Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how can you tell the age of your caravan ?

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Sorry im new to this site and to caravaning blushing.gif so you may have been asked this before.

My question is we have brought a swift covette 4 birth caravan and was told by the last owners that it was a 1992 model.

Can you tell / confirm how old the caravan is from the chassis plate ? as i need to put the chassis plate number & age of our caravan on my insurance application paperwork.

thanks.

ps great web site.

Posted

Hi, Perhaps the easyist way is to phone Swifts customer care helpline quoting the chassis No:

Posted

The prefix on the chassis number should have 92 in it to show the year.

Click here too for the VIN number:

Posted

The prefix on the chassis number should have 92 in it to show the year.

Look here too for the VIN number:

Posted

the prefix number is 96 then two other numbers (4 in total) surely its not a 96 model ? as i didn't pay 1996 money for it.

the road salt has attacked the chassis plate quite bad and its just readable if you wet your finger and rub it.

I can make out chassis manufactorer is syspal ltd then there telephone number is unreadable then there is a clear plate with just 4 digits stamped in it.....so i can see.

Posted

1992 will have the VIN/Cris number etched on all the windows.

The Corvette was made from 1982 until 91 and as 'Diamond' Corvette from 1990 until 94

All were 14' 3" internal until 93 which was 15' and in 94 16'

Posted

Blimey G UKCS didn't know you frequented there as well no.gif

Posted

Thanks every one, I think then it must be a 92/93 as the internal size mesures 15 ft.

One final question, do you know where i can get any new Swift Corvette stickers, as i may in the spring, respray the two tone green stripes down the sides, in two tone blue to match the car artist.gif

but Swift leisure caravans don't do them any more. any idea's

Posted

I had our new decals made by a local plastic sign maker, first I took photos and then traced round the text and took measurements to add to the tracing. The guy then feeds this all into a computer and chooses an exact or very close font. The next bit is great as the information goes to what looks like a small version of your grandma's mangle but in fact is what is known as a cutter plotter, this cuts the design out in seconds from a roll of self adhesive vinyl the colour of which you choose to match or pick a new colour.

We did the whole of our van for ?50

Ask Ian (Bellie) how to put it on the easy way...did I struggle yes.gif

PS, I may of deceived you as my internal size measurement only go back until 1990, but if it is 92 or 93 then it has to be marked as I said on the bottom right corner of all the windows with the Vin/cris number.

In two lines the first three letters of the second line will be 'SWN'' for 92 or 'SWP' in 93

Posted

how can you tell the age of your caravan ?

Posted

PS, I may of deceived you as my internal size measurement only go back until 1990, but if it is 92 or 93 then it has to be marked as I said on the bottom right corner of all the windows with the Vin/cris number.

In two lines the first three letters of the second line will be 'SWN'' for 92 or 'SWP' in 93

Posted

Terry ... post a picture of the outside of your 'van and I will date it for you.

Posted

Terry ... post a picture of the outside of your 'van and I will date it for you.

Posted

Its a 1988 or 1989, most likely an '88 cos most '89s had a window in the door.

Posted

Its a 1988 or 1989, most likely an '88 cos most '89s had a window in the door.

Posted

Its not uncomon for people to make mistakes over age. Worst case I saw was 11 years out!

Some people no doubt do it to get a better price for the 'van others will just be mistaken.

Posted

As i said earlier im not upset or bothered to much, because its our first caravan and it was cheap, and it is very very clean inside / out.

so we will be useing it to go to the British Superbikes raceing thoughout the coming year, and purhaps a couple of small weekend breaks away, then if we enjoy the caravan expirenence then next year we will buy a newer one.

Thanks again to every one for there input & help

Posted

here is an 1989 one with window in door

it been sold but was up for

2700 ovno

[attachmentid=4477]

Posted

Cheers John,

it the same, as you say just with a window in the door, except ours was only ?1200 i said it was cheap. not bad for a first caravan, it has new fridge fitted, a cooker & oven that looks like it never been used, it has a carver heater / water heater, new 12v battery & mains 240v hook up, and 24ov sockets fitted inside as well and 2x gas bottles fitted, and it has an Alko stabilizer fitted & the lock.

not bad for ?1200 is it.......

we have brought a few new bits to go inside ect, new toilet, fresh water & waist containers, mains power leads, but we can use them in the next caravan as well.

Posted

as long as your happy thats all that counts

enjoy it

Posted

offtopic.gifjump1.gif

Posted

Thanks Gary.

Im still confused stars.gif My windows are marked at the botom right hand corner, but there made up with 6 numbers & letters but none say 92/93....one part says 0L2 _ _ _ ive looked at some of the other links people have put on here (vin plates) as well, and the whole vin plate problem seems to be very messy for the older type caravans, I think by the sound of it later caravans vin plates / chassis plate have it sorted now.

I guess i'll have to speke with a Swift dealer to confirm its age.

Posted

For ?1200 don't worry no.gif if it does the job and your happy that's all you need.

Newer van depreciate more than that yearly blushing.gif

Good luck & happy camping thumbup.gif

Posted

As Iain says nine years is not unknown and three and four is common place, why though does it always seems to be in the sellers favour!!

I have just bought an 85 van as an 87 on the word of the owner who was told as such by the previous owner. They in turn were told by the original owner who was known to them and now over eleven years ago!.

Today we are used to vans being sold sometimes before they are even made! but this has not always been true. I can only guess the truth but one possible perhaps is this van had stood unsold and as one would do with most things, the owner started counting when he purchased his 'new van'

Posted

I think you could be right, I think deep down they know how old it could be, they just want to up the years to make it sound cheap for its age, if that makes sence.

but as someone said just now (sorry forgot there name), new caravans do depreciate more that that in its newer years than what ive just paid,

so im still very happy with what ive got, and it will do me for my first caravan, and i'll keep you all informed as to its progress and my thoughts on caravaning. thumbup.gif

• 2016 nights away
      By carper · Posted
      Sonja can you put us down for 7 nights at Lakeside Springs Sutton on Sea. Never again. Total now 116   Thanks     Les
    • Fiat 500X
      By GaryB · Posted
      .......as an example, below is a picture of both of my cars, the one on the left was built in 2013 and has a kerbweight of 1640kgs, the one on the right was built in 1957 and is a foot wider and nealy 2 feet longer, it's engine is a heavy cast-iron V8.  Kerbweight guesses?  2 tonnes?  Nope, try 3270 lbs (1483 kgs) due to a complete lack of gadgets and complex wiring that new cars now have.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    G4RY..

• Popular Contributors

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts