Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12 S plug and socket.

Question

Posted

Just checking the 12 S plug and socket and noticed that pin 6 (fridge connection) is badly burnt. Fitted new plug and socket but how can I stop it happening again?

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Posted

Mines the same, it's on my "to do" list to replace them. There is a way, it's connecting another pin up, but I can't remember which one, bet Doc knows though!!

Posted

Just checking the 12 S plug and socket and noticed that pin 6 (fridge connection) is badly burnt. Fitted new plug and socket but how can I stop it happening again?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

When you fit a new plug and socket bridge out pins5+6 for the fridge + feed and pins 7+ 3 - earth this will give you twice the connection area for the 8-10amp load of the fridge

Posted

Tom,

Agree with Glenn, twinning up the feed and earth is probably the best thing you can do with the 12S

Usually the central pin 7 (Earth Return) is the one that gets damaged first - it sits proud of the other pins. So a burnt out pin 6 probably means that the pin was a bad fit - make sure that you gently and very slightly open up the connector pins.

Keep the connectors clean and remove any corrosion as you find it. Use a light smear of plastic compatible grease (electro-lube or possibly Vaseline) to help prevent corrosion.

The real solution is to fit a properly engineered plug and socket that was designed for the job - the 13 pin Euro connector - but that would be a major change.

Robert

Posted

Thanks in advance.

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard