Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody using an Elecsol battery

Question

Posted

I bought an Elecsol 110 battery last August and charged it up with a new good quality charger when I got it home. As I did not intend to use the caravan at all up until a few weeks ago, I charged it up again a couple of times during the period it was off the van.

I put it on the van two weeks ago and left the mains feed in to it with the 12v switch off (which cuts out everything except the charger) only to find that the battery keeps running down two days after each time I take turn the mains off.

I phoned Elecsol and an unfriendly voice told me that on board caravan chargers are useless and I should put it on a proper charger for 3 days and nights, then it would be OK again - then hung up on me before I could ask any other questions!

Is anybody using an Elecsol happily, or do you have to take them off the van and charge them at home after every trip?

Seems like I might have bought an expensive lemon :fright:

9 answers to this question

Posted

:pepper::yes: I bought an elecsol battery in March. I have not used my battery charger on it, only the 'van charger. I have probably done a half dozen rallies on it now with no problems although I do use a 50 watt solar panel. Checking the voltage on the van digital voltmeter first thing in the mornings usually gives me 12.7-12.8 volts although the panel does put it up to about 13.8 if the sun is shining (not often) so, as you can see mine holds its charge over night. So far I rate my battery over my previous one which wouldn't charge on my solar panel.

Posted

I've been using a 220A/H Elecsol for 6 years now in conjunction with a 1500 watt inverter without any problem but I do use a Sterling 4 stage charger because as the man said, most caravan chargers are next to useless. Some UK caravan manufacturers are now fitting multi-stage chargers which is good news (for batteries).

Posted

I've been using an Elecsol 110Ah for 5 years and no problems.

The only charger used has been the caravn built in charger.

It's been used on 5 day rallies and is used with my Power Touch Mover.

Mike

Posted

If you left it in the van with the charger permanently on, the battery may be dry (or getting that way).

If its dry it won't hold charge.

Found this out the hard way and now only put the charger in the van on when the battery actually needs charging. I also suspect that leaving it in storage (no mains hookup) and not switching the battery off may also help to discharge it.

Posted

Unless the charger is faulty or it is not designed for the job then leaving the battery permanently on charge should not boil it dry (unless it has a duff cell anyway).

Most chargers fitted to UK caravans limit the charge to 13.8 volts to prevent gassing, hence my comment above saying that they are useless as the battery never gets fully charged.

This is a hangover from the time that batteries were carried in the caravan rather than an external locker.

This can all be overcome by installing an intelligent multistage charger, which by the way, can be bought for less than the OEM fitted ones.

Posted

This can all be overcome by installing an intelligent multistage charger, which by the way, can be bought for less than the OEM fitted ones.

Posted

Hi

OEM battery chargers/PSUs limit voltage to 13.8 to prevent gassing as previously stated. This means the battery never gets a FULL charge as that requires 14.3 volts initially before dropping back to 13.8 volts. End result...a sulphating battery that holds less and less charge although the voltage meter will show over 12 volts. A staged charger is the best way of overcoming the problem and these can be left on permanently without problems. Small versions like the CTEK 4 amp model are about ?55 (LIDL did a copy of this for ?9.99 a few weeks ago!) and RING are now doing a similar version, both available in most caravan dealers. These can be used to bring the battery up to full charge before using the van and then letting the van charger top up whilst on site. See www.windsun.com/Batteries or www.uuhome.de/william.darden for very good explanations of battery charging. Interestingly, most continental vans do not have batteries as standard. If a dealer fits a battery, invariably it will be with a staged charger/PSU often costing ?200+ and another ?100 or so for a gel or AGM battery. You only get what you pay for!!!

Posted

I replaced my OEM Zig charger with a Sterling 4 stage one.

I bought mine from http://www.jgtech.com/Chargers.htm because they had the best price at the time. Look under Marine Chargers, choose the one that you think is best for you, then do a Google search for the best price.

I can recommend the Pro- Budget series.

Posted

Thanks Beejay & Esperaza, I shall check those links out.

Peter

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts