Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning Galvanised Metal

Question

Posted

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.....

My trailer is one of those small Daxara ones, made of zinc-coated steel. It's going white with age now.

Can anyone recommend a cleaner that will return it to the proper grey colour?

Would I be better painting it? I realise that it will need "special metals" primer.

TIA

Stuart.

9 answers to this question

Posted

What ever you do dont use anything with "polish" in it - it will look fine for an hour or two but - this will react with the zinc and you will get a white resdue.

A stiff wire brush and some very fine steel wool will work fine after washing it down to remove any dirt on it. The wire brush will make it shine, but will leaves some lighter marks. The steel wool will shine it up but dont rub too hard.or "go through" the coating... Don't worry about the overall appearance, it will blend in together eventually...

Posted

Zinc coated steel will go rusty and DO NOT wirewool it as it will take zinc off and then more rust brush white off and paint with car paint spray or any metal paint undercoat with metal primer if you live anywhere near me Bucks we could powdercoat it if you can take the panels off or find a powdercoaters near you pm me if you want any more details we are in the metal painting business

lizz

Posted

Vinegar, any abrasive will ruin the galvanising. coat it with vinegar, then wash it off after half an hour.

Steve

Posted

Vinegar, any abrasive will ruin the galvanising. coat it with vinegar, then wash it off after half an hour.

Posted

Zinc coated steel will go rusty and DO NOT wirewool it as it will take zinc off and then more rust brush white off and paint with car paint spray or any metal paint undercoat with metal primer if you live anywhere near me Bucks we could powdercoat it if you can take the panels off or find a powdercoaters near you pm me if you want any more details we are in the metal painting business

lizz

Posted

Stuart,

We have a 10 year old Erde (Daxara 157) trailer that's now used for garden and household duties, and you don't need to worry about the white-grey residue.

The Daxara is made from hot dipped (molten zinc) steel sections, and it is the zinc coating that stops the steel from rusting. When fresh out of the dip tank, the zinc forms visible (?2 coin sized) cell-like patterns all over the steel, which slowly turn a uniform matt grey, and may even form a fuzzy coating - which I think you have - and is the natural form of the protective zinc oxide layer.

Rules:

1. Just use a soft brush and water / car shampoo

2. Never use anything abrasive - this will strip the soft zinc coating from the steel and rust will quickly take over.

3. Don't chemically clean the zinc - unless you control this very carefully you will dissolve the zinc coating.

If you do remove the fuzzy white / grey coating - using 2. or 3. - and get it back to the bright 'factory fresh' finish, then expect the zinc to oxidise and turn back to the matt grey coating again.

If you don't remove the fuzzy coating, which maintains maximum protection, then the steel will stay rust free for almost ever.

Warning: Like bare steel, zinc coated steel is attacked by road salt - so if you do take the trailer out when the gritters are about - wash it down as soon as possible.

Robert

Posted

Stuart,

Warning: Like bare steel, zinc coated steel is attacked by road salt - so if you do take the trailer out when the gritters are about - wash it down as soon as possible.

Robert

Posted

Zinc is attacked by fresh water and salt water has little or no effect?

Posted

Hi, we work with and paint galv all day. Try to get some body or panel wipe from a body shop. This you can wipe on with a rag and it will not affect the coating. The white powder coating allways happens when the galv gets wet. Something like hammerite will protect it and will paint straight on the galv

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard