Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truma Regs packing up

Question

Posted

hi all,

just wondered out of all the people who have had problems with these regulators, how has the problem been resolved by your dealer, especially those regulators which have packed up whilst away with the caravan?

just a bit of market research for me.

44 answers to this question

Posted

Not had a problem yet :fear: ,but when it does happen i will have forgot about this problem and look for every other problem to do with the gas not working :wall2::wall2::laugh::laugh:

Posted

Hi all , can someone enlighten me on this issue?

I was not aware of any problems with the regs (have a 2006 Elddis) , but now I see this thread and it makes me wonder that when I changed my gas bottle recently , the supplier said there seemed to be some left in , yet I had little or no gas coming through on the gas ring.

Posted

Hi all , can someone enlighten me on this issue?

I was not aware of any problems with the regs (have a 2006 Elddis) , but now I see this thread and it makes me wonder that when I changed my gas bottle recently , the supplier said there seemed to be some left in , yet I had little or no gas coming through on the gas ring.

Posted

Thanks Robert. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Posted

Hi,

Starting about 18 months ago, there was a small spate of caravan gas systems that suddenly stopped working.

The fault was traced to a black oily contaminant in the regulator. To this day no one is absolutely sure where this came from, the gas bottle, the high pressure tubing, and the regulator itself - and a combination of all three - are all possible candidates.

If you have a "dirty" regulator you should see black oily gunk on the inlet to the regulator.

Dealers seem to be happy to replace dirty regulators as a warranty item.

But there have been no new cases reported for 6 or more months, so it looked like it was clear.

Robert

Posted

no the problem has not gone away. 3 cases just today, one abbey, 2 bailey.

just wanted to know how other dealers are overcomming the problem and how the customer is being helped?

Posted

"The truma reg does not fail completly if allows some gas the pass to the appliance,therefore you have to fit the reg to a full bottle and then examine the

height of the flame."

Exactly what we were experiencing.

Will have the dealer check it out. :thumbsup:

Posted

I have not happen to me yet BUT is it possible to get & carry one as a spare just in case plus fit when needed, i have had the HP hose NRV get stuck just cleaned out works fine now.

Alan.

Posted

I have not happen to me yet BUT is it possible to get & carry one as a spare just in case plus fit when needed, i have had the HP hose NRV get stuck just cleaned out works fine now.

Alan.

Posted

Interesting.

On the Eriba Amiga web-site we had heard of one regulator "failing" in early 2005, but since then no more failures since Christmas.

We have the same GOF (Truma) regulator as fitted to UK caravans, so I'm wondering if the pigtail is different.

Robert

Posted

another on a swift today.

Posted

Hi All

I have e-mailed Truma asking what gas affects the reg, ie do they fail on the continent or say flow gas etc

You guest it NO REPLY

Can some one set up a poll this would determin if its only one make gas that affects the reg

Regards

Dave

Posted

another 2005 truma regulator packed up today.

Posted

Hi,

I've got a 2004 Compass Corona which is fitted with a Truma Regulator and guess what...............last weekend after towing the caravan to The Whitterings for my parents to stay in it, I showed them how everything worked, including the gas cooker, only to be called that night by them saying the gas didn't work.

The only conclusion I can come to after checking the system through (to the best of my abilities) is that the regulator is faulty!

a) Do you think I can get a free replacement from my dealer and,

b) If not, I have read some other posts stating there is another regulator by Clesse which I can get for ?25ish from http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/acatal...regulators.html but I don't know enough about them to know if the fittings are a straight swap?

Any assistance greatly appreciated, I've got to have it fixed in 2 weeks so we can use the caravan again!

Regards,

Brett

Posted

My regulator failed within July last year on the Bailey Pageant Series 5 purchased in January that year. The failure occured in Austria.

Truma in Austria could not help as the threads are different. So m uch for European cover by Truma.

My dealer did not seem very interested to help with the problem in Austria, but did replace the regulator on my return, but never reimbursed me for the Austrian cylinder and regulator that I had to purchase, although I did get a free service due to the other 40+ problems I had had with the new caravan.

Now traded in and using a different dealer.

