Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

110 amp hour battery completely dead

Question

Posted

Used the van 2 weeks ago and went to go in it yesterday but the alarm was dead. Then found, when I turned the power switch to 12v that there was no reading at all, the battery was completely dead. I know the power was off when I left the van 2 weeks ago and am dumbfounded as to why the battery has lost all of its charge in 2 weeks.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

NRF

12 answers to this question

Posted

Have you a motor mover fitted? If so, was ths master switch turned off? I believe some movers have been known to cause leakage in the past.

Posted

Hi Eddie

Yes have got a motor mover fitted but main switch was off and key removed.

Regards

NRF

Posted

Hi Eddie

Yes have got a motor mover fitted but main switch was off and key removed.

Regards

NRF

Posted

Other things -- like your radio? -or aerial -- if left on this will take the battery down..

was the heating fan on ?? turn it to off and don't leave it on Auto -- you wont be able to hear it running..

One other thing -s the alarm on its own battery -- or the main battery?

Posted

We had this happen a couple of years ago, parked the van up battery was fine went back 2 weeks later and it was dead. When we looked closer the battery had a large bulge in the side . Turned out a plate hate moved inside causing a short and a lot of heat.

Posted

another thing to remember is that if the battery is connected whilst in storage, the charger will draw approx 0.4 amps back away from the battery. alarms, radios, ultraheat fans, 12v lights in the fridge, toilet full indicator lights, are the main causes for draining batteries. so my advice is if you intend on leaving the battery in the caravan, disconnect the battery leads. or better take it home/inside and keep it charged/topped up.

the other reasons could be, a knackered battery, a knackered charger, or a blown battery fuse.

Posted

another thing to remember is that if the battery is connected whilst in storage, the charger will draw approx 0.4 amps back away from the battery. alarms, radios, ultraheat fans, 12v lights in the fridge, toilet full indicator lights, are the main causes for draining batteries. so my advice is if you intend on leaving the battery in the caravan, disconnect the battery leads. or better take it home/inside and keep it charged/topped up.

the other reasons could be, a knackered battery, a knackered charger, or a blown battery fuse.

Posted

Took me a couple of days to discover this was drainig my batteries!! I had left the fan setting on 'Auto' assuming that when the heater is OFF the fan would be OFF; it isn't. The fan was going very slowly and could not be heard.

Another drain on 12V supply could be the TV aerial amplifier. As Mr. S says, a switch, or whatever, to completely disconnect the batteries is the thing to do.

Posted

i`ll have to double check but im pretty sure that the 12v isolator on the series 5 and 6 baileys doesnt isolate ALL the 12v, so be very careful.

Posted

Thats interesting I always thought that isolator switches turned everything of. I will have to check on our delta, I know it switches of the lights and CD will have to check the status arial.

Posted

i`ll have to double check but im pretty sure that the 12v isolator on the series 5 and 6 baileys doesnt isolate ALL the 12v, so be very careful.

Posted

on the series 5 & 6 baileys the 12v master switch does isolate all standard fitted items. it will not isolate any motor movers or dealer fit radios, depending on how the dealer wired it in in the first place.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard