself and it's a fantastic piece of engineering. We've not bought a Ford since 1984 due to the treatment employees get from dealers both in buying and in afer sales service but the new Mondeo estate is good enough to make us ignore that aspect. However if it won't cope with either the new or the planned van then we go to another choice!

Posted

I would choose the biggest most eco un friendly 4x4 i could find :thumbsup:

As for global warming ............................ the warmer the better i say.

BTW I voted other as I would recommend the Nissan Pathfinder fantastic car :thumbsup: and just so happens to be the car i have.

Posted

landcruiser amazon dodge ram

Posted

List price for a top of the range C5 Estate is ?22000 - but shop around and they can be purchased for less than ?17500.

Posted

I know two adults on the A frame & two childrens on the roof of the car,

:secret: Jason.

Wouldn't you be better off putting the family INSIDE the car, sitting on the seats? :undecided: This present arrangement of your family clinging on outside of the vehicle is absolutely scandalous, as the high air drag co-efficient must adversely affect both top speed and fuel consumption of the vehicle! :rednose:

:laugh:

Posted

I voted for the Sorento cause I've got one. I've had many tow cars over the years saloon and 4x4's and have to admit the sorrento is the best car I've had

Posted

Again, it appears to me that everyone has just voted for their present vehicle. Surely, someone out there must be unhappy with their current tow car? :undecided:

.....errrr! I vote for the Nissan Navara, by the way........ :blush:

Posted

I didn't vote for my car!!

I like the Terracan myself...........