Also now carry a spare reguilator for possible future failures.

Posted

Hi All,

Our regulator was changed as part of our recent sevice so they must have noticed a problem,

Ian.

Posted

Hi All

Bought a new Bailey Pageant in March this year and don't want any problems.

I think it might be useful if the people having problems give us some idea of their usage. i.e. Ralliers using a lot of heating or cooking. The only time we've used gas for heating is to prove it works O.K. It seems from reading the threads that some are having 3 replacements and others none.

Although we're away for around 16 weeks per annum we only use one and a bit cylinders (6kg propane) in a year. We did notice our oven doing a mexican wave a few times but then it started behaving normally. I wonder if we might experience problems if our usage went up.

Regards

Lunar

Posted

Ours just stopped working when we were cooking,

first of all we thought we had run out of gas so bought a new one and then found out it was the regulator and it was only cos of these posts on the forum that we realised otherwise we would have thought that it was the bottle

First of all the gas came on and then it just died right down as if the bottle was almost empty.

Very frustrating

Our dealer changed the regulator without question

Posted

just to let you know, truma are now stopping covering the regs under warranty for this problem because they have said it is the gas causing the problem and not the reg. the NCC are holding a meeting 28th November with truma and the manufacturers to establish who will be paying the bill to have them replaced. my opinion is that the manufacturer will wind up having to foot the bill.

Posted

I have had no trouble on my Abbey but I fitted a Automatic change over unit to mine which raises the inlets up above the top of the gas bottles my friend who also has a Abbey has had two his regulator is lower then the top of the gas bottle, we wondered if liquid gas was hanging in the pigtails since we clipped the pigtails up above the bottle outlets no problems so far.

Posted

To my mind the problem is two fold

First the gas is 'dirty' and always has been, second the old system coped at least 99.9 blank bugger all % of the time

I look forward to the outcome of the meeting :lost2:

Posted

The old type regulator cost ?3/?4 to replace and never gave any problems. From what I have read the new one is ?25 ish and fails regularly.

It must be time to call a halt and insist that the regulations are reviewed with a view to going back to the reliable and value for money system.

With regard to who should pay to replace the faulty units it has to be the manufacturer as to say it?s the gas when thousands of the old type are working with no problem shows that the new type is not fit for purpose.

This is another example of it it?s working change it.

Regulation gone mad.

Posted

funny thing is the EN (Europian) regulation which says caravan have to have the fixed bulkhead regulator has only been adopted by, yes you guessed it, us! i believe no other country has adopted it and the NCC said they would try it out first. if this is true, maybe we should all be asking some awkward questions and try and get back to the old system of the regulator being on the gas bottle instead!

Posted

I think your probably right Shane, Serviced several newish foreigners this year, Hymers, Hobbies etc. none had the bulkhead regs fitted!!

Posted

In fact, the new regulation doesn't come into force until 2007. My Hobby was supplied with the standard "loose" 30mbar regulator for DIRECT connection to a German gas bottle, meets the new regulations and has the legally required German gas test approval certificate and sticker. Bulkhead fitting is not compulsory! See www.bes.co.uk. and enter part number 16543 for a regulator to replace the Truma. Adaptors are available from them to connect to virtually any gas bottle on the European market. I use French propane bottles with a 20mm clip on adaptor to connect to a fixed 30mbar regulator via a H.P hose.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Sizing an awning
      By tangotonyb · Posted
      OK thanks - I'll try that and see if it's anywhere near the 1050cm I believe it to be based on the caravan size (assuming that THAT's correct lol). 

• Sizing an awning
      By Ocsid · Posted
      Quite right, the beading length is not the one dictating the size.  The "A" dimension is from the ground back to the ground on the opposite side. As the awning's sides themselves don't quite  touch the ground, but stand about 5 cm above it, I would measure it along the van face edge as follows. From the lowest corner of the LH side panel right round along the beading to the lowest corner of the RH side panel,. Then to this add 10 cm for the "ground standoff" 5 cm each side to get the "A" size.   [Practically It could be easier to measure to a centre seam if that is a feature of the awning, and double that plus adding on that 10 cm.]
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tangotonyb

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts