Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5th wheel

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone new on this forum and I like it as it has some great topics. I would just like to throw this into the boiling pot:- is a fifth wheel a motorhome or a caravan :pepper: because if we use the derogatry term to discribe caravaners as TUGGERS and you do TUG a 5th wheel MMMMMM, also what do our opposite number call us motorhomers ( keep it clean please )

Anyway its nice to be part of this forum

Posted

Hi Terry welcome to T&T

I think your name if very descriptive of your motorhome, :laugh: as you take your home around with you :thumbsup: good name :thumbsup:

Anyway I shall let others talk about 5th wheelers, to me they are a caravan as you do have to pull them :yes:

Posted

Welcome to T&T!

I've never considered "tuggers" to be derogatory - I suppose it depends on the intent of the person using that term, but I've always thought of it as a slightly amusing slang term derived from the fact that the tow car acts as a tug to the caravan.

Do "tuggers" have a similar term for motorhomers? Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps "Trannies", because they drive transformed vans..? :mwah1

As for 5th-wheelers, they are more caravan than motorhome, surely. The only difference is the size and the way the 'van attaches to the tug.

Posted

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the madhouse :laugh: .

I would say that a fifth wheeler was a caravan, but what does it matter if you enjoy touring in it. By the way your in the wrong hobby if you worry about what people call you as, in my local I'm known as a Shed Puller, Wobble Box tower and they're the only ones suitable for posting on here :laugh:. Mind this is from people who sit in the same seat week in week out while we are away as much as possible so I won't let the pressure get to me as while I'm away I'm not looking at their ugly mugs after all I can always sell my 'van but they''ll always be ugly,

Regards,

Ian.

Posted

I always refere to my 5th wheel as a caravan as it is easier than trying to explain what it realy is but to people that know I always refere to it as a 5er

lizz

Posted

I would think that a 5th wheel is the best of both worlds --- all the size etc of a motor-home -- but the convenience of a caravan -- in that you can un-hitch and nip off to the shops etc - without having to tow a second car.. or have motorbikes etc

Some one has a 5th wheeler here -- and it is a nice bit of kit -- from the photos... I would consider getting one if I was starting over... *sorry lizz -- forgot it was you*

The term "Tugger" has probably been used since the start of regular caravaning and is not a derogatory term at all... In the early "En-Route" magazine (forerunner of the CC Mag) there used to be a regular "Tuggers advice" section where you could get tips on fitting tow bars and the best gas mantles to buy...etc...

I am a TUGGER -- and have also been a Motor-homer (with a Camper van) too.. but quite fancy a 5th wheel job..

Posted

Fifth wheelers do look good - I suppose the down side of them is the tow truck you need to pull them.

I agree that they are closer to caravans than motorhomes. After all they have no motor!

Posted

Welcome to T&T!

I've never considered "tuggers" to be derogatory - I suppose it depends on the intent of the person using that term, but I've always thought of it as a slightly amusing slang term derived from the fact that the tow car acts as a tug to the caravan.

Do "tuggers" have a similar term for motorhomers? Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps "Trannies", because they drive transformed vans..? :mwah1

As for 5th-wheelers, they are more caravan than motorhome, surely. The only difference is the size and the way the 'van attaches to the tug.

Posted

Hi. We have friends who imported an American 5th wheel van. It's a few years old and does not have the graceful lines that some of the newer ones have. It's very spacious inside, particularly when the side is opened out however I found it to be very "boxy". Everything is large and solid, including the waste pipes!. They bought a Nissan pickup on e-bay and had it converted, reckon the whole deal came to some ?12000. Nick has spent a lot of time modernising the van, including changing some of the 110v system to 240v. They both love it, but to me it's a bit of a beast!

They are coming on a two week trip to Germany with us later this year so I hope to give you a better idea of how things turn out later in the year.

Regards. Pete.

Posted

I like the term "5th wheeler" to differentiate from caravans and motorhomes.

In US goods vehicle terms the equivalent to a 5th wheeler is a semi-trailer but to call them "semi-caravans" is nonsense as they're twice as big, not half the size.

Posted

It is a fascinating subject, but I haven't a clue what you are all talking about.

Please can someone tell me, what is a 5th wheeler ?

Cheers TrevorM

Posted

fifthwheelermain.jpg

This is one. The 5th wheel being the tow hitch situated under the bed at the front. Usually hooked up to large 4x4 pickups. A certain percentage of their weight is imposed onto the towing vehicle, thus making them 'articulated'.

5th%20Wheeler.jpg

Posted

Ron is correct and Justlizz has such an outfit.

They are supposedly more stable then a conventional car-caravan combination, but yesterday I came across one (Aventurer or some such) being towed on the A1(M) South and it was weaving all over the place. The tow vehicle was a big Nissan double Cab thing and the driver seemed to be very 'intent' on what was going on, so don't know if it was his driving or what!

Posted

Had a look at the uk 5th wheel company and hadn't realised that they had expanded into horse trailers http://www.fifthwheelco.com/

Makes sense I suppose

Introducing our new innovative fifth wheel horse trailer the EQUISARA. Combining the utmost safety, versatility and usability we have designed a trailer that can suit all needs - whether you want to carry four horses or one. High specification and build quality comes as standard.

Posted

Thanks for the picture Bigdrinks. Definitely not a motorhome. Some might say not even a caravan.

5th wheeler it is then.

I have seen in France a tiny two berth version on a single axle. As well as the normal tow ball there was a hitch device on a roof rack on top of the family hatch. The principle being that the car and van became a fixed rigid unit. Two metal stuts had to be erected under the overhang in order to extract the car. The main problem came when trying to unite the car with the van, two hitches to be accurately positioned for line and level ! In a field, on a slope, in the rain.

He refused any help and it took the poor chap two days. He had only recently bought it and was generally pleased with his puchase, but thought there was the odd design flaw. !

Sorry now that I didn't take a photo.

Cheers TrevorM

Posted

is that a 5th wheel -- with a car being towed behind?

wowow..

I would say that it rather defeats the object -- I would have thought that on reaching a site you would "undo" the 5th wheel bit put the front legs down on the living bit and use the "tow" as a normal car...

Isn't that what normally happens??

I can see another debate starting here !!

Posted

As it is not a self propelled vehicle and therefore requires a tug for propulsion's, in my eyes it is a caravan. Must admit I do like them, recently visited the CC site at Edinburgh and there was one there , it did look good. Only problem is that for me the available tugs are not potential replacements for our current vehicle. Know if a right hand drive diesel auto Dodge Ram were available I would be interested.

Posted

Thanks for the picture Bigdrinks. Definitely not a motorhome. Some might say not even a caravan.

5th wheeler it is then.

I have seen in France a tiny two berth version on a single axle. As well as the normal tow ball there was a hitch device on a roof rack on top of the family hatch. The principle being that the car and van became a fixed rigid unit. Two metal stuts had to be erected under the overhang in order to extract the car. The main problem came when trying to unite the car with the van, two hitches to be accurately positioned for line and level ! In a field, on a slope, in the rain.

He refused any help and it took the poor chap two days. He had only recently bought it and was generally pleased with his puchase, but thought there was the odd design flaw. !

Sorry now that I didn't take a photo.

Cheers TrevorM

Posted

Many thanks Mike, the Clipcar it was. Perhaps we may have some French forum members who can fill in the background for us. I noticed thet the web site offers units for sale going back to 1990, so there must be a market out there for something a bit different and not in the mine's bigger than yours groove.

Salut Trevor

Posted

hi everyone - im new to this site but we have a 5th wheel and the reasons i rekon they are better than m.h. and craavans is

1. you unhitch on site so have vehicle to drive around in, so in this respect better than a motorhome.

2. when towing they dont snake or wobble when something overtakes you and are a more stable unit, so better than a caravan

The down sides are that some sites want to charge you for 2 pitches in England and some sites say you cant come on because you use what is considered a commercial vehicle to tow with, but they will let you put the trailer on but not park the 'tug' next to it. This is something I have only encountered in England have used outfit in Spain and France with no problems - have even gone on sites in France which don't allow twin axle caravans. (think the locals know that the 'travellers' wouldn't have such a vehicle)

I have never had a motor home but had caravans - packed in years ago but decided to come back as its lot less hassle and you can go where you want when you want. We looked at motor homes up and down side of having one - then at new caravans but decided that with the large amount of milage we do when going abroad to plump for the 5thwheel it was the safest combination. We dont have a posh unit no slide outs it was made in the states to English spec so legal over here and it doesnt need a yank to tow it. all in all it suits us has plenty of storage outside and in - plus a half bath with shower and yes they are a bit boxy but who cares inside its fab. The worst thing about them is the awning - have found that if its windy we have to roll it back in but have been told to get a safari room (privacy room) and that should help (dont know if its true but we will be finding out - it wasn't something that was needed abroad

• Globally and Off line too
      By klyne · Posted
      This is just one of several previously busy forums that has slowed down, 365, caravans4you. caravan channel and probably others which I no longer look at to name a few. Caravan Talk and UKCampsites are still reasonably busy as is the Caravan Club forum but not the C&CC forum. I belong to a Bailey Motorhome Owner Group on Facebook which has almost a 1000 members and that is quite busy but its a dam awful way of finding things that weren't posted in the last two days. This sort of forum is better but as Gray suggests further up it is the Social Media side that is growing but not providing a very satisfactory way of keeping track. David
    • SSANGYONG 2005 REXTON 2.7AUTO
      By Jbeans · Posted
      This is good to read!!! I know there a a few members on here rate them as good as you.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Lillianbob

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts