Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adapters for French gas bottles

27 posts in this topic

Posted

We are going to France for a month soon. french_grin.gif

Our current setup is that we have a Truma heater and a gas cooker which are fed from a Calor gas bottle via a 50mbar regulator.

One option would be to take 2 gas bottles but if possible we would like to arrange it so that we can buy a French gas bottle while we are there.

We spend nearly all our holiday in France, so it seems to make good sense.

The question is, is it possible to buy an adapter fitting so that our UK regulator will fit a French bottle?

The van was originally German - hence the 50mbar, which is not a common operating pressure. Last time we were over there we tried to buy a French regulator at 50mbar, but failed. We still have the German one, and have it so that they are inter-changeable on a pig-tail, but I don't know if that helps either!

We are going via the Eurotunnel. I believe there is a caravan accessories shop in Calais but I don't know exactly where. Can anyone help? help.gif

Posted

Lorna

How long do you intend to stay in France? The reason I ask is that we use 2 X 6kgs propane and I would think these would last us between 6 and 8 weeks. We only use them for cooking as we tend only to go in the summer and always use electrics.

However if you are keen to buy gas bottles Doc is your man as he has done this very thing and I am sure he will be able to provide you with the info you need.

David

Posted

We go to France for 5 weeks each year we generally take two bottles with us 1 x 7kg calor and 1 x 907 camping gas as these are readily available and cheaper in France..

We normally operate on the 907 cylinder and when that shows signs of running out change over onto the "English" blue while we nip down to the local Eric l'eclerk for a new 907...

However saying that we generally manage the holiday and only get another 907 during the last week....

You can get an automatic (or manual) change over valve where you have both bottles connected from this company

gaslow co.

They also sell connectors (regulators) for differing bottles..

don't know if this helps?

Posted

We are going to France for a month soon.  french_grin.gif

. . . . . . . . .  .

I believe there is a caravan accessories shop in Calais but I don't know exactly where.  Can anyone help? help.gif

Posted

If you buy a French cylinder they are invariably sold with regulators (d?tendeurs)....

...The 50mb regulators are not, now, so common, but should be available if you are lucky. .. . I've got a list of various French Caravan and accessory dealers; if you have some idea as to where you are going I could see if there are any likely ones around.

Posted

I have just spent 6+ weeks in dear old Frogglie and didn't use up all of a 907 cylinder. Its used for cooking only!

Posted

Did you eat out a lot then Gordon? thumbup.gif

Posted

We're on an open-ended tour of France at the moment, and cannot find anywhere to obtain a refill for a 6kg propane, so I'd recommend anyone taking plenty with them. That said, we find that a bottle lasts us upwards of 6 weeks and we have two in the caravan, so we have a while to go before the situation becomes urgent.

If anyone can recommend how we find a way of refilling (or exchanging), I'd appreciate them sharing it with me. Also, we're heading for Italy after we've tired of France and don't know the score there, so any pointers would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Jeremy.

Posted

Hi Jeremy,

Think about getting a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder and rgeulator/connector in France if you intend Euro touring. Gaz is more readily interchangeable than Total, Cepsa, Repsol, Elf and all the other various "local" to different countries makes.

You can change Gaz in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Germany no problems AFAIK, and although it's like "horrendously" expensive here in the UK wall.JPG , prices sur le continong go down as low as 4.50 euros in Spain, last time I heard a price for Italy, 6.70 euros etc etec yes.gif

The onlty major difference is you may have to change the bottle at say, "It is I, L'Eclerc" in France, and at a "Ferreteria" (Ironmongers) in Spain instead of at the campsites. secret.gif

HTH

Mel

scot.bmp

Posted

Take 2 x 6/7 kg Calor gas and a Camping Gas 907 cylinder with adaptor (Camping Gas being available nearly anywhere) but doubt you'll need it as you should have more than enough Calor gas.

We have had two 6 weeks plus trips recently with the last one where lightning took out our fridge element so were dependant on gas and got by.

(Doc) Tony couldn't agree more about Calais Caravannes yes.gif

Posted

we tour in Europe each year and have found that UK gas bottle are next to useless over there.

The only consistent ones that you can get all over Europe is the GAZ bottles in all the sises -- but i would suggest that you get a 907 (largest) and the adaptor for use over there if you are going on a protracted journey..

The other course is to get one of the European gas bottle ( of which there are many ) from a local garage... the problem with this they aren't Universal and may not be able to get in the next country...

We travel with a 7 kg Calor and a 907 Camping Gaz -- the reason we only have one 907 is simply the cost of the bottle -- we don't need two...

The way we work is to "run" on the 907 and when that is empty turn over to the Calor -- whist hastily nipping to the shop to get a new 907 -- which as I said are readily available.. this goes back on straight away we get it...

We have toured like this for months at a time and the Blue seems to last fro ever -- certainly till we get back home any way...

So the answer is get a Camping Gaz 907

Posted

we tour in Europe each year and have found that UK gas bottle are next to useless over there.

Posted

Why if you start with 2 full bottles giving you 12 or 14 KG of gas? stars.gif

Posted

Have you tried to replace them over there? lol.gif?

Posted

My point was what ever UK bottles you have you WILL require a bottle that you can replace universally over Europe -- and that generally is the Camping Gaz...

that was the answer...

not the preference of how you use it...

Posted

My point was what ever UK bottles you have you WILL require a bottle that you can replace universally over Europe -- and that generally is the Camping Gaz...

that was the answer...

not the preference of how you use it...

Posted

2 bottle (14 KG) = ~ 36Kg full

take 1 bottle and save ~18 Kg full or 11 kg empty..

11 kg = space for wine -- aprox 15 bottles

Posted

2 bottle (14 KG)? = ~ 36Kg full

take 1 bottle and save? ~18 Kg

space for wine

Posted

next year I am taking a 36 kg propane -- it is so cheap in the UK only ?6 more than 2 x 7 kg's -- for more than twice as much gas !!!

wowowo

I will save ?????????????????'s

more than the extra I would have paid on a 907 cylinder.... so I will be quids in !!!!!!

trouble is that it weighs in at 56Kg I wonder where I can put it in the van -- But it is the cheapest option .... and if it runs out I still cant change it in Europe - fear.gif - so I think I had better have a 907 in reserve !! yes.gif

Posted

OK Maurice secret.gif how about taking the air out of your tyres and that's more weight you've saved so =more wine wine.gif

user posted image Good Luck mwah1.gifmwah1.gifmwah1.gif

Posted

Another 2p worth! yes.gif

Extensive touring in Europe over a long period of time (six months at a time?) makes me stand by suggesting getting a 907 and using that as your gas supply. The "ideal" setup for me is a Gaslow switch into the two regulators, a Calor (well Propane anyway) on one leg, and a Camping Gaz on'tother. thumbup.gif

Simple switch over when one runs out and replace. (The Delta even has a wee door into the front locker above the gas bottles, don't even need to go outside jump1.gif )

BUT, we also have a two ring leccie hob cost us equivalent of ?19.00 from LIDL in Spain, and an outside socket on the awning side of the van. Set it up on a table and do "one-pot" meals and casseroley-ish things on it. You're paying for the leccie, why not use it? thumbup.gif

We've managed the whole six months on one Propane, and two 907's doing this, and still had some Propane when we came back! lol.gif

And you CAN replace the 907 in more countries than anything else with less hassle than anything else.

rolleyes.gif

Regards

mel

scot.bmp

Posted

Extensive touring in Europe over a long period of time (six months at a time?) makes me stand by suggesting getting a 907 and using that as your gas supply. The "ideal" setup for me is a Gaslow switch into the two regulators, a Calor (well Propane anyway) on one leg, and a Camping Gaz on'totherthumbup.gif

Simple switch over when one runs out and replace. (The Delta even has a wee door into the front locker above the gas bottles, don't even need to go outside jump1.gif )

scot.bmp

Posted

I'd be grateful if you could give us an address or two. We are headed down the east of France, destination Besancon and environs. We are travelling on a midnight train on a Friday, so we could arrange to make a detour for some sleep then a shopping trip on Saturday morning if the prospects looked good. . . . . . . .

Posted

This is exactly what we have -- remember to get a different pigtail though for the 907

Posted

I sorry but anyone that can do 183 days of camping on under 12 kgs of gas is a magician or as he has already said using electric a great deal.

• Chassis cracks
      By LLC · Posted
      Here are two pics which locatethe previous 2 pics of the chassis cracks. They are behind the axle on both sides of the caravan.  
    • Books again
      By nor · Posted
      Wow 18 books you will have to go away a lot to read all of those.  I hope they are good .  But it's always worth buying them when you see a bargain . I always look for books . In charity shops or car boot sales. 
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jgb

There are no registered users currently online

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
      nor
    2. 2
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics