Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Van lighting circuits

Question

Posted

En-route home from Thriftwood rally the other week our right turn indicator went into warp drive whenever it was used. On arrival back at the storage blown bulb - quick check of the service book revealed the bulbs were type 382 - 12v/21W so went down to Halford's and got a pair. Went over the van yesterday to swap the bulb over only to find the bulbs in the van also have an orange coating on them - totally NOT mentioned in the service book. So - back to Halford's, bought a pair of Orange bulbs (couldn't swap them as I'd left the original pair propped on the front of the adjacent caravan) and went back to the van today. Refitted the new bulb, hooked up the 12N socket and voila - no change no.gif - still going warp drive and no indicators on the van. Checked the contacts in the 12N plug and socket on the 13 pin adapter but still no joy! Oh b*gg*r we thought heading back home. Is it the van, the adapter or the car thats got the problem. Killing two birds with one stone we popped around a friends house and hooked up the car to their 12N socket and all was OK thus pointing the finger at the van. When we got back home I took a look at the wiring diagram in the servicing book in case there was an in-line fuse or something and suddenly I noticed something that looked like a side-marker was labelled as an indicator as well - then the penny dropped: there's a repeater on the side of the van and it must be this bulb thats blown - BUT - it's wired in SERIES with the rear lamp, not PARALLEL so - with this bulb gone all the indicator circuits on that side of the van are dead!!!!

Now all we have to do is go back to the van, work out how to get the lens of the side repeater, get the bulb out, go back to Halford's, find it's equivalent, go back to the van again, refit everything and then try the indicators again....

Oh Joy wall.JPGwall.JPG

18 answers to this question

Posted

Thats quite scary, does it mean then that the indicator at the back of the van isn't getting the full 12v? Hmm, ohms law, too late for that methinks!

Posted

Neil, Two bulbs wired in parallel on a 12v supply requires two 12v bulbs.

Two bulbs wired in series on a 12v supply requires two 6v bulbs.

If the bulb you removed from the rear is 12v/21w then the two bulbs on that circuit are in parallel.

Is it just the indicator on one side that is'nt working?

Dave

Posted

Yep - Right hand side indicators are dead. I've even had the plugs apart and checked that (A) the cables are all connected and (B) the terminals are clean and the ends spread to make good contact.

Diagram in the servicing books definitely seems to show the lights wired in series - weird or what?????

Posted

I was shot down previously but....

I did say some weeks ago in here that you must take care -- as there is no standard for wiring caravans---

Now I am open to be shot down again -- but from what I have seen and heard over many years of caravaning--- there seems to be a great divergence from what is actually done to what is written.. and also installed...

The manufacturers give lip service to standard wirings diagrams etc...

But they are mostly all different...

You must take care when connecting your vehicle as they don't all perform the same...

I don't care whether it is BS or VDU or French code Napoleon -- they don't always work..

Check....

Posted

I'm very sure that it is just the way the circuit is drawn in your handbook that is misleading you Neil. There won't be anything in your 'van wired in series.... trust me!

I haven't had any experience with the 13 pin adapters but as you have 'proved' your car that rules the car wiring out.

On the caravan the British standard wiring for indicators is pin 1 and 4 (LH and RH)

Looking in the CC handbook p. 600 they are the same Pin Numbers on the 13 pin socket.

Try swapping the wires to pins 1 and 4

on the caravan 13 pin plug and see if the fault swaps. If it does then the fault is on the adapter. If it doesn't then it's your 'van.

Dave

P.S. don't forget to swap them back blushing.gif

Posted

Dail - we had to use the 13 pin to 12N/12S adapter to book up to our friends van - so I think the adapter is OK as well. Fault seems to lie within the 'van...... no.gifno.gif

Posted

Duuuuuuuuh are you proving my point !!!

even though things appear to be correct.. they aint...

Cars and vans are different animals... you have just been on about changing over the "standard" wiring to see if it will work....

and if it don't then it is the fault of the caravan !!!!

This has been happening for ages and people just seem to accept it.. that there needs to be some sort of problem to get-sorted between vans and cars...

Not all cars -- not all vans -- but here are definitely some that are not wired "correctly" what ever correctly is these days...

Posted

OK so it's the car with the 13 pin socket. It sounds like it's just the repeater bulb that has blown then Neil.

Dave

Posted

OK  so it's the car with the 13 pin socket.  It sounds like it's just the repeater bulb that has blown then Neil.

Dave

Posted

It sounds to me like an earthing fault - quite often in my experience a squirt of WD40 on the end of the earth on the chassis will do the trick.

Posted

It sounds to me like an earthing fault - quite often in my experience a squirt of WD40 on the end of the earth on the chassis will do the trick.

Posted

I was shot down previously but....

I did say some weeks ago in here that you must take care -- as there is no standard for wiring caravans---

Now I am open to be shot down again -- but from what I have seen and heard over many years of caravaning---  there seems to be a great divergence from what is actually done to what is written.. and also installed...

The manufacturers give lip service to standard wirings diagrams etc...

But they are mostly all different...

You must take care when connecting your vehicle as they don't all perform the same...

I don't care whether it is BS or VDU  or French code Napoleon -- they don't always work..

Check....

Posted

Can I suggest you get out your trusty digital multi-meter, turn the dial to Ohms and check the resistance of the indicator circuits on the van?

With the car / van disconnected from each other, connect your meter to the van's 13 pin Euro / ISO plug :

"Earth" is pin 3

Left turn indicator is pin 1

Right turn is pin 4

If both circuits and bulbs are OK, then the measured resistance should be the same both sides. Note: hobby DVM are not very accurate measuring close to 1 Ohm, so a 21 watt bulb may measure between 0.5 and 1 Ohm and a 5 watt bulb may measure close to 3 Ohms.

If you have two bulbs in parallel, and one has blown then the resistance on that side will be higher - doubling the measured resistance if the bulbs are the same watt power.

If one side has a high resistance (> 20 Ohms) then you've got some corrosion in the van circuitry, etc. You then need to find the corrosion, release the connectors, clean, cover the metal faces with a light film of vaseline, and reconnect. I have no real faith in WD40 for a long term fix because it's just paraffin oil.

Robert

Posted

Right - went back over to the van yesterday in the freezing cold sleet and rechecked it all. Stripped down the side repeater and that was working OK no.gif

Stripped out the rear light cluster (NOT a 5 minute job...) and the new bulb wasn't working. Just as an off-chance I swapped the rear fog light bulb over and - lo and behold - working indicators again. Got the hump over a brand new bulb being duff, got it bigger when I realized I'd left the other bulb at home so went down to Halfords to get another bulb pack being pee'd off with this job!

Returned with the new bulb pack - bought Bosch bulbs again as the Mercedes faulty light indicator apparently doesn't like Halfords ones- went to fit the new bulb - and found that instead of fitting a new bulb first time around, I'd mixed them up and put the old bulb back in blushing.gifblushing.gifblushing.gif Talk about egg on face time!!

Anyways we now have a nice set of working flashers for the New Year rally and one thing less for me to worry about.....

Posted

Blimey Neil fear.gif it's just as well your in the IT section at Fords mwah1.gif

sofa.gifblowup.gif

Posted

Anyways we now have a nice set of working flashers for the New Year rally and one thing less for me to worry about.....

Posted

Blimey Neil fear.gif it's just as well your in the IT section at Fords mwah1.gif

sofa.gifblowup.gif

Posted

I love these acronyms....

who realy thinks of them.... lol.gif

Click this banner for a Motorhome and Touring Caravan insurance quote from Caravan Guard
  • Topics

• Catches this week
      By carper · Posted
      I’m off again on Thursday and hopefully getting more. That fish was my first from this water for a long time. I left the club about 15 years ago. There have been a lot of changes since then especially in the fish size apparently there are at least 20x20s and 4x30s. So I am hoping for something a lot bigger
    • Catches this week
      By shipbroker · Posted
      Had five nights Greenhill Leisure managed a couple of days scrap bashing small roach....next man had six carp on pellet nice to see. They have three small lakes and one new large one...carp to 20lb plus we believe,free fishing if staying on site. Geoff
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anna85

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts