Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ultralight Gas Bottles

Question

107 answers to this question

Posted

Excellent but in this month Which Caravan it states they require a ?37.50 deposit per bottle if my memory serves me well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the 10KG lite bottle it says ?25 bottle deposit which will be right or is it an intro price?

Posted

Excellent but in this month Which Caravan it states they require a ?37.50 deposit per bottle if my memory serves me well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the 10KG lite it says ?25 bottle deposit which will be right or is it an intro price?

Posted

Yupp Bob their page will be correct but have the mag's May issue now which say's wrongly:-

5KG ?37.50 and ?12.95 for gas

10KG ?41.5 and 16.50 for the gas.

Put me off initially :blush:

Posted

these look good to me - wonder if they're be available in BP stations both in the UK and Europe?

Like the sound of the weight - as for size how does it compare to a red calor 6kg propane bottle (also how much do these weigh)

Posted

Personally for me, the weight saving advantages are not that great, so no "must have" big attraction to warrant the extra deposits, conversion costs and aggro of changing from Calor. Also retail outlets seem a bit thin on the ground at present.

Posted

About time too. After Calor stopped using the light weight aluminium cylinders (Caravangas) some time ago there hasn't been a lightweight alternative until the introduction of these plastic gas cylinders.

If BP set up a wide distribution network then it will give Calor some much needed competition.

I've just paid ?13.45 for a 6kg refill of Calor Propane, ?16.50 for 10kgs is a fair bit cheaper, with the additional benefit of the lighter weight.

I saw these cylinders at the NEC in the front locker of a Bailey and they barely fitted in because they are taller than the Calor cylinders.

They are using (for some reason) a non-standard 27mm clip-on valve connection, so again you need to buy adapters. Standardisation, where is it???

Posted

Is the bottle deposit refundable?

Posted

Lighter bottles where you can see the gas level sounds the business.

I am all for lightening the load, especially at the front of the van.

Seeing how much is left rather than guessing is the biggest bonus though.

Just wish they could come to some arrangement on deposit fo those changing over from calor to BP. After all they will be gaining the repeat business volume they need by stripping current customers away from Calor.

Posted

Trouble is they are going into direct competition so you'll never see any kind of exchange system :no:

Posted

I to saw these in front of the Bailey vans at the NEC.Also i was talking to a Dutch fellow in France last year who showed me one of these, apparently they have had them for a while.For the moment i'll stick with the one i bought last year,it only cost me ?1.98 to put 5kg in last week.As for seeing the gas i find you have to shine a torch through it to see the level.

Posted

Has anyone managed to get hold of one of the new adaptors for the gaslight bottles? I did a quick internet search yesterday, and none of the usual accessory stockists seems to have one?

Thanks

Sarah

Posted

I like the look of these. At the moment I have 1 13kg propane which I've just replaced at a cost of almost ?19...so the prices are similar....?16.50 for 10kg. However, I can't carry 2x13kg and was going to swap it for 2x6kg...and Calor is much more expensive in 6kg bottles!!! It seems to me that 2x10kg lightweight bottles would be an ideal solution...but I'll wait a little while to see how it does (and also to use up the estimated 12kg of Calor I have left!!).

Posted

Has anyone managed to get hold of one of the new adaptors for the gaslight bottles? I did a quick internet search yesterday, and none of the usual accessory stockists seems to have one?

Thanks

Sarah

Posted

I emailed them today and the official launch is the 1st week in May and they have said they will forward some stuff over nearer the time, I have also pointed them to your comments here about deposit/costs etc etc.

Will let you know if we get anything further through

Posted

Nicely done Mark. Be interesting to see whow they react :yes::yes:

Posted

Plastic or light weight gas bottles are nothing new.

I was in contact with a company in Holland 2 years ago about a bottle they market which is the same size almost as regular bottles, but weight wise they weigh almost nothing in comparison. You could see the gas through the bottle. Only problem was the initial cost of the bottle, as it had to be bought.

I was trying to become an importer of these, till i hit a simple but crucial snag.

Nobody, and i mean nobody at all, would allow me to fill, or fill themselves these types of bottle.

And i was removed form another forum run by a well known gas supplier for asking about these bottles and their safety aspect before i initially had any european safety results.

***** were refusing to even enter into talks about filling, so although they may be a good idea at present, unless the system is unified i consider them to be a lot of grief, for very little gain.

Pointless having a nice light bottle that you have to drive 40 miles to fill.

Posted

Plastic or light weight gas bottles are nothing new.

I was in contact with a company in Holland 2 years ago about a bottle they market which is the same size almost as regular bottles, but weight wise they weigh almost nothing in comparison. You could see the gas through the bottle. Only problem was the initial cost of the bottle, as it had to be bought.

I was trying to become an importer of these, till i hit a simple but crucial snag.

Nobody, and i mean nobody at all, would allow me to fill, or fill themselves these types of bottle.

And i was removed form another forum run by a well known gas supplier for asking about these bottles and their safety aspect before i initially had any european safety results.

***** were refusing to even enter into talks about filling, so although they may be a good idea at present, unless the system is unified i consider them to be a lot of grief, for very little gain.

Pointless having a nice light bottle that you have to drive 40 miles to fill.

Posted

these bottles aren't refillable (by the user) - you swop them just like the calor ones - 'cept they are lighter, use different connectors and you can see the gas they are no different.

Posted

I understand that you dont fill them, with the dutch bottles i was trying to source you could take them to an ordinary lpg filling station and fill via that, but still had a standard propane connector on the top. Makes sense, i can drive in a Range Rover LPG converted and simply fill it up with 100 litres of gas, but i cant do the same for 10 kgs bottle.?????

Point is that BP have obviously tried to corner what is or could be a massive market with their own type of connector, when calor release a similar version theirs will be different again. So you have to make a choice of supplier and stick to it, or have a bottle from each.

As it stands from my house i can get my refills from less than a mile away at a garden centre, but will it work the same with BP or Calor?

Posted

We've just bought two of these BP Gas Lights. The weight savings are excellent which allows us to carry more vino. Because we can see how much gas is left there is no more guess work (and as someone who has spent a night on the North Yorkshire Moors with no gas I can assure you this is very useful).

We were recommended to these guys who charged us only one deposit and sold us two 10kgs for ?25.00. They also gave us a free regulator.

www.innergylpg.co.uk.

Anyone who is competing with Calor and Flogas is more than welcome !!

Posted

We've just bought two of these BP Gas Lights. The weight savings are excellent which allows us to carry more vino. Because we can see how much gas is left there is no more guess work (and as someone who has spent a night on the North Yorkshire Moors with no gas I can assure you this is very useful).

Posted

We're seriously thinking about changing from Calor to BP. I beleive Eurotunnel only allow bottles which are 80% full, with BP it'll be easier to check this.

Posted

thanks didn't realise that.

Posted

Claire et al., AFIK it is only the liquid phase take-off cylinders, (as used in lpg powered cars) that eurotunnel ban.

Normal gas phase take-off cylinders, like those used for recreation and camping etc. are OK, although they check them and put a sticker on your car.

Posted

Claire et al., AFIK it is only the liquid phase take-off cylinders, (as used in lpg powered cars) that eurotunnel ban.

Normal gas phase take-off cylinders, like those used for recreation and camping etc. are OK, although they check them and put a sticker on your car.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard