Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

People Carrier v 4x4

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I am in a tizzz.

I have been thinking off changing my car but cant decide on what to go for I have recently seen a Daewoo Musso 2.9TD which has a bit of grunt form a Mercedes power unit, but I have also been informed that the Kia Sedona people carrier is also a great towing option. Have any of you got or know of someone who has any of the above mentioned cars? If so could you let me know how they perform.

Also all you People Carrier and 4x4 owners let us know about your cars.

Let the jury decide :starwars:

Posted

Although I love my laguna and had intended to replace it with a six speeder, thinking maybe something heavier 4 x 4, or people carrier maybe better.

LR Freelander TDI (34mpg) verses Galaxy TCI (48mpg)

Empty piggybank soon at this rate.

Posted

Hi Darth,

Up until 6 weeks ago we had a Isuzu Trooper. But fancied a change. We looked at a Nissan x trail and also a Kia Sorento which is Kia's new baby.

We chose the Kia Sorento. John is very happy with it. ::D: It is very comfortable and towed the van with ease when we went to Lickhill on its first outing with the van.

Posted

:yes: we keep looking at the kia sedona and seen alot of people towing with them recently all with good reports

Posted

I have just been reading the current Practical Caravan, out today, and it has a feature which includes the New Kia Sorento and I have to say I am impressed. PC say that this budget 4x4 could go down as a 'classic towcar' YOU HEARD RIGHT IT IS A KIA!!! Going by the reports so far this might just be the one for me.

Posted

Kia Sedona is also considered a very good tower. one of our members has one and is very impressed. Practical caravan did a test some months ago and sung its praises too! looks like Kia is a name to watch.

Peter

Posted

Quite a good article in the supplement to Caravan "buying a used 4x4" which lists a lot of the popular 4x4's and has an easy rating system.

And if you are a 4x4 owner already this site looks good for accessories

http://www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com/index.html

On a personal note I do like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, loads of grunt and good looking too ::D:

Posted

Depends on what your requirements are. We have towed with 4x4's for years and wouldnt change. Currently we have a Fronterra Sport DTI and could'nt fault it . As there is only 3 of us it fits the bill perfectley. As we use the caravan 12 months a year the 4 wheel drive comes in handy plus being a heavy vehicle we have no stability problems when towing. people carriers are good if you require 7 seats (with little lugage space) . :drive:

Posted

I agree that requirements are a major factor, Sonja has to use the car daily so a 4x4 is out of the question. :no:

Popped into the KIA showroom today though and they do look good and reasonably priced although the interior is a bit plain.

The write ups I have seen also look very good

KIA

Posted

I had been looking to change my car (xantia TD) for ages and couldn't make up my mind what to get. I kept changing my mind from estate, people carrier to 4x4 (all diesels). I eventually have got a 4x4 -Discovery 2.5tdi and am very pleased with its pulling power. :drive: I've been out twice with it: last week to Maidstone and this weekend to Stratford on Avon. It pulls lovely, loads of room and looks like I'm getting about 30 to the gallon. And the view from up on high is great. :plane: If it stays like this I'll be well pleased and may get a newer one after my daughter gets married and I dont't have to save so much!!!!! Off to France :wine: in a couple of weeks - that'll be the acid test

Posted

How old is the Discovery that you have just got? Be great if you could keep us informed of its performance. I have, like you, been going between estate, MPV, and 4x4 and still can't decide which would be best, althoug when we were at the Yorkshire rally we saw the new Volvo 4x4 XC90 needless to say that Mark and myself started to dream.........if only. :laugh: I suppose if I wait a few years I might be able to get a second hand one, as it does look real sexy.

Posted

It's a 94, so 9 years old and has done 100k. In the first week I had it the ariel fell off, first day!!! I arrived at the CC club site at Scragged Oak, Maidstone, at about 7pm and the warden told me I was over heating. There was a hole in the rad!!!!! I was ecstatic and told the dealer I bought it from how ecstatic I really was. However, they were as good as their word and fixed both. I was able to drive home from Maidestone (45 miles) with the help of a can of rad weld and used the car for most of the following week until I took it in to be fixed. Driving home from Stratford (135 miles + new rad!!)) yesterday was effortless and so much easier than when I used the Xantia TD (which wasn't a bad tug to be fair). But the height, pulling power, room etc is great. At the momemnt I'm sold, but not yet got full confidence in it. If I get to & from wherever I go in France without a major misshap, I will no doubt have more confidence in it. Keep you informed of my trials and tribulations!!!! :drive:

Peter

Posted

Please do keep us informed, as it is nice to hear it is an older model, much the same year as I would be buying if I was to go down that road. Hope everything goes well in France and the car, I'm sure, will behave impecably. I know what you mean about the higher seating possition, as we went from a Mazda 626 to a Renault Scenic, and it is a more relaxing drive just being of the road that extra 12 inches. :thumbsup:

Posted

Hiya

I tow with a Discovery TDi, our van weighs in at less than the 85% mark. The worst fuel consumption was 17mpg, but was towing at above 50mph with 4 adults, bikes on the roof rack and a 1500kg van. I havnt kept a check on the higher fuel consumption, but I think I average around 22/24mpg.

The Discovery also as aircon, so that dosnt help with the consumption, but it is an excellent tug and very comfortable for the long tows.

My mate tows with a Trooper 3.0TD, who used to have a Discovery for years, says only difference is a bit more grunt from the Trooper for the hills.

Regards

Ian

Posted

Hi there.

I don't know if you remember but I posted here a few months ago asking opinions on tow cars because we couldn't decide which to get.

We had decided on the Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI

But, then we started looking at 4x4 and people carriers.

We went round and round in circles and really couldn't decide.

A 4x4 wasn't practical because I would be using it as my main car for taking the children to school and doing my shopping at Tescos :drive:

We finally decided on a Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol.

We are very very pleased with it, we have towed with it 5 or 6 times now including a trip to The Lake District (6 hour journey) and we really do feel that we have made the right choice.

We have got 3 growing children and so we did need the extra seats, not all of them admittedly but it has certainly stopped a lot of the fighting that used to go on in the back of the car.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck in making your decision.

Racheal. :thumbsup:

Posted

I have also been looking to replace my Mazda 626 2.0 with a more suitable towing vehicle. I particularly liked the look of the Kia Sedona and last weekend the dealer in Bristol leant me one for the weekend (towbar fitted as standard). We didn't go far only a round trip of 70 miles but we were all really impressed. It tows so well it's easy to forget you've got the van with you and the space inside is amazing. I have 2 teenagers and an 8 year old and also we take the teens friends on holiday with us so space is an absolute must.

I have tried the Galaxy 2.2Tdi to travel to France last year but found it rather cramped and the drivers seat is uncomfortable after a 100 miles or so driving

Good Luck in your hunt

Cheers

Rob

Posted

hi all

ive got a zafira mainly for space as we have a standard poodle and minature poodle solo i get 45mpg on run and 25 to 30mpg towing depending on conditions and whether ive got a/c turned on not bad for 1.6 16v ecotec turbo petrol engine with 4 adults 2 children and 2 dogs ::D:

The2.2 deisel is no good for towing as it has a manf tow limit of 1050kg down to it having a small clutch which cannot take the torque produced :fright:

Posted

The new Abbey we pick up at the end of August is too heavy - both in terms of noseweight and the 85% factor for our original towcar, a Citroen CX Familiale.

So, having scoured the Towsafe website for matches we were left with either an MPV or a 4x4. The replacement budgt was ?4,000 - or less so that immediately ruled out any decent MPV.

All the Discoveries we looked at were basically piles of cr*p - usually due to rust so we wound up with a '92 MY Mitsubishi Pajero for ?3,750. It's a 2.5 turbo diesel and, so far, has done all that we want it to. Towing the van only knocks 2 mpg of the consumption figures - only downside so far seen to be the need to maintain the stipulated service intervals, especially where the cam and balance shaft drive belts are concerned (change at 50K miles or kiss engine good bye). Consumtion is 25 MPG around town and 28 - 29 cruising at 70 on the motorway. 75 MPH is flat out......

Neil.

Posted

Hi I own a Toyota 4x4 a 3 liter deisel which i am more than happy with it.

There is no problem with the engine power and its a double cub further more i got space in the rear to carry what i want :drive:

Pretty strong and full extras :thumbsup:

Posted

I saw the NCAP test on the Kia Sedona,i think they said it was the worst car they have tested in 2 years.The cabin just crumpled when it was crashed at 30 mph.Imagine what it would be like with a 25cwt van on the back.4x4 are ok if you don't have to run them daily,but on saying that even these have a dubious safety record.

For me it would have to be a good diesel estate something that would return 45/50 miles per gallon solo and beable to pull a reasonable size van.

So my dream car would a TDI Passat :thumbsup: but getting the brass together to afford a good one thats something else :no:

gaz

Posted

I had a look at that as well Gareth, it can be a bit scary, but if you are looking for a car, it's a good place to start.

They said on the radio recently that more and more people are choosing their cars with safety in mind first. This can only be a good thing as car manufacturers must look at their designs more critically if they rate poorly.

If you visit the website, one thing to remember is to check you have the right model and year as the results can be very different even over a year.

Good site to see how your car rates or if you are after a new one

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm

Posted

Well I have now covered about 2000 towing miles with my new (to me) Discovery (1994 2.5 tdi) and I've got to say it does everything I want it to. No problem with the van (1200 KG mtplm??) and loads of storage space. 'er indoors can't quite get used to me saying "...take it if you think you might need it, rather than it's a bit heavy....". Consumption :wine: aint bad either - around 35 solo and 28ish towing (less if you have a heavy right foot). Another thing I've recently noticed is that I haven't once slammed on my brakes since I've had it. Now that may be because I am driving more sedately but I do believe it is because of the seating height which gives such a good view of what's going on in front of the car in front. Observation suggests that the Discovery is one of the highest 4x4s around. I was surprised at this when a Jeep parked alongside and I hadn't realised how much higher the Discovery was. All in all I am very pleased with the Discovery. It makes the towing experience much more relaxed. It was so much better driving in France as I had such a good view of what was going on ahead compared to the Xantia. I'm not trying to sell the Disco to anyone - just making my feelings known for those who are going through the process of changing their tug as I did for several months recently. I wouldn't change my choice now, although I am sure I could justify my actions whatever vehicle I had chosen!!! And, even better, she who must be obeyed, says she wouldn't change it for a car even if we weren't towing - RESULT:: :thumbsup:

Posted

Last year we ordered a new 8 mtr T/A caravan MRO 1436kg & Max weight 1720kg at the time our friends had a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8td which they used to pull their 4 berth single axel caravan,the car looked impressive and was on my list of possibles. :wub:

In the end I bought a Ford Explorer 4.0 ltr petrol :heart: which I had converted to LPG.

During our first trip to France :french: with the new outfit I noticed that on the slightest of hills our friends continually dropped back so I cannot imagine what it would have been like to pull our caravan had we bought a Shogun or Pajero. :stretcher:

Posted

Mind you, 4 litre's a lot of donkey! How did the conversion go and what's your consumption now!

Posted

Zebedee,

That is a bit of a tough one because dispite LPG being a sealed item every time I fill up I get different amounts in the tanks.

The car on petrol max mpg 25, I think I get about or just under 20mpg on LPG and around 15 or just under when towing the caravan, so with LPG being about 30ppl I am getting 30mpg when towing ::D:

There are several web sites where you can either down load and print off the locations of LPG stations or there are map push pins for Auto route 2001/2002 for BOTH UK and Europe.

• Caravan Problems
      By rslsys · Posted
      Talking up trouble because we are going away next Thursday! We have only had a water problem on this van when the tee piece on the boiler hot water output decided to come adrift on two occasions. Have replaced the tee with a Whale item instead of the factory fit Swift item and had no more problems.   Cheers Keith  
    • Tyre accident casualties down
      By shipbroker · Posted
      ..........it also costs a bit more to have a tyre changed if Tyron fitted.................   geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tour Britain & Ireland Map

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